Magic Christmas Cruise 2010 (Dec 18th - 29th) - PART II

I have been looking at excursions in St. Maartin; thanks for the other ideas. In all the descriptions for Orient Beach, Disney remind us that the beaches may be topless or clothing optional. Anyone with experience with this? We will have DD14 and DD12, and would like to know what me might expect.

Orient Beach is very Euro - I was also concerned that my kids would react (8and 6 when we were there this past July) or be exposed to things that would "warp" them... and then I realized that I could use this as a learning experience and a way to teach them about other cultures and ways of living. 99% of the people there are entirely clothed - those who are not tend to stay away from the touristy parts and in their separate areas. I spent a little time explaining to the kids that other countries have different cultures and ways of living that may or may not be what we in the US are used to. Foods are different, driving is different, clothing is different, languages are different, etc etc. After the first 3 minutes of the "hey Dad, I can see her b##bs" from my 6 year old, it was like they had been to Orient beach their whole lives. They ignored or did not even recognize anyone walking without their top on.

Ultimately what you'll likely see is a couple of ladies in their 60's who are topless and very well tanned walking the beach. There is nothing happening there like a wild and crazy wesson-oil based party going on at all. I worried that when we got back to church my kids were going to make all kinds of claims that we went to some hedonistically warped place, but that was totally untrue - a product of my own silly and culturally twisted idea of what other people think is right and wrong. The less ethnocentric I can be, the better - after all, who am I to tell other people what is right and wrong?

The beers are cold, the pizza and wraps are great on the beach and taste wonderful, but the beach's fine talcum powder sands (a mix of white, brown and red sand - I swear it is pulverized coral rock) is something that you'll remember forever. If you know the song "Toes" by the Zac Brown Band you'll be playing it over and over again thinking of this place when you get back to work.

So I guess the final message is that your kids will see some skin... but your spot on the beach, the SeaDoos in the ocean and the absolutely amazing view over the top of your Pilsner will make all that other stuff seem trivial. John John at Le String and Leo (the owner from Baltimore) will make sure that you are well hydrated. Le String has a good kitchen for stuff that is close to typical American fare if your kids are picky. Be sure to stop off at Sexy Fruits next door to Le String to get some killer 925 silver jewelry that you can't find in the States.

The funny thing is that I spent far more time worrying about something happening that will make my kids twisted than it took them to ignore things at the beach. You'll love the beach and the atmosphere and the sights and everything about a Euro beach experience.

When this dadgum system lets me post a picture, I'll put some of Orient beach up for you all to see.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it does not offend anyone.

Cheers,
Fox Family :santa:

BTW, Loterie Farms was a great experience - the ropes were a lot of fun and they have a great restaurant/bar to hang in too.

And another thing... If you venture over to the French side of St. Maarten, be sure to insist that you get 1 Euro = 1 US Dollar - they are agreeing to this with regularity b/c of the poor world-wide economy. Many places have adopted this without being asked to keep the cash flowing. I don't know if a cruise ship arrival changes this, but at least try to get it...
Cheers,
FoxFam

Thanks for the info. I think my girls will be fine with some occasional views. If it was more than the occasional, we may have tried some other excursion.

Thanks for the info. I think my girls will be fine with some occasional views. If it was more than the occasional, we may have tried some other excursion.

Glad to try and help - but if you feel there might be too much risk involved, there are great options for you. Philipsburg is a lot of fun to visit assuming that cruise ports are your thing - there is great shopping if you dig that. Loterie Farm is really a lot of fun for kids 48" tall and up - they have a low ropes course for kids and a really really really high one for adults. :scared1:

Cheers,
FoxFam

Very good - am on Facebook, ahem, a bit, and just wondered if I was missing something. Makes sense :goodvibes

I know for DH his interest in both St Maartens are the cigar shops. There appears to be at least one reputable one in each capitol. I make stuff, jewelry mainly now, but from what little I've read I really think I'd like a peek at Marigot. Need to research taxis, distances, excursions. Orient Beach sounds great and I would like to end up there after galavanting.

My name BBQMommy is from my hobby as a certified BBQ judge with the Kansas City BBQ Society. It is a blast: really nice people and insanely good, proper BBQ. Husband BBQs and is very excited to trip across some spice stores on the trip. :woohoo:

:)
Caryn

Wow! I have been off the threads for the past few days and you all have left some great insider information! I just paid for almost the entire cruise on my Disney VISA so I am going to call them today and ensure that we got the triple points deal that you are talking about! :cool1:

Great to know about the likely dates for dinners and the good St. Maarten's excursions. With 2 formal nights I will likely have all DH, DS12 and DS9 in tuxes since we can get two uses for them!

thegales- I am Richard (actually my husband is Rick). I have recently joined facebook and I am Angie. I will be asking to be a friend also. Thanks for accepting us as friends.

OMG... Love those!!! But have you seen how many calories are in one?? UGH!!!!

We're on a cruise! There are no calories!!!!! (That's my story and I'm stick'in to it!):rolleyes1

Just wanted to ask about the triple points with the Disney Visa. Did you get an offer to do this or is it for everyone? I've gotten one offer before for multiplying my points, but nothing about tripling lately. That sure would be some nice OBC cash!

I got an e-mail from Disney Visa and signed up. I think if you didn't get the e-mail, you can probably still call and get it.

I hope you can join us too! We have a DD6 (will be 7 on the cruise) and a DD8 (will be 9 on the cruise)! If you join us, send a PM and we can get the girls chatting on e-mail so that they will know each other before we get onboard!

Is there a Facebook Group for this trip still? Never having done a DIS cruise I have never done a Fish Extender exchange. Has a group been started for that?:)

Caryn

The info for FE is on the first page. Just send a PM to have your name added to the list. This is going to be soooo much fun!!!!:dance3:

Thank you, 3princessesmommy -- I will do that.

:happytv: just watched the Travel Channel 60 min special on the DCL -- :goodvibes :cloud9:

I got an e-mail from Disney Visa and signed up. I think if you didn't get the e-mail, you can probably still call and get it.

Hi 3princessmommy -

I tried to call the Chase Visa people and they essentially told me to go away. Can you cut and paste the email that you received so we can take a look at it? Please cut out all the personal info that you don't want to share!!!:)

Thanks in advance for the help!
FoxFam

Hi candmfox:

I had not heard about the Disney VISA offer until reading the disboards this am. We paid in full last Thursday without any knowledge of the deal by email. My husband called VISA this am and they said yes, we had received triple points and an extended time on interest free pay-off (DH can't remember how long that is-perhaps 6 months) :cool1:

I don't think that you have to sign up. If Disney VISA sees that you are paying for a Disney cruise, it automatically applies. Not sure how long the offer lasts. In fact we are using AAA, so they placed the charge on VISA and it went through.

Go for it. We'd love to see you on board!

Angie

I also called Chase tonight to inquire about the triple points before I booked the trip. They could see I had an offer for 5x points last fall but nothing now and would not extend the offer to me :sad2:

itutorfortravel-

I would book the trip and pay only the prelim payment (ensure all money back for cancellation), then call VISA. I think you will see that you have the triple x offer. You can always cancel at this time with all money back...just do it fast.

Good luck!

I hope you can join us too! We have a DD6 (will be 7 on the cruise) and a DD8 (will be 9 on the cruise)! If you join us, send a PM and we can get the girls chatting on e-mail so that they will know each other before we get onboard!

3princessMommy, my DD would love to meet your DD's online before the trip if we decide to go! My DD may be very close in age to your DD, she turns 9 in March!

minneapolis, do you know how long the triple points offer was available? I would be moving a reservation I made on board to keep that OBC, so I wonder if that would make a difference?

Another idea/thought to share:
A quick note for you all as well if you need to "reprovision" your stateroom in St. Maarten - near the pier where we tie up is a grocery store - go to sangstrading dot com - they carry all of the usual items you'd expect. If you enjoy beer, don't miss out on the Heineken Pilsner (7oz) and Amstel Bright (9.3oz) :thumbsup2.
Cheers,
FoxFam

Great tips FoxFam!!!! I'll have to see if they have Diet Dr.Pepper...smile...I will be going through withdrawl on 11 nights!

Disney just released some new promotions for WDW today. If you are planning on going before we sail you can get some great deals! I just started working as a Disney travel agent if anyone wants more information and is not working with someone! Also, our ship is still pretty open if you know of anyone still thinking about going - it would not suprise me if rates go down again after final payment is due! We have been traveling this time of year for five years now and this is the first time I have seen a Christmas cruise not sold out!

I had started a Facebook page. The main reason was if anyone wanted to post information that they may not want to post in a thread available for anyone to see. There is not a whole lot of info there, and someone did raise a concern that we didn't want the disboard thread to die because of the Facebook page. I will keep it going, although we may not do a whole lot over there.

By the way, is there a Chris, Pamela, or Richard here? I have requests from these folks, but I have not been able to match to someone here.

What is the name for the facebook group?

This is the e-mail I received:

Once you enroll, for every eligible dollar you spend above $250 each month, you'll accumulate Disney Dream Reward Dollars at 3x the regular rate up to a maximum of 100 total bonus Disney Dream Reward Dollars.2,3

Enroll now and earn rewards faster!

Transform earthly purchases into a Disney toy or adventure faster than the speed of light. Redeem your Disney Dream Reward Dollars for Disney Theme Park tickets, Disney apparel, movies, toys, DVDs, CDs and much more!

Problems enrolling? | Please call 1-866-923-6785

The links and photos don't show up here.

DW talked to Chase...

They replied it is a standard offer for anyone using the Disney Card..

Not sure if she used it or not.. :confused3

I used my Disney Visa to pay the final balance, hopefully I'll get triple points. That would be awesome.

Hi Everyone!! :goodvibes

Wow! You all have been super busy posting - that's awesome!!:thumbsup2
Ok!! Sent out some PMs to some of you that I need additional info from for the fish extender exchange. To date this is who I have signed up:

HFC1969
3princessMommy(bigAWL)
SwimMama
thegales
DisneyCamper
CrusinLattas
tinkmischief
IceSk8ersMom
Vminick
riggins
minneapolismickey
Bakerteam
BBQMommy

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

I was wondering, will there be a 'Sign Up By' date for the FE so we will have solid numbers with which to work? How big do these groups usually get? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter