Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

The oh, I want that Cheshire Cat one (though DH will give me really hard time about it... I already have a whole bunch of masks and other face coverings, because I love color matching & accessorizing). I have to check for it at our Disney store, here!

Ordered some of the new masks with the new material and did a rush so they could get here before we are in parks and I am so glad we did! These are super comfortable and the sizing was right on! If we find some more when we are in parks, we will probably get them.

Hi. I was at my local Disney store and was very happy to see the huge selection of Masks they have. But the one I really wanted to purchase was the one with the Haunted Mansion Wallpaper, however, This mask was only available in size Medium. They had size Large and XL for all other designs.

So I have a question, will the Medium size mask fit an adult woman? Or are they only for children?

Hi. I was at my local Disney store and was very happy to see the huge selection of Masks they have. But the one I really wanted to purchase was the one with the Haunted Mansion Wallpaper, however, This mask was only available in size Medium. They had size Large and XL for all other designs.
So I have a question, will the Medium size mask fit an adult woman? Or are they only for children?
Disney mask sizing runs smaller than other brands. S = little kid. M = big kid. L = teen/women. XL = women/men. The cotton masks run a bit smaller than the newer polyester designs, but the difference isn't dramatic. If the mask itself is fine, but the ear loops are too small/tight, some posters have been able to cut the loops and add about an inch or so of elastic to adjust the fit.

Is the new HM fabric or the old one? The new masks run bigger than the old one do a medium may fit an adult with a smaller face.

Is the new HM fabric or the old one? The new masks run bigger than the old one do a medium may fit an adult with a smaller face.
I think it might be an older one possibly since they were short on stock on that design.

Has anyone here been making masks regularly? I don't even know if this is the best thread for it. I bought some adorable Disney fabrics at Joann and wanted to make our own for our trip next week. I am having a hard time finding *the best* pattern/template?

I tried making my own template from a mask I bought at Francescas which is my favorite but my homemade version is like 90% as good. Not quite sure what I am missing with my template! LOL. I also tried the pot lid/bowl technique which works OK enough. My most recent attempt was using the template from www.shabbyfabrics.com and I made the small which was still pretty big and the bottom didn't hug around my chin as much as I wanted. The large size takes up like an entire sheet of paper (it's not my scaling either cause it's a PDF). I am wondering who fit's that thing! Her accompanying video tutorial was the best for a (very) mediocre seamstress like me.

I have been practicing making masks using old fabric and t sheets so I don't waste my good Disney prints but would love a link to a well fitting template. Also on my to do list for today is to make some plain masks and add some Disney Cricut vinyl onto.

Has anyone here been making masks regularly? I don't even know if this is the best thread for it. I bought some adorable Disney fabrics at Joann and wanted to make our own for our trip next week. I am having a hard time finding *the best* pattern/template?

I tried making my own template from a mask I bought at Francescas which is my favorite but my homemade version is like 90% as good. Not quite sure what I am missing with my template! LOL. I also tried the pot lid/bowl technique which works OK enough. My most recent attempt was using the template from www.shabbyfabrics.com and I made the small which was still pretty big and the bottom didn't hug around my chin as much as I wanted. The large size takes up like an entire sheet of paper (it's not my scaling either cause it's a PDF). I am wondering who fit's that thing! Her accompanying video tutorial was the best for a (very) mediocre seamstress like me.

I have been practicing making masks using old fabric and t sheets so I don't waste my good Disney prints but would love a link to a well fitting template. Also on my to do list for today is to make some plain masks and add some Disney Cricut vinyl onto.
I sew for the Auntie Sewing Squad and sew a variety of patterns:

prettyhandygirl.com has a well-fitting mask in 4 different sizes

3D mask is also popular:

This pattern is from a WDW seamstress:

This thread got long but there are a number of posts earlier on about making masks and good patterns to use.

I find the 3-D (also called Octagon) mask to be the best fitting and it's also pretty easy to make (well, maybe not quite as simple as a basic pleated mask but not too much harder). I was originally making contour masks but we all prefer the octagon for fit and "wearability". Here's a couple of octagon's I made.

This site has good instructions and info on the octagon mask 3D Mask Template

Thank you all for these!!!!!! I am going to work on some today. I, so far, have only made the contour kind.

This thread got long but there are a number of posts earlier on about making masks and good patterns to use.

I find the 3-D (also called Octagon) mask to be the best fitting and it's also pretty easy to make (well, maybe not quite as simple as a basic pleated mask but not too much harder). I was originally making contour masks but we all prefer the octagon for fit and "wearability". Here's a couple of octagon's I made.
View attachment 535110

This site has good instructions and info on the octagon mask 3D Mask Template
I love that SW fabric--I saw it and was tempted but worried the pattern was too big but I am definitely going back for it!

I love that SW fabric--I saw it and was tempted but worried the pattern was too big but I am definitely going back for it!

That's my FAVORITE mask and I get tons of comments on it. Such a great print! Definitely worth taking a moment to ensure the print is aligned well on your pattern pieces with it though and pick which characters you want featured. I have another one that's "dark side" where I positioned the Darth Vader and Stormtrooper heads on the main portion of the mask. So fun (if perhaps not the most efficient use of fabric ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter