Lost DVC points

And do what?

Ok, so what if you had rented out that reservation to someone else, and now they can’t go? You paid the dues on those points, but the renter paid you to use those points.

What side do you come down on then?

Sounds more like some reps were going rogue and then legal stepped in and said NO.

I think the CMs last week did it because DVC didn’t think it through and once resort's closed and the CDC came out Sunday with new guidelines for 8 weeks, they knew they couldn’t continue.

Ok, so what if you had rented out that reservation to someone else, and now they can’t go? You paid the dues on those points, but the renter paid you to use those points.

What side do you come down on then?

If it were something caused by Disney, I would do the right thing and refund their money, and I'm not a multi-hundred billion dollar company. This isn't even a difficult decision for me.

If it were their own doing, I would probably still try to work with them to figure out a solution.

But hey...that's just me. I believe in making things right on my end.

I called MS on Friday regarding my reservation, as soon as I was able to after the announcement the parks were closing. We had a 90 points reservation starting this Thursday. 34 of those points were banked from 2018. We are a June UY. I was told that the remained would be able to be banked for 2020 because of this. Of course all of their emails after my conversation with the CM contradict that. She said it would take a few days for it to reflect on the website and I just now got in and I see all 90 that need to be used this UY. Honestly not sure how we'd even be able to make it up between now and the end of May so we may SOL.

If we end up losing those points it'll suck but honestly I have my health and so does my family and if we all get through this well and alive then what's 90 points. Sure it's almost half of my yearly allotment but I'm not going to get pissed about this. If this goes longer than the end of March (which I believe it will) I just can't see Disney upsetting all of us that bought into DVC. That's not how the Mouse does things.

If it were something caused by Disney, I would do the right thing and refund their money, and I'm not a multi-hundred billion dollar company. This isn't even a difficult decision for me.

If it were their own doing, I would probably still try to work with them to figure out a solution.

But hey...that's just me. I believe in making things right on my end.
I think everyone wants to "make things right". What is right? What is in the rental contract? How the contract is "interpreted"? The renter, owner or broker? This is new territory and people need clarification by the party that wrote the contract IMHO.

Right now, Disney is bending the rules for borrowed points. They are putting them back,

So, you can call and have them restored,

I called this morning and was told that the points I borrowed from my 20 use year were indeed going back into 2019 use year and had to be used by Nov. 30th. We were planning to reschedule to Christmas but don't think we can now. I'm extremely disappointed as this was our Welcome Home trip. What bothers me most is that I waited to call to give others who had trips before mine a chance to change their trips and now I may not get those borrowed points back into 2020 use year. So frustrating

Based on what we're hearing, I'm not sure those people will really get them into 2020 either. We have at least one person above who was TOLD that would happen -- but, so far, they've ended up back in his 2019 pool.

On a side note, for you, at least, you have until November. Even if you can't go, you could very likely rent those points out to someone else (assuming things are open/normal by then).

There are lots of us with situations where we'd never be able to use/rent/give them to someone else -- such as those with June Use Years if the resorts aren't re-opened by May -- that don't have a chance to do anything with them...

I called this morning and was told that the points I borrowed from my 20 use year were indeed going back into 2019 use year and had to be used by Nov. 30th. We were planning to reschedule to Christmas but don't think we can now. I'm extremely disappointed as this was our Welcome Home trip. What bothers me most is that I waited to call to give others who had trips before mine a chance to change their trips and now I may not get those borrowed points back into 2020 use year. So frustrating
I waited too because I wasn't leaving till Friday...sucks

Based on what we're hearing, I'm not sure those people will really get them into 2020 either. We have at least one person above who was TOLD that would happen -- but, so far, they've ended up back in his 2019 pool.

On a side note, for you, at least, you have until November. Even if you can't go, you could very likely rent those points out to someone else (assuming things are open/normal by then).

There are lots of us with situations where we'd never be able to use/rent/give them to someone else -- such as those with June Use Years if the resorts aren't re-opened by May -- that don't have a chance to do anything with them...
heard from a few members who stated these points were put back in 2020 UY

the fact they did it for some and not others opens them up to problems though.

Sure does! Should never have been done because we knew it would have to stop at some point and it set people to be frustrated that it was one week of exception of borrowing

heard from a few members who stated these points were put back in 2020 UY

Did they say it happened this week? Because if so, then itd be a good question to ask when they chanted it because it was allowed Friday and people yesterday said it was a no go.

I do want to clarify that when I called MS on Friday the CM I talked to said she'd have to fill some form out because otherwise to transfer me to the area to handle the banking of some of my points from my reservation to go to 2020 (since we are UY June) she said it would be another 45 min hold time and I had already waited over an hour on the phone just to get to her. She said it may take a few days to make things right but I obviously don't see that in my account. It shows all 90 points need to be used for 2019 which ends the end of May for us. If I could rent them out I'd try that I just don't think that's even possible right now because 1) we have no idea if they'll really be able to open up in April and 2) availability is super slim.

Did they say it happened this week? Because if so, then itd be a good question to ask when they chanted it because it was allowed Friday and people yesterday said it was a no go.
It was on Facebook. I'll have to look.

Didn't you say you had borrowed points restored??

I do want to clarify that when I called MS on Friday the CM I talked to said she'd have to fill some form out because otherwise to transfer me to the area to handle the banking of some of my points from my reservation to go to 2020 (since we are UY June) she said it would be another 45 min hold time and I had already waited over an hour on the phone just to get to her. She said it may take a few days to make things right but I obviously don't see that in my account. It shows all 90 points need to be used for 2019 which ends the end of May for us. If I could rent them out I'd try that I just don't think that's even possible right now because 1) we have no idea if they'll really be able to open up in April and 2) availability is super slim.

It was definitely inconsistent with the CMs last week. Mine was able to do everything for me right on the phone...take my points out of holding and then return all the borrowed points. Others had stated CMs said they had to request it.

But, I ran in to this a few weeks ago on another matter. Called to transfer points to another member. CM said he could not do it because the other owner was not on the line and we needed to have a 3 way call. Said I had never done it that way and then said, fine, I'll call right back and get someone else who knows how. Sure enough, called right back, got Laura, and she took care of it immediately!

Didn't you say you had borrowed points restored??

Yes, I had borrowed points restored from my March 29th to April 1st trip. They were Dec UY. CM on the phone did it Friday. Of course, I rebooked my August trip after and ended up borrowing all but 18 of them back.

Now that they policy has changed, if my May trip gets canceled, I will have borrowed points that will be stuck and need using by July because those are on my Aug UY. I am going in June too so I could end up in a Poly bungalow to use them up!!! Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter