Many decisions to make: VGF vs Riviera, direct or resale and use year.

This is very true. I hope somebody is just walking but I went to book part of our 2023 Spring Break trip and 3/14/23 was gone for Standard Studio at RIV
So, even with 11 months advantage you could not get a studio at RIV? That is concerning... We are a small family of three so interested in studios
I guess the general question in this case is, how easy it is to get a studio at VGF or RIV for a desired date at 11 months point?

You can't really go wrong with either choice. It comes down to preference. You have a good pro/con list to illustrate your perspective, which is great. You'll see and hear lots of opinions on the items on both lists. At the end of the day, it only matters what you and your family think, right? Especially on the whole point restriction thing. A lot of strong opinions on that piece, and not a lot of data or experience as yet, either way on the issue. For us, the restrictions are an annoyance but that's about it. We went the RIV route because it's a beautiful resort, connected to our two favorite parks, was cheaper with better incentives, we got 2021 points, and the deed lasts longer.

Good luck with your choice, and as previously stated, you really can't go wrong with either.
I agree as these are very good points. @sashinska made some compelling arguments for each but I did not see if there was a favorite park to maybe sway the decision as it did for @BeachClub2014. For us we are a split family as some prefer HS and others MK so we end up doing split stays to make everybody happy.

So, even with 11 months advantage you could not get a studio at RIV? That is concerning... We are a small family of three so interested in studios
I was not on at 8 am when it opened. Most likely someone is walking a reservation and I can pick it up later when they drop that day. The preferred studios are still available just not the cheaper standard ones which has a view of Epcot

I agree as these are very good points. @sashinska made some compelling arguments for each but I did not see if there was a favorite park to maybe sway the decision as it did for @BeachClub2014. For us we are a split family as some prefer HS and others MK so we end up doing split stays to make everybody happy.
The favorite park is tricky. Our child is 3 yo so we spend a lot of time at MK right now but I bet she'll love HS when she is older :)

I guess the general question in this case is, how easy it is to get a studio at VGF or RIV for a desired date at 11 months point?
Riviera is only 40% sold and slightly more declared, I think around 50%. There have been reports of the better value rooms being tight. But we don't know how booking patterns will go over time, as Riviera sells more points, or as more resale enters.

The favorite park is tricky. Our child is 3 yo so we spend a lot of time at MK right now but I bet she'll love HS when she is older :)
Yes that does make it hard!!

We love both resorts but for you in your original post you mentioned possibly selling for that reason I would probably pick VGF as they will not have restrictions which makes it easier to sell.

Also the monorail/walking is easier (factoring a stroller here) from VGF than taking a bus to MK and when she is older it will not matter as much.

The positive is you have easy access to Epcot with either choice by monorail or skyliner.

I am going to go completely 'off the ranch' and recommend Bay Lake direct. BLT's standard 1br are the same points as RIV studio. The location to MK is prime, good access to the monorail in bad weather for Epcot and other resorts on the loupe, and the dues are less.

Last edited:
I am new to DVC and need some advice on purchasing. As of right now, we like to go to Disney twice a year: in Sept-Oct and Apr-May. Our thinking is to buy 150 direct points from RIV or VGF and then buy an additional resale 100 pts contract for Animal Kingdom. This way we will have 1) all the perks of the blue card 2) two home resorts and 3) two smaller contracts that as I understand are easier to sell later on. Then, the idea is to book our two yearly trips with the two contracts separately to use the 11 months advantage (one trip we stay 5 nights at AKV and another trip we stay 5 nights at RIV (or VGF). Questions I have for the DVC experts here are the following:
1) VGF or RIV?
2) Use year. As we go twice a year would it make sense to buy two different UYs? If the answer is no, which UY would be the best for our spring/fall trips?
3) Do you see any pitfalls in this strategy?
Any other comments and suggestions are welcome :).
April UY would be best with April/May and Sept/Oct travel times since the banking deadline is 11/30. If you decided to go with 2 UYs, you would have 2 separate memberships and would have to transfer points between memberships if you need points from both. If you get 1 UY/membership, you could combine/pool points at 7 months. If buying direct, you would have to buy the 150pt minimum for each membership/UY.

I own at all 3. Resort studios at VGF should be easier than standard studios/1BR at RIV, but deluxe studios and 1BR at VGF will likely be difficult if you don't own there. RiV and VGF require more points for each booking category than most other resorts. If you want club or value rooms at AKV, you need to own there and plan on walking reservations for busy times of the year. Savannah view rooms seem to have good availability at 7 months.

I am going to go completely 'off the ranch' and recommend Bay Lake direct. BLT's standard 1br are the same points as RIV studio. The location to MK is prime, good access to the monorail in bad weather for Epcot and other resorts on the loupe, and the dues are less.
Thanks! How is the size of studios there? I read somewhere that the studios are pretty small.

We bought RIV September UY since our major travel time is Sept-Early May. September does limit the resale contract options (it's a challenging UY, but not impossible).

To me, it comes down to --do you like the new Resort Studios at VGF? Currently, there is an abundance of those rooms at VGF, if you are happy staying in those rooms then it's a good resort to buy a contract at.

We bought at RIV because we love the resort, Skyliner, location, and variety of rooms. We wanted the amenities of a Deluxe Villa and Studio (kitchenette...etc.)

I think VGF is gorgeous, and I would have easily bought an add-on there...but the majority of the resort now is Resort Studios. Not interested.

Thanks! How is the size of studios there? I read somewhere that the studios are pre

Thanks! How is the size of studios there? I read somewhere that the studios are pretty small.
Bay Lake room configuration does not lend itself to living out of a suitcase. The standard view studios are small. The lake and theme view are larger. Regardless of studio size the closet, bathroom, kitchen configuration causes the room to feel small upon entry. The living area is roomy with end tables on both sides of the bed. The bathroom is roomy.

Very small and only sleep 4. No split bath like in RIV or deluxe studios at VGF. New resort studios don’t have the split bath either but are large and do sleep 5.

I

Remember you can split your contract between VGF and RIV for $250 more. Makes larger contracts smaller so that you can sell them easier down the road if you need or want to and you get incentives based on the total points purchased.

Remember you can split your contract between VGF and RIV for $250 more. Makes larger contracts smaller so that you can sell them easier down the road if you need or want to and you get incentives based on the total points purchased.
They only combine incentives across resorts if the incentives are the same, I believe. That's what they did with CCV and RVA a while back. I think the incentives are not the same at VGF

At BL, unlike BW, PBV, RIV or GF, Standard view can be physically smaller but it also can be the view.
Do smaller as in square feet? That's odd, I would have thought it would be the same. Do you know why this is? Did they just cram a few more studios here or there along the lower floors?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter