Lessons from your family that stuck with you most

What I learned by watching my parents is that you get what you give. They always freely gave. Whether it was their time, love, gifts, food, whatever. People from all walks of life loved my parents. They drew people in like moths to a flame.
What my Dad specifically tried to teach my sister and I was to judge a person by their actions and nothing else. He also said to always give people respect....until the did something to lose it.
Mom, well, she came from an unusual childhood and the deep south, so she basically told us to always smile and to kill them with kindness. And that someone is always watching :)

Sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad.

Rigid planning. Growing you planned things efficiently, you showed up on time or early, you made plans with someone you keep them you don't ditch them for something better, when it comes to errands my mom was really big on a circle type thing basically just meant planning your errands so you weren't criss-crossing all town and I still do that.

As I got older and I am still actively doing it learning to not be so rigid. I've missed out on some fun things because no I had keep this plan and it was something that could have easily moved, when we do things with my husband's family they are not quite the opposite but certainly don't do the planning I do.

We went and go doughnuts a few weeks back and the place did drive through only due to covid and I'm like "so what's the plan, we going to a park or something to sit and eat together, what time are we meeting your sister (who was joining us in her own car), etc." and my husband was like "IDK"...grrr it irked me to no end to not know. Then in the car my mother-in-law says "well I found this park about 10 mins from the place" well whew at least her and I were thinking the same about the park. But then we had to rope in the sister-in-law and tell her the details of the place, she can't find it so she's calling us to give her directions, no one has been to the park before, etc. Well in the end all was good we found it but yeah that sort of on the fly planning still gets to me, wish it didn't though I've loosened up a lot over the years. But it's come in handy when I think of some part of a get together and my husband never would have thought about it.

On the other hand when it comes to looking at Christmas and Holiday displays around the area I'm your gal I got that thing planned in a circle with google maps in the most efficient way ::yes::

My parents instilled a deep sense of faith in us that was such a big part of our life always. Having that foundation is something I’m super grateful for and carry through my life today.

They also valued getting a good education, working hard and doing the right thing.

Doing the right thing can be tough, but integrity and honesty matter. It’s who you are at the end of the day.

Doing the right thing can be tough, but integrity and honesty matter. It’s who you are at the end of the day.
That was a big one for my father, as well. When you give your word, that should mean something. and that you do the right thing even when no one is watching.

What I learned by watching my parents is that you get what you give.
This is one I try to impart to my own kids. It's amazing how, when you give, good comes back to you.

Rigid planning. Growing you planned things efficiently, you showed up on time or early, you made plans with someone you keep them you don't ditch them for something better, when it comes to errands my mom was really big on a circle type thing basically just meant planning your errands so you weren't criss-crossing all town and I still do that.

As I got older and I am still actively doing it learning to not be so rigid. I've missed out on some fun things because no I had keep this plan and it was something that could have easily moved, when we do things with my husband's family they are not quite the opposite but certainly don't do the planning I do.

We went and go doughnuts a few weeks back and the place did drive through only due to covid and I'm like "so what's the plan, we going to a park or something to sit and eat together, what time are we meeting your sister (who was joining us in her own car), etc." and my husband was like "IDK"...grrr it irked me to no end to not know. Then in the car my mother-in-law says "well I found this park about 10 mins from the place" well whew at least her and I were thinking the same about the park. But then we had to rope in the sister-in-law and tell her the details of the place, she can't find it so she's calling us to give her directions, no one has been to the park before, etc. Well in the end all was good we found it but yeah that sort of on the fly planning still gets to me, wish it didn't though I've loosened up a lot over the years. But it's come in handy when I think of some part of a get together and my husband never would have thought about it.

On the other hand when it comes to looking at Christmas and Holiday displays around the area I'm your gal I got that thing planned in a circle with google maps in the most efficient way ::yes::
I would probably drive you crazy, then! :lmao: I plan, to a degree, but I also have a spontaneous, “let’s see how it goes”, “how ’bout we do this today“ streak, lol. My DH is more like you, but he‘s also pretty flexible. My family didn’t have a lot of “structure” growing up; DH’s did, more like yours. I suppose the family we’ve made has a combination of both, with both kids being more like DH when it comes to planning, especially in their school and work lives. During down time and things like vacations, they are more spontaneous. Holidays mirror the same by branch of the family 😅 (and work schedules). Come to think of it, I’ve never really given it this much thought before, lol.

I would probably drive you crazy, then! :lmao: I plan, to a degree, but I also have a spontaneous, “let’s see how it goes”, “how ’bout we do this today“ streak, lol. My DH is more like you, but he‘s also pretty flexible. My family didn’t have a lot of “structure” growing up; DH’s did, more like yours. I suppose the family we’ve made has a combination of both, with both kids being more like DH when it comes to planning, especially in their school and work lives. During down time and things like vacations, they are more spontaneous. Holidays mirror the same by branch of the family 😅 (and work schedules). Come to think of it, I’ve never really given it this much thought before, lol.
My husband and I tend to do well with each other and flexibility, involving other people and well that's where I get going :rotfl:

The in-laws love me on vacation because I've done a lot of the planning but my husband actually takes more the cake on that one. He usually has an itinerary sometimes even planned to the hour-ish (meaning from around this time to this time we're here). The only trip where I took 95% of it all was our 2017 WDW trip, but our two 2019 DLR trips he took up more planning. This 2022 WDW trip I've asked him to do more of planning than the trips before. But the difference is he's not as annoyed as I get when timing gets messed up (like can't get the in-laws up and going, hit traffic, etc). But when it's just my husband and I on vacation there's a lot more "go with the flow" feel even with all the planning.

Holidays on my side of the family are great because of the planning. If it's said "eating around 12:30-1" we'll eat around then. But if that was my mother-in-law especially eating would be more like 2-2:30 even if it was said 12:30-1.

I think we've all kinda blended a bit more on that one but there's still room to improve. I mean I really can't be as rigid on planning all the time but on the other hand it's incredibly inconsiderate to be a flake or to never be able to to commit time management side.

Be generous when you can, of both time and money...
And another thing that was “caught more than taught” was to never lend, only give when it came to money. Give what you can afford with an open heart and no strings attached but loans between family or friends always - always alter the relationship in some way.

From my dad, "Do smart things" and "You can't always get what you want" (it was a surprise to find out he didn't actually like the Rolling Stones that much, because he sang this to us plenty as kids).
From my mom, bargain hunting. Always look for the best price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter