Knitting

dancegrl1093

<font color=purple>I have been trying nonstop to w
Hi!!!! I can't believe I never noticed this board until today!!!!!!! Anyways, I'm a knitter, I'm a kid, so Knitter+Kid= Old Lady Trapped In Kid's Body?????? Do any of you have any good knitting patterns to share???? And does anyone have any good Disney design knitting patterns????

There is a show on DIY called Knitty Gritty that I love b/c she does fun hip stuff an it doesn't look old ladyish. They post all the patterns on the DIY network website and they are free. Most of them are pretty easy and usually the guest has a book that the patterns come from that you can look up. Also the internet is a great source and that's how I initially learned how to knit in the first place. I think About.com is where I got most of my info and some initial patterns.

I have seen patterns for Disney stuff at Hobby Lobby and Jo-ann's. Not sure if it was for knitting or crocheting though. A technique I used to use for cross stitch though was to take clip art and print it out on graph paper grid. You may have to play with the grid size and picture size to get it so you don't have four colors in one sqaure, but it should work. If you are making a sweater, just use the dimentions from a book or one of the websites above. You can get some pretty easy sweater designs that are from beginner's if you look for it. Just insert the picture using intarsia (sp?) or far isle. You can find instructions for both on the internet. I haven't done either but they don't seem too difficult. I think the Knitty Gritty area of the website may have video stream because I know I've seen shows on it. Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

Mom2LnE said:
There is a show on DIY called Knitty Gritty that I love b/c she does fun hip stuff an it doesn't look old ladyish. They post all the patterns on the DIY network website and they are free. Most of them are pretty easy and usually the guest has a book that the patterns come from that you can look up. Also the internet is a great source and that's how I initially learned how to knit in the first place. I think About.com is where I got most of my info and some initial patterns.

I have seen patterns for Disney stuff at Hobby Lobby and Jo-ann's. Not sure if it was for knitting or crocheting though. A technique I used to use for cross stitch though was to take clip art and print it out on graph paper grid. You may have to play with the grid size and picture size to get it so you don't have four colors in one sqaure, but it should work. If you are making a sweater, just use the dimentions from a book or one of the websites above. You can get some pretty easy sweater designs that are from beginner's if you look for it. Just insert the picture using intarsia (sp?) or far isle. You can find instructions for both on the internet. I haven't done either but they don't seem too difficult. I think the Knitty Gritty area of the website may have video stream because I know I've seen shows on it. Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

thanks!!!! i've made up my own version of fairisle, but it seems to work nicely. there is also a book called knitted babes that shows you how to make these oddly cute dolls.

Lion brand yarn has a great website that includes patterns for kids.

lionbranddotcom

Go to where you buy your yarn. Look at each brand of yarn label. Each company has a site that offers free patterns.

Buy the magazine Creative Knitting. It has a lot of up to date patterns.

I agree, you have to watchout for dated knitting patterns. That's why going to the yarn websites is a good idea because they are providing patterns to sell their newest yarns.

Is it easy to teach yourself to knit? I just bought a kit because knitting is always something I've wanted to do. How did everybody learn?

LBAK said:
Is it easy to teach yourself to knit? I just bought a kit because knitting is always something I've wanted to do. How did everybody learn?

I actually taught myself about 2 years ago when my DDnow 8 had about 10 girls she wanted to buy Christmas gifts for. I have a Reader's Digest book that has just about everykind of needlework in it. My GM gave it to me about 27 years ago. That book and a few blog pages on the internet is what I used. I made 10 scarves with novelty eyelash yarn that I bought on sale for $2 a skein. $20 for 10 little girl gifts. I've been hooked ever since.

Although I usually try to stay with inexpensive yarns, yarn buying can become addictive. I made myself finish all the projects I had bought yarn for before I could make anything else. I just went to the yarn store yesterday and spent $100 on yarns for just 2 projects. I use the inexpensive yarn for gifts; I keep the imported mohair for me. :lovestruc

See if there is a yarn store in your area that teaches classes. My yarn store has classes almost everday of the month and is actually set up so that you can sit in one of her cozy areas and knit and ask for help if you need it. There are usually other women there too who are more than willing to help. I have gone so far as to sit with a woman at a craft fair for an hour while she taught me some stitch variations that I was having a problem with. Most knitters are very friendly. If you see one of us in Starbucks, accost us and we'll be more than happy to show you what we know.

Just invest in a decent "learn to knit" book. (Take the time to read it and make sure you understand the directions before you buy it.) I would start off with some inexpensive yarn. Hobby Lobby has a decent selection for under $2 a skein that is not like plastic. Knitting needles are a preference. I love bamboo needles. They are anywhere from $8-$30 a pair. Yikes!! So I use aluminum which are usually cheaper ($3-$4 a pair) and don't break if I happen to sit on them.

Hope this helps!!

I'm in my mid 20s and I knit as well. Have you checked out www.knitty.com it is published a few times a year and it has some cute free patterns. Also www.magknits.com is another on although I don't like the patterns in there as much as knitty. Also Interweave knits the magazine has some hip patterns in it you can go to www.interweave.com and view the projects from the current issue and previous issues to see if there are any you like.

LBAK said:

My grandma taught me about 6 or so years ago the basic stitches how to cast on, purl and knit. I further taught myself through the http://www.knittinghelp.com/ videos. There are tons of knitting books out there as well but the videos really helped me alot.

Knitting is super addictive and expensive as well. There are tons of yarns ranging from low quality to high quality. If you want the best a typical sweater will cost you almost hundred dollars in yarn. Of course you can get cheaper yarn as well if you would rather go that route! Have fun learning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter