Lost DVC points

Where are you seeing this? In the email I received from DVC this morning, it specifically states that "all banking rules remain in place".

Are you speculating, or do you have some first hand information?

Read the really long thread on here where people have said DVC allowed them to bank points beyond the deadline,

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...es-without-penalty-because-of-corona.3794334/
The only hard no has been that they will not allow points that are already banked to be banked a second time.

I will go back to my original statement though and that is, when you travel after your banking window, you always are at risk to lose points,

It is why I have 3 UYs and deal with it. So, I am never traveling toward the end of the UY so if something happens, I have time to rebook.

Now, I got that email today too so it is possible, now that the resorts are closing, they will no longer allow it. But, last week, they did.

Personally, they opened a can of worms with all of this and the only relaxed rule they should have done was eliminate holding so people could reschedule for summer when this crisis should be at a point that the parks are open again. ,

I just got off the phone. I can confirm (for now) that BORROWED points can be placed back into their original use year. My trip is also 100% in the "closed" period as it started Saturday and went into Wednesday. So that could have something to do with it.

I still feel really bad for those with the UY18 banking issues. I hope something can be done even if it's just a small gesture (i.e. some maintenance fees reimbursed at least).

I doubt it needs to be said here but when calling, be extra nice! I cannot imagine the stress they're under; I was pleased with a 20 minute wait to be honest. Everyone be safe out there.

Disney World vacation Club issued a message that will cause any members with reservations during the shutdown to lose banked points:

As we have shared, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your points back as vacation points or reservation points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this is in place to ensure that the membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints.

Essentially, if you banked points to use on a vacation in the next few weeks and there are from your 2019 use year you will lose the points. Time to rise up DVC members!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed they need to help offset this. Im out over 270 points because of this and paid taxes and fees on those points. If not rebanking then some other compensation such as cash? Gift card? Dining plan?

I will go back to my original statement though and that is, when you travel after your banking window, you always are at risk to lose points,

Spare me on this lecture. It's for people whose plans change...not for Disney closing in an unprecedented manner. This one's on Disney, and just the situation at hand...period.

We take 2-3 vacations to Disney every year, but this one is the same exact week every...single...year. No deviation. Others vary, but this one is static. If we were to cancel at last minute...sure, it's on us. But this would be a situation where Disney cancelled on us (if it were to extend to our vacation in May).

I'm not going to call, because our trip is still over 2 months out, and there are people with much closer vacations that need to be on the phone with Disney much more than I do at this point.

Last edited:
Agreed they need to help offset this. Im out over 270 points because of this and paid taxes and fees on those points. If not rebanking then some other compensation such as cash? Gift card? Dining plan?
How does a whole bunch of FP+ sound? I don't see them reimbursing you money.

Spare me on this lecture. It's for people whose plans change...not for Disney closing in an unprecedented manner. This one's on Disney...period.

We take 2-3 vacations to Disney every year, but this one is the same exact week every...single...year. No deviation. Others vary, but this one is static. If we were to cancel at last minute...sure, it's on us. But this would be a situation where Disney cancelled on us (if it were to extend to our vacation in May).

I'm not going to call, because our trip is still over 2 months out, and there are people with much closer vacations that need to be on the phone with Disney much more than I do at this point.

Well, we can all have our own way of looking at it. I had a trip this month, one in May and one in June booked.

I understand I could lose out, and prepared for that since I don’t see this as Disney. It’s the fault of a serious medical crisis. While yes, the advice not to travel late has been for plans change, this is just a big example of how you never know.

Like I said, as an owner, I don’t think DVC should have opened this can of worms because it will be worse down the road, I have the right to think that.

I am not trying to sound unsympathetic to others, but I just don’t agree that people should be mad at DVC if they aren’t getting what they want,

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we can all have our own way of looking at it. I had a trip this month, one in May and one in June booked.

I understand I could lose out, and prepared for that since I don’t see this as Disney. It’s the fault of a serious medical crisis. While yes, the advice not to travel late has been for plans change, this is just a big example of how you never know.

Like I said, as an owner, I don’t think DVC should have opened this can of worms because it will be worse down the road, I have the right to think that.

I am not trying to sound unsympathetic to others, but I just don’t agree that people should be mad at DVC if they aren’t getting what they want,

It's not a situation of me not getting what I want....it's getting what I *PAID* for.

It's not a situation of me not getting what I want....it's getting what I *PAID* for.

DVC POS tells you exactly all the rules so anything outside of that is not guaranteed,.

Not sure why you seem so upset with me for sharing my own thoughts. I am a DVC owner who is approaching this with my own logic and I simply expect to lose out with what is happening. it’s the risk of owning property and DVC is property,

If others feel differently, that is fine. Being frustrated and upset is one thing. Believing you are owed something different than what you are is another.

DVC will not give you any of the above. You can try to call (again if you have already tried) and plead your case. I'd call first thing in the morning before the CM has talked to 100 upset members. Have your facts straight, reservation in front of you, put a smile on your face, maybe eat some chocolate before you call and play nice no matter what... We're all losing in one way or another it's a bummer for sure.

I'm lucky that I only have 24 points in limbo, but my August 2018 UY @ VGC that are booked for May 15-16, 2020 are possibly in jeopardy. I hope at some point there is a rule change, because my next option will have to be stalking the website looking for an available day to use them by August 31, 2020 (difficult considering the lack of inventory at VGC).

My sympathies to everyone in this situation.

DVC POS tells you exactly all the rules so anything outside of that is not guaranteed,.

Not sure why you seem so upset with me for sharing my own thoughts. I am a DVC owner who is approaching this with my own logic and I simply expect to lose out with what is happening. it’s the risk of owning property and DVC is property.

If others feel differently, that is fine. Being frustrated and upset is one thing. Believing you are owed something different than what you are is another.

Not upset with you sharing your thoughts. Not upset at all, matter of fact. But, you do not need to keep repeating to me what the rules are. I've been a DVC member for almost 2 decades, and I already know what the rules are if *I* cancel.

We are bouncing around situational probabilities, with knowledge of what the rules are beforehand. That's still allowed, right?

Not upset with you sharing your thoughts. Not upset at all, matter of fact. But, you do not need to keep repeating to me what the rules are. I've been a DVC member for almost 2 decades, and I already know what the rules are if *I* cancel.

We are bouncing around situational probabilities, with knowledge of what the rules are beforehand. That's still allowed, right?

I apologize if it came off as a repeat. I was just trying to explain further why I see it as different situation And that what they have done makes complete sense, even though I wish they didn’t change rules, other than holding. At all.

Sucks to be out points. That being said Disney has a responsibility to me as an owner and you as an owner they won't purposely screw up the system.

Its 2-3 weeks now but this could go for 2-3 months. They were talking about July/August before things possibly are closer to normal again during the presidents news address today. We are then talking about almost 6 months.

There is serious issues if they start waiving all these rules.

Someone posted in another thread that they have decided to stop the process of Moving borrowed points back,

So, looks like the only waiving is holding. Which is probably good because it allows people to re book summer months and beyond from now.

I think they had to realize how unbalanced it would become. If they are not changing point status any more, I think that bolds well for the future to manage this

I understand everyone's point on not messing up the system but some other form of comp is needed here for us. We paid taxes and fees for those points and service. I guarantee when the parks open they will be throwing resort discounts, tickets, dining plans, etc. to the public but their most LOYAL customers who have invested in them will get nothing because we are all locked in for the next X decades. We are the least of their worries right now and that is very sad.

I understand everyone's point on not messing up the system but some other form of comp is needed here for us. We paid taxes and fees for those points and service. I guarantee when the parks open they will be throwing resort discounts, tickets, dining plans, etc. to the public but their most LOYAL customers who have invested in them will get nothing because we are all locked in for the next X decades. We are the least of their worries right now and that is very sad.

I don’t think it is that but rather because this is a timeshare and there are laws that go along with it, There is only so much that can happen as it has to go along with Florida state law.

Now, that doesn’t preclude DVC to try to negotiate some special deals with Parks and Resorts to offer to members, but just like the discount on APs, that would have to be negotiated.

Given the hit that division is going to take, it might be a difficult thing to accomplish.

They may be waiting to see how long this situations lasts before figuring out some sort of compromise. Perhaps putting those points into holding for an extended period and allowing members to book within 60 days. While not great, it would be something. Or perhaps allowing them to be used within 6 months after the end of the use year.

I wonder, really, how much they can do legally. I mean, too many points in the system will have the same effect as overselling, so people would be unable to use their current use year points. A week or so could probably come from developer inventory, but they can't wave their magic wand and create legal availability to account for those extra points where none exists.

The way I see it is... you OWN it.
If my vacation neighborhood is quarantined and I can’t stay at my vacation home, I can’t just ignore the mortgage payment and taxes.
Welcome to ownership.
All kinds of laws and rules being arbitrarily enforced or not enforced during this time. Disney loves people like you who just shrug and stand in line..."oh they said the law". I'm not asking them to break a law or even bend one. Just include us in the incentives they will be providing to joe shmoe out there getting them back in the parks when this thing breaks. There are many of us who are losing thousands of banked points value and would reasonably want some sort of alternative compensation. Throw in park tickets next time I reserve and I'll shut up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter