• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"LIVE" from OKW - with photos added on page 4

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
We just arrived at OKW after a great flight from Indy.

Check-in was fine, our room was ready (we got to the desk at 11:10PM).

There is only a minimal Bell Staff this late, so one of the Front Desk staff got a van and took us to our villa. We had our OwnersLocker waiting for us and they delivered that at the same time.

We are in Building 23 in a 1BR. Our 2 DDs, their DHs and our 5 grandkids arrive on Saturday when we change to a GV - also at OKW. The 5 grandkids are all under the age of 6 - so it will not be a bit relaxing, but will be a LOT of fun. We plan to head into the parks on Sunday/Tues/Thurs and take in TL and BB on Monday/Wed. We have a couple of character meals planned and will do some meals in the room.

We have a great view of the pond and Peninsular Road Bridge. The general store was already closed when we arrived, so we plan to have breakfast at Olivia's in the morning and then head to AK. We also want to visit the AKV models and make it to the Flower Power concert tomorrow - Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits).

The OwnersLocker storage has been great - we got an email today to let us know it had been delivered to the resort and it was waiting for us at the Bell Stand.

We have character meals planned at Crystal Palace and chef Mickey's as well as dinner at CA Grille on our last evening.

Sounds great, Doc! The first concert I ever went to was when my older sister took me to see Herman's Hermits. Peter Noone really put on a good show. Have a great time!!

Our youngest daughter is going tomorrow... and we are joining her on Saturday for a 2 week trip. Hope that I bump into you Doc... although I wouldn't know how to recognize you. We are staying at BWV.

/Jim

Hi Doc- Hope you enjoy your trip with the family!

We arrive from Indy at around 11:00 p.m. also in a few weeks. Did you call the resort before you arrived and was it tough getting the room location you wanted??

Enjoy your trip!!! Last year Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) closed out the Flower show as well, and we were there, and it was great, we saw the show at least twice!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Have a wonderful time Doc! :goodvibes I just love flying out of Indy, too! :thumbsup2 Enjoy your quiet time before the family arrives, and then have fun with all those grandkids! (I can't wait to be a grandma and share WDW with my grandkids!) Have a good time at the flower power concert. :flower: Peter Noone is great. I hope you will keep us updated and let us know how it goes in the Grand Villa. Someday we'll stay in one... :cloud9:

Take care,
Michelle

Thanks for the update Doc! Looking forward to hearing more....

Have a great trip, Doc. It certainly sounds like a busy one. Five granchildren under six...what a blessing!

Are you wandering over to AKL during your stay? If so, would you mind walking to the far left of the accessible parking lot and checking out the construction there? :lmao: You can see the new parking lot lights from even the current regular parking lot.

Have fun!!!

Have a great time, Rob, and while it wont be a bit relaxing, those grandkids will be a LOT of fun!

I have some general questions about OKW as my family eagerly anticipates our trip later this summer.

Are there sidewalks or trails within OKW that would permit safe walking around the resort? It looks like such a pretty place, I would like to take some time and stroll around.

Goods Food To Go...good place for a snack or light meal or should we choose someplace different?

Gurgling Suitcase...how much seating is there? It looks really small from the photos I've seen. I've never seen a photo of the inside.

Is the main pool OKW crowded compared to the main pool at the Wilderness Lodge (which I think gets VERY crowded in the summer)?

After this visit, we will have stayed at all DVC resorts except HH and we love them all!

Doc, I just can't help but smile when I read your post. Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!:thumbsup2

I have some general questions about OKW as my family eagerly anticipates our trip later this summer.

Are there sidewalks or trails within OKW that would permit safe walking around the resort? It looks like such a pretty place, I would like to take some time and stroll around.

Goods Food To Go...good place for a snack or light meal or should we choose someplace different?

Gurgling Suitcase...how much seating is there? It looks really small from the photos I've seen. I've never seen a photo of the inside.

Is the main pool OKW crowded compared to the main pool at the Wilderness Lodge (which I think gets VERY crowded in the summer)?
There are sidewalks all over the resort, and it is a good place for a liesurly walk. There is also a path to Downtown Disney and a pontoon boat to DTD and SSR as well. You can rent water craft, bikes, surreys etc.

Goods food to go is basically a counter service spot, but Olivia's is a true sit down restaurant with a wonderful outdoor patio area as well as indoor space.

Gurgling Suitcase is indeed small with just a few bar stools, but the picnic tables on the board walk outside make for additional seating as well. The inside is kind of outside, so that's why you don't recall seeing any photos.

Cant say if the main pool is crowded like at WL in the summer since we don't ever tour in the summer.

Doc- whats an "OwnersLocker"?

Tell us when you get a chance (perhaps when you return to boring non-OKW life) if you think selection and prices at the general store are fine or if you felt the need to go to the Publix too.
I worry they wont have much for fresh fruit and veggies

Peter Noone- did you see him on American Idol?

2 water park days- gotta love that!!

Hope you are having FUN!!!

(what are the other view options from rooms?)

What do the places near the hospitality house offer for views?

Can't wait to hear more Doc- tell us when you post a trip report!

Diane covered the questions pretty well. The Gurgling Suitcase is more of an extension of the main dining area at Olivia's - separated only by a glass door. It is pretty small an open to the outdoors. Next to the Suitcase is Good's Food To Go - which is OK for a lite snack, but doesn't have the menu it used to have at all. It's a good spot for a snack while at the pool.

I've never seen the OKW pool as busy as the one at WL at any time - even now that the slide has been added. Many use the neighborhood pools instead of the main pool.

The sidewalks are very safe for walking.

If you just need a few items, the Conch Flats Store is fine - prices are definitely higher though - think convenience store pricing. If you want a selection and fruits, better plan on a trip to Publix or one of the other nearby options.

Views at OKW (and near HH) are water views, wood views and golf course views. We can see both the course and a large pond from our villa. OwnersLocker is a new service here in the Orlando area where guests use a provided storage box (think of a large recycling crate with a secure lid) to keep items in climate controlled storage between trips. We have an amazing amount of "stuff" in ours - clothes, laundry detergent, personal items, pliers/screwdrivers/nail files, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. OwnersLocker will deliver the box to your resort before you arrive, pick it up when you leave and keep it safe until your next trip.

We've seen Peter Noone a number of times over the years and will enjoy another concert today. He does put on a good performance of his old hits.

Temps are low 80's today and tomorrow with rain predicted for late afternoon and most of tomorrow - before returning to the low 90s in Sunday.

We're anxious for our family to arrive tomorrow. 4 by auto and 5 by air taking DME from the airport. We hope to get our GV early, but are prepared for a wait if necessary.

All is well! :)

Doc
Safetymom on the resorts board is updating the thread on rules that go into effect today June 1st -- specifically where.
Enjoy your trip!

Doc,
Glad your having a great trip.....
I'm sure you will make many lasting memories in your GV:goodvibes
Enjoy
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter