Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I still have a lot of thoughts and feelings to unpack about this race experience. Under the right circumstances, I think I'd do it again, but I don't think the right circumstances are likely to happen anytime soon.
Cone Alley was a nightmare being towards the back and I wish there was a little more park time, but overall, I liked the course.

I think I may have seen you waiting in the rain Friday morning! But I’m awkward and didn’t say anything haha!

the rain really sucked Friday morning but hope you had two good races can’t wait to hear about it!

DETAILS!!! That sounds riveting (and terrifying). I'm impressed you were chill enough in your race approach to come so close.
Not as exciting as I make it sound. We were in a character line (during the 5K) and were told that the sweepers were approaching and if they passed while we were in line, we would get swept. I saw the bikes ... and we go out of that line and started sprinting.

I think I may have seen you waiting in the rain Friday morning! But I’m awkward and didn’t say anything haha!

the rain really sucked Friday morning but hope you had two good races can’t wait to hear about it!

No worries, I would also have been awkward and not said anything. I hope you enjoyed the race despite the crappy weather!

I should not travel with other people who have Disney shopping problems.
One of my sisters is perfect for me to visit Disneyland with. She knows me well enough to stop me from making an impulse purchase and when to encourage me to buy something that she knows I will truly love years down the road. She'll also remind me that I really want something else that is coming, so to wait for it. When left to my own devices, things can get interesting.

Princess Half Marathon Weekend Thoughts/Recaps: Part One (The runDisney)

As a reminder, my travel party for this trip was me, my sister Beth (who you may remember from my previous trips), Beth's friend L, and L's fiance R. This was my first time meeting L and R, and they were great - definitely good Disney companions and good people.

Expo:
We were originally planning to go to the expo when we first arrived, but after a delay in getting to the hotel (it involved a Starbucks run and a long DME wait), we decided to do park first then expo. Which is a good thing, because we spent a lot of time at the expo. We got there around 5:20ish and stayed until closing.

Ariel.jpg
Sparkles = Sea Salt (Ariel was weird)

We went to the official runDisney merchandise building first. Vanellope and Ariel were out for pictures - we got pictures with Vanellope before the shopping and Ariel after. We tried on the purple race weekend jacket (sizing was ridiculous - I'm normally a small/medium and the large fit me perfectly), but ended up not getting it because we got the half marathon jacket (which had a hood and zipper pockets and is actually the right size) instead. I probably should have gotten the 5K jacket too, but dang those things ain't cheap. In addition to our jackets, I got a keychain and a Pandora bead, Beth got a few pins, we got a magnet for my parents, and we both got Tervis mugs (the coffee mug shape with the handle). I can't remember what L bought, but I do remember that R arrived while she was waiting to pick up her pre-order stuff and Beth and I were buying more things.

5k31.jpg
Once we had our merchandise haul and had met our princesses, we went to pick up our bibs. We took some pictures with some race-related statues, then headed out to pick up our shirts.
half131.jpg

We picked up our shirts, tried them on, and then did some shopping. I stopped at Sparkle Athletic and got a rose gold skirt. We stopped at Raw Threads but wasn't really impressed by the selection. Beth was looking for something to "princess" up her outfit, but didn't really find anything we liked.

5K:
The plan was to do the 5K as a group. The weather was nasty (cold, windy, rain), so we were out there in our mylar blankets being entirely grumpy about the weather. We were waiting in line for a character (I want to say it was Cinderella or Snow White) and they took the characters inside because of the rain. We stayed in line until it became pretty clear that the characters weren't coming back out, then we went to our corral. Hung out there for a long time and listened to a lot of announcer nonsense and Disney advertising. Carissa told us to take off our mylar blankets before we crossed the start line because of the timing chip. Oh, Carissa. Thankfully, John Pelkey clarified that we could leave our mylar blankets on for the 5K ... and we may want to because the weather was terrible.

We eventually made our way to the start. Plan for this race was to walk the whole thing and try to stop for characters. The first character was Moana, and since L and R were Moana and Maui and Beth and I were HeiHei and Pua inspired, we had to stop. We also stopped for Lilo and Stitch, even though they weren't that exciting of a stop, because why not. We stopped for Rapunzel and Flynn in Germany, and man that line was long (basically all the way into Biergarten). As we were on line, the character attendant said that the sweepers were coming and if we were in line when they passed, we'd get swept. Some people left the line and we moved closer to the front. Then I saw the bikes, so we got out of line and sprinted like hell. We also skipped Belle and the Beast because of lines. I'm bummed about missing both of those stops, but it is what it is. We stopped for Frozone and Mexican Donald because their lines were shorter and we weren't as afraid of the sweepers by then.

I enjoyed the race, but definitely wish we had skipped Lilo and Stitch so that we could get Rapunzel/Flynn. Whatever. It was a fun experience over all and I'm glad we did it as a group. I just wish the weather had been a little better.

Half:
Three of us were doing the half - Beth, L, and me. L had a really good POT, but she wasn't trained for a half and was planning to walk the whole thing (don't worry, she stayed off to the side out of the way of the runners). I used the same POT as last year and was placed in corral D. Beth was in corral F. I decided to start with Beth, but I wasn't sure leading into the race what my approach would be. Ultimately, I decided to start with Beth and separate from her at the first character where I wanted to stop and she didn't.

We were on one of the first buses from Pop (they had a few buses pull up all at once) and got to the start area relatively early. They had some princesses out, and we decided to get a picture with Princess Minnie (okay, fine, I'll allow calling Minnie a princess). We decided that we didn't have time for another line, especially because Beth wanted to be at the front of the corral, so we started the long dark walk to the corrals. I forgot how long it was ... maybe because I was too freaked out about the marathon last year. When we got to the corrals, Beth and I went to F and L went to B. We waited a while, but Carissa wasn't super annoying and they interviewed @stacy~** (who we did not get to meet up with at any point :(), which was cool. Eventually, it was time to go.

Beth and I started pretty close to the front of F. We skipped the first stop (Suzy and Perla) with plans to hit it on the way back, but stopped for the second stop (all the Tremaines). Beth's phone was dying far more rapidly than expected, so we took most of the pictures on my phone. I wanted to stay with Beth until Magic Kingdom. Her reaction to running into Magic Kingdom was exactly why I wanted her to do this race and why it was so important to me that I stay with her for this part of the race. Seeing her emotional reaction reminded me why I love runDisney so much.

halfcastle.jpg

In Magic Kingdom, we skipped some kid from Meet the Robinsons but stopped for Dopey and Snow White. I believe Chip n Dale were also in MK, but we skipped them because we wanted to make up some time. I think right after MK was one of the floats from Festival of Fantasy, so we stopped for that. The fairies from Sleeping Beauty were somewhere after MK, but we decided not to stop for them either. We stopped for one of the characters from A Bug's Life (can't remember her name right now), but skipped the bad guy from Mulan. Then came Cinderella and Prince Charming, which was our longest line, but also a stop we were very excited about. We stopped for Jafar, then a little bit later Suzy and Perla, who had a much shorter line than they did at the start of the race. We stopped for Panchito the creepy stalker bird in Epcot, and then Tinkerbell and one of the new fairies. Our last stop was Bolt, who were were excited to see because we missed him at the 10K in 2016 (we saw Mittens the Kitten instead). And that was it. After Epcot we mostly walked until we got close to the finish line.

racemice.jpg

Beth did great. She was doing walk/run intervals, and we did walk a few of the runs, but we also ran a few of the walks. For someone who only got up to 7 miles in training, she really did amazing and had a good attitude, and I'm super super proud of her. As much as I wish that my first runDisney half had been done on my own terms, I wouldn't trade the experience of seeing her through her first half for anything, and I'm glad we did it this way.

L had finished a few minutes before us, so after we finished and stretched, we went to find her (and R, who had been at MK but may have left right before we got there ... or at least we didn't see him, which we were bummed about). We found them and R had a congratulatory rose and balloon for each of us, which was super sweet. And then we waited in a long line for the bus back to the hotel.

I'm surprised that they were giving a sweep warning at the 5K. First time I've ever heard of them doing that.

I was honestly not expecting running through the Magic Kingdom to be as really cool as it is. Having run through Disneyland many times, I thought it would be similar. Which I suppose it is in one sense, but the cheering spectators along Main Street is a tremendous experience that I will never forget.

So many non princess characters out during Princess weekend surprises me. It doesn't bother me, just surprises me. As a side note if I ever run a Disney race where Rhino the Hamster from Bolt is out, I must stop for him on account of him being my running spirit animal. So many of my marathon mantras are either straight out of his lines in Bolt or slightly adapted to fit running.

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend.

Yo. That picture with Ariel is awesome. Love how the wardrobe choices turned out, and I’m psyched you liked the oft-maligned half course. :stir:

I would love to hear your review on the tervis mug's thermal insulation. I keep thinking I will get one but have a hard time imagining it will keep my coffee warm enough for commuting in a northern climate.

I'm surprised that they were giving a sweep warning at the 5K. First time I've ever heard of them doing that.
I've seen them shorten the course before but never been warned about sweeping. From what I understand, being swept at the 5K just means you get picked up and brought closer to the finish, so you still get to finish but it's not a full 5K.
I guess they gotta clear the park however they can.

I was honestly not expecting running through the Magic Kingdom to be as really cool as it is. Having run through Disneyland many times, I thought it would be similar. Which I suppose it is in one sense, but the cheering spectators along Main Street is a tremendous experience that I will never forget.
For me it's the castle, so I'm guessing I'd feel the same way about Disneyland. But whatever the reason, it's definitely an unforgettable experience and I'm glad I got to share it with my sister.

So many non princess characters out during Princess weekend surprises me. It doesn't bother me, just surprises me. As a side note if I ever run a Disney race where Rhino the Hamster from Bolt is out, I must stop for him on account of him being my running spirit animal. So many of my marathon mantras are either straight out of his lines in Bolt or slightly adapted to fit running.
Rhino would be an awesome character stop! I would definitely stop for him. I don't know if they do Rhino, though ... I've only ever seen Bolt and Mittens.

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend.
Thanks!
Yo. That picture with Ariel is awesome. Love how the wardrobe choices turned out, and I’m psyched you liked the oft-maligned half course. :stir:
Thanks!
Having run it, I don't get why the half course gets so much hate. Yes, cone alley sucks. Yes, I wish there had been a bit more park time (but I know that would be tough, especially with the Epcot construction). But I thought it was a fairly good course and Disney did a great job distracting me with a character or a screen or a DJ any time I was starting to get bored. And I liked the fact that there were some straight roads where we could just get in the zone and run without too much distraction.

I would love to hear your review on the tervis mug's thermal insulation. I keep thinking I will get one but have a hard time imagining it will keep my coffee warm enough for commuting in a northern climate.
So, this mug is not likely to get many hot liquids (although we did fill them with hot water and take them from the Pop food court to our room and the water stayed hot, but that really wasn't much outdoor time). I have the tumbler and I find that it keeps things warmish for a little bit, but not super hot, and not super long. I don't know that it's really the best mug for commuting in northern climates, but it's not the worst either.
That probably wasn't very helpful.

Princess Half Marathon Weekend Thoughts/Recaps: Part Two (The Rest Of It)

Parks:
I made Beth go on Star Tours for the first time because L and R like Star Wars. Beth was the rebel spy. First time on the dang ride and she's the rebel spy. I don't know what to do with this universe. I’m not sure Beth knew what was going on, but L, R, and I were all entertained.

We didn’t get as much park time as we hoped this trip, partially because of some bad decisions, and partially because we didn’t recover as well as we had hoped from the races. Parks were definitely crowded, but we still got some things done. Same-day FP+ availability was not great.

We did MK on Thursday, DHS Friday, MK Sunday, and Epcot/DHS Monday. Contemplated hopping over to Epcot mid-Friday, but we didn’t, and we probably should have. Never made it to Galaxy’s Edge. There was nothing that we absolutely had to do that we didn’t get done, but there were definitely things that we usually do that we didn’t do this trip.

We were at Epcot on the last day of Festival of the Arts, and the one thing I really wanted to do was the paint by numbers, so we did that. It was fun. I got paint on my pants but I think it came out in the wash.

Merch:
Honestly, I was not super impressed with the things they sell in the parks (we never made it to Disney Springs, so parks and Pop Century were my shopping experiences). I had a hard time finding a 2020 keychain I liked, I didn’t see a great supply of kitchen items so I couldn’t find bowls for my mom (the Ink & Paint ones were cute but the wrong size), and I just didn’t really see anything I wanted to buy. Sigh. I think they are focusing on having many designs of a few items (like ear headbands and mugs) instead of a variety of things and I don’t love it.

That said … I was gifted a pair of the Marathon Weekend 4 parks ears by my sister (who was in turn gifted them by L, who also had a pair for herself) and I wore them in the park and didn’t hate them. So now I’m thinking I might buy more ears in the future (I didn’t get the Princess Weekend ones because they didn’t really impress me).

Also, L was using a Loungefly mini backpack for a few days of the trip and it seemed like she fit a lot in there so I’m thinking it might actually be a good park bag and I may want to buy one if I can get one that I like that isn’t white (because I get everything dirty) on sale.

Pop Century:
Honestly, not a huge fan of the renovated room. If you’re a solo traveler or two people who share a bed, it’s not as bad (although I could do without the sliding toilet door and the shower door that doesn’t close), but for us, we had to choose between the second bed and the table and losing the table sucked. We have always used the table as a “staging area”, but we didn’t want to keep having to closing the bed, so we basically just threw things on any surface we could find in a disorganized way.

I did like that it’s a door between the sink and the sleeping area - much better than the old curtain. And the artwork is amazing. But I don’t think those benefits outweigh the downside of not having the table. And the room felt smaller, but that may just have been because I haven’t been there in a few years.

Also, we chose to decline housekeeping and I didn’t like that they inspected the room every day. If we’re in the room, leave us alone. That’s what housekeeping used to do.

Also, BRING BACK THE CLOCK!

Skyliner:
I was very nervous about the Skyliner. I don’t do heights (and I’m not really great with confined spaces, but that actually didn’t come into play that much here). I didn’t love the experience, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The worst parts were any time we went through a tower and the “landings”, because those were the bumpiest parts of the ride. Seriously, any time we hit a tower I was convinced we were gonna fall. That was not fun.

I was told that the cars without the character wraps are “better” because you have a better view, so I figured they’d be worse for me. There actually wasn’t a significant difference for me between character wrap and no character wrap.

Overall, it wasn’t terrible. I’m still more comfortable on a bus, but I can tolerate the Skyliner.
That said … I can look down a little bit from heights, especially if there’s no chance of me falling out of the thing I’m in. If you can’t look down at all, I would not recommend the Skyliner.

Overall Thoughts:
I’m still not entirely sure what to think about this trip. Definitely not our best trip, and if I could go back in time I would change a few things, but it was still a good trip. I think I’ve gotten to the point in my Disney-ness that I don’t have to do every thing every trip, so it was fine that we didn't get to everything, but it still didn't feel like our usual intense trips, and I missed that feeling.
So yeah ... unsure how I feel about this trip.

What's Next:
I would like to go back for Wine and Dine in November, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen, because I still don’t think I can do another solo trip and as far as I know nobody who I would ask to go with me is available. Also … I’m not sure if I can go without Beth again because, while I’m one trip ahead of her now, she’ll be evening things up when she goes for L’s bachelorette in August, and once we’re back to the same number of trips, I don’t know that either one of us is allowed to go without the other one again. So TBD on the next Disney and/or runDisney trip.

No idea what my next race is either. This is the first time in a few years that I haven’t been registered for a race and it’s weird. So far I have no motivation to run. I should probably sign up for something, but … no idea what I want to do (if anything).

So, this mug is not likely to get many hot liquids (although we did fill them with hot water and take them from the Pop food court to our room and the water stayed hot, but that really wasn't much outdoor time). I have the tumbler and I find that it keeps things warmish for a little bit, but not super hot, and not super long. I don't know that it's really the best mug for commuting in northern climates, but it's not the worst either.
That probably wasn't very helpful.
Thanks, this was my expectation of the tervis. Now I will be disappointed to not have a disney mug, but that is better than buying it and hating it.

or me it's the castle, so I'm guessing I'd feel the same way about Disneyland. But whatever the reason, it's definitely an unforgettable experience and I'm glad I got to share it with my sister.
I was not expecting to have that feeling running through the Magic Kingdom because I've run through Disneyland so many times. But with the crowds cheering as you run towards the castle, the experience is very different. Disneyland would change how the course goes through Main Street and the castle depending on the race. Sometimes we would run up Main Street towards the castle and other times we run from the castle towards Main Street.
Having run it, I don't get why the half course gets so much hate.
It's a fine course, but I think it takes some heat because it only goes through the two parks and has a lot of open road time. But I think it makes up for that with the experience of running through the Magic Kingdom.
I made Beth go on Star Tours for the first time because L and R like Star Wars. Beth was the rebel spy. First time on the dang ride and she's the rebel spy. I don't know what to do with this universe. I’m not sure Beth knew what was going on, but L, R, and I were all entertained.
One of the ironies of my life as a Star Wars geek is that I have been the Rebel Spy 5 or 6 times. Twice while I was dressed in Jedi robes and then some other random times. But I have yet to actually be the Rebel Spy when I am not by myself. One time we did succeed in getting my little sister's ewok backpack designated as the Rebel Spy.
No idea what my next race is either. This is the first time in a few years that I haven’t been registered for a race and it’s weird. So far I have no motivation to run. I should probably sign up for something, but … no idea what I want to do (if anything).
I'll be figuring this out after Star Wars Rival Run. I want to take a bit of a break from races, but fear that if I do not have a race, then my motivation to exercise will leave too.

I was not expecting to have that feeling running through the Magic Kingdom because I've run through Disneyland so many times. But with the crowds cheering as you run towards the castle, the experience is very different. Disneyland would change how the course goes through Main Street and the castle depending on the race. Sometimes we would run up Main Street towards the castle and other times we run from the castle towards Main Street.
I'm not really a motivated by crowds person, so for me I'm guessing the experience would be the same, but I could see why if you're motivated by crowds it's a different experience if you're used to not having them.
Having experienced running through MK, I really really regret never making it out to a Disneyland race. The castle out there may be baby-sized, but I love it anyway.
It's a fine course, but I think it takes some heat because it only goes through the two parks and has a lot of open road time. But I think it makes up for that with the experience of running through the Magic Kingdom.
I think if they were to do more than two parks, it would have to be Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios, since I don't think you could do MK + two more parks. And I'd rather have MK and more highways than not MK and more park time. I think people have unrealistic expectations and need to accept that if they want that amazing Magic Kingdom experience, they're gonna have to deal with highways.

One of the ironies of my life as a Star Wars geek is that I have been the Rebel Spy 5 or 6 times. Twice while I was dressed in Jedi robes and then some other random times. But I have yet to actually be the Rebel Spy when I am not by myself. One time we did succeed in getting my little sister's ewok backpack designated as the Rebel Spy.
I think my new life goal may be to get a backpack picked as the Rebel Spy. That's amazing.

I'll be figuring this out after Star Wars Rival Run. I want to take a bit of a break from races, but fear that if I do not have a race, then my motivation to exercise will leave too.
I get that. I think the fact that I have found other exercises I love has made it easier for me to not worry about my next race or running. I've been to two barre classes since I got back and I'm hoping to sign up for a spin class this week (actually ... I should probably check if I can sign up now). Still not sure if/when I will run, but I'm okay with it because I'm still doing other workouts. If I wasn't doing other things, I'd be more focused on my next race.

Was supposed to run with a friend tonight but neither one of us was feeling it. She wants to go out tomorrow, but its gonna rain, so I'm thinking about skipping. I'm also signed up for barre tomorrow, so I'll have to decide by 2ish what I want to do. I'm signed up for Flywheel on Wednesday night, but if I run tomorrow I may skip that and do barre Wednesday.

If I don't run tomorrow, then I don't care. Right now I'm still okay with not running. I'm not going to force myself to run. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
I'm not really a motivated by crowds person, so for me I'm guessing the experience would be the same, but I could see why if you're motivated by crowds it's a different experience if you're used to not having them.
Having experienced running through MK, I really really regret never making it out to a Disneyland race. The castle out there may be baby-sized, but I love it anyway.
I think it feels different to me in the Magic Kingdom because I've already run through the castle and down Main Street in my "home" park so the cheering crowds in the MK gave it a different feeling which is a good thing. It's possible to love both U.S. Disney resorts for entirely different reasons as both have their own unique strengths although I am rather biased towards Disneyland itself.
I think if they were to do more than two parks, it would have to be Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios, since I don't think you could do MK + two more parks. And I'd rather have MK and more highways than not MK and more park time. I think people have unrealistic expectations and need to accept that if they want that amazing Magic Kingdom experience, they're gonna have to deal with highways.
Agreed. I also think Disney needs to vary the courses for each race as much as they can just to make each one a different experience beyond the theme. And if there's one race that needs to go through the MK, it's Princess.
I think my new life goal may be to get a backpack picked as the Rebel Spy. That's amazing.
My sister was pretty excited. She blames, and rightly so, her entire love of Ewoks on me.

Agreed. I also think Disney needs to vary the courses for each race as much as they can just to make each one a different experience beyond the theme. And if there's one race that needs to go through the MK, it's Princess.
All of this is very true.

My sister was pretty excited. She blames, and rightly so, her entire love of Ewoks on me.

There are worse things in life to be blamed for :ewok:

Did my first run since the half last night. It didn't suck, but I think that's because I was with a friend. I'm doing a new barre class, Bar Method, tomorrow morning. They claim to be different than all other barre studios, so we'll see how that goes.

My schedule is gonna be super erratic for the next 4-5 weeks, but once it settles down, here's what I'm thinking:
M/W - Run
T/Th - barre3
F - Rest or "makeup" workout
Sat - Rest
Sun - barre3 or something else

So, run twice a week, barre3 2-3 per week, and something different 2-3x/month, probably. I think Sunday mornings will be when I use my ClassPass credits.
If I sign up for another race, I'll probably up the runs to 3x/week as I get closer to the race.

I think I'm happy with only running twice a week. We'll see how that goes (or if I even want to run that much), but I think this is a good start.

In my new effort to try every barre class in NYC, I signed up for a Pure Barre class next week. I may end up cancelling because the timing is not great, but we'll see.

I will try to get my Bar Method review up this weekend. The short version is that it's bot gonna be my new favorite place, but I'd go back under the right circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter