Marathon Weekend 2021

I’m training for Boston in September while simultaneously afraid it will get canceled.

I am terrified it will get canceled as well. I am doing maintenance running now and will resume training at the end of May. Though numbers are doing a little better so I am a tad more hopeful for Sep.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question is ... how’s everyone doing?

I imagine most of us are under some social distancing guidelines. Others may even be under more stringent, shelter-in-home guidelines. School, work and personal lives might be impacted.

These are strange and possibly stressful times, so consider this me reaching out to you all to check in. If you want to talk about Disney and running, too, that’s great. But you can also just let us know how you’re getting along.

Personally, I’m doing fine. I feel healthy and I’m training for a virtual marathon. I work for a newspaper and we’re covering this extensively, so I’m staying busy. I am worried about the economic impact of the pandemic on the already struggling newspaper industry.

My daughters are healthy. I think they are getting a little bored, but they’ve been troopers. We just got four 500-piece Disney puzzles from Amazon, so I look forward to working on those together.

I really need a haircut and an open beer garden (all of our bars are closed).

Have a good week, everyone. Stay safe.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I'm doing fine, though more than a little stir-crazy. We're on 24/7 lockdown and need to apply for a permit from the government to leave the house for any of the three permissible activities - grocery/pharmacy, medical testing, emergency. If you're out without a permit and get stopped at a roadblock or by police patrols, you get fined or possibly jailed. 129 people were taken into custody for lockdown violation yesterday. I've gotten a grocery shopping permit twice and have not been asked to show it yet, but many others out walking around had to do so. I'm getting plenty of time in on my bike trainer since my only running options are my balcony, the stairs in the building, or the parking garage ramps.

I really need a haircut and an open beer garden (all of our bars are closed).

As one of the guys on my team said in our group chat this morning, "shaving cream cost savings are at a 52-week high." Quarantine beard isn't quite as much fun as Movember, though. ;)

So far so good here, mostly normal for me. My wife is work at home but me being essential, I still work everyday, though my company vehicle leaves from my house as opposed to a central location. After work it’s either yard work or go for a run. A little more downtime than usual and my daughter is getting a little bored with no social contact. Hopefully this goes away as fast as it came, looking forward to Disney and runDisney.

SAFD:

As sad as it may seem to some, things haven't changed much for me during this time. I live alone with my dog and don't go out much anyway. I've gone to the grocery store twice in the last four weeks (once just before shelter in place and then this past Thursday) and picked up carryout three times (highly unusual for me to get carryout, but trying to support local places). Other than that I haven't been in physical proximity of another person in the last month or so. This is not outside of the norm for me.

Although technically classified as essential, we have closed our office and I am going in 1-2 times a week for a couple hours with the doors locked to keep up with payroll, payables, mail, etc. or if a farmer sells grain (markets have tanked, so this hasn't been much of an issue). I can take calls and do all of the pricing and hedging from home.

Thank you for asking.
I'm doing okay. Currently chillin' with my family, but can't wait to be back at my apartment because I miss having some semblance of independence (it's amazing the freedom you get from being allowed to make your own dinner). I'm sure once I'm back at my apartment I'll miss my family.

I'm still working full-time, just from home instead of the office. My company is remote-friendly and we have the infrastructure set up to allow people to occasionally work from home, so in terms of having access to everything I need, it was a fairly seamless transition. I'm feeling a little unproductive at the moment, but I'm sure it's fine. My company is pretty good about acknowledging that nobody's at full capacity.

Running-wise ... I wasn't running before this pandemic and I'm only running a little now. It's the only outside time I get (while I'm here someone else does my grocery shopping), but I'm still having a hard time getting myself out there. I think being signed up for a race would help, but I don't want to sign up for anything until I'm sure it won't be canceled. Sigh.

Honestly, I’m fine. I am very fortunate that working from home is an option for me. My position is considered essential, so I am glued to my laptop and cell phone 5 days a week. But, I have been able to sleep in an extra hour every morning and I get a head start on my workouts in the afternoon. I previously worked from home on Fridays, so I already had a routine established. Several of my work friends have reached out periodically to check in on me, which has been nice!

I have been leaving the house an average of twice per week for PT, massage/chiro, grocery shopping, etc. and combining errands when I do. This really isn’t much different from normal except I would usually be scheduling appointments and running errands on my way home from work. Once I’m home, I like to stay home. I’ve always been that way. My PT will be transitioning to virtual sessions beginning this week, so that is one less reason to leave the house.

I have been picking up take out at least once per week to support the local family owned restaurants that I hope to be there when this is all over. They are all very grateful. While I don’t usually eat out, really it just replaces buying lunch at work four days a week.

I did have to postpone my annual trip to Arizona. Travel is something very important to me (I’m a former travel agent and have worked at the airport for over 20 years now). The long term impacts of this are yet to be seen. I still plan on three weeks in Europe this September/October for the Disneyland Paris Half and trips to WDW for Wine & Dine and Marathon Weekend, assuming they are not cancelled. But, I realize those trips could be impacted. For example, will I be required to wear a cloth face covering in some situations? I’m fully prepared for the answer of that question to be yes. I’ve been wearing a running gaiter when I go out, but think I need to work on a long term solution.

I'm doing fine. I work from home anyway, so my weekly routine hasn't changed much. I just don't usually go out after work like normal. I feel fortunate I'm still working and that nobody I know has had the virus, so every other inconvenience is minor. The running trail is still open, so I'm getting a few runs per week and there's a boot camp that is now doing virtual workouts with a trainer through Zoom, so I'm getting exercise at home that way. I also go out and get take out occasionally from local restaurants to try to help them while saving me from eating my own cooking. My youngest daughter has been staying at my ex's, and I miss getting to see her as much as I used to, but we at least FaceTime.

Grocery shopping so far hasn't been the horror story I've read about. It was a little tough finding bread early on, but now everything is pretty easy to find. I was lucky in that right before the craziness started, I had a coupon at a grocery store and needed $10 more for it to kick in, so I grabbed a big pack of toilet paper and so I've been well stocked and haven't had to worry about finding it. I have plenty of movies on DVD and digital, not to mention Disney + and Netflix, so this year I'd already started a movie challenge to watch every movie, so I'm getting through them faster. Usually I have a pretty busy schedule of activities but I didn't really have anything planned through the summer, so I don't even feel like I've been missing out on all that much, other than a few basketball and baseball games. I have a few concerts in the summer and fall that I'm not sure will go on, but I'm fine with waiting.

I do miss traveling. I was supposed to go on a business trip to California this week, so that's not happening, and I was going to go early and visit Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm this weekend, so I miss that more than the business part of it. And I know that there's a pretty decent chance that the Disneyland Paris run won't be happening this year, but I've always been good at not worrying about things I can't control. Paris will still be there when this is all over for a future trip. But I'm healthy, have a job, get to still do some activity and have friends to trash talk with and help keep me sane. And I grew up being a Monty Python fan so I always look on the bright side of life!

SAFD:

We are surviving here.

Starting to go a little stir crazy.487507

As mentioned above by @FFigawi , the razor has disappeared since the beginning of the stay at home requests. I am having a rough time getting through the itchy phase of the beard. I also did not realize how grey I have become!

Work has asked all of us to "share the load" 487508. We are all on reduced work weeks and have been asked to take half our holidays by the end of June. I am glad to see they are trying to save jobs by doing this, but I really do not know how long that will last. Companies are bleeding cash.

In addition to my stay-at-home job, I am doubling as a school teacher for my DD. I am loving the Math and Science classes, but Social and LA were never my strong suit. I am sure she will settle in soon to the routine, but having never experienced a "work on your own" environment, she is struggling a bit.

My DS was sent home from University about a month ago. He just finished writing his last exam yesterday! Year one is in the bag! I think he is struggling a bit with the loss of independence. He was just getting used to being on his own and now he has been shoved back into his childhood home. I am pretty sure that is weighing a bit on him. He has been stressing over how to make and save up money for school next year. This new environment has killed the typical summer jobs he would have been applying for. However, he has recognized that you need to make lemonade from lemons. He is going to try doing food delivery and see if he can make some money that way. With everyone being stuck at home, there are a lot of people using the food delivery services to get their take-out!

To try and keep some normalcy, I started a longer training plan for Dopey 2021 in mid-March. I will finish week 4 of 43 this afternoon. It is tough to see that I have only completed 12 of 203 runs and 63 miles of approximately 1182 total miles. So far to go... I am thankful that we are still allowed to go outside for my runs. The problem is it has become extremely stressful trying to avoid all the people that do not want to keep 6 feet apart and are blocking the entire width of the paths. It has me looking for running trails and times that minimize the number of people. There is also the added stress of a springtime, where winter just does not want to give up, isn't helping either. There is snow everywhere and I am still wearing 3 layers of clothes, gloves and a toque!

I like the idea of Disney puzzles mentioned by @lhermiston. I may look into ordering a few.

Keep your heads up everyone. Keep putting one running shoe in front of the other...We are all in the same marathon and just need to keep moving forward.

Last edited:
SAFD: We're fine here in the Netherlands. Been working from home for the past 3 weeks now. But that was a smooth transition as well, as we usually work at home at least some of the time. I've made the attic room my office, my husband is in our study. So no more jumping out of bed at 6AM to catch a bus and train the The Hague!
Social distancing is in place here. . Restaurants, bars, museum, theatres are closed. But many restaurants offer takeaway or delivery (more than before). But no permits are required for shopping or sports like running etc. As our PM says, we have an "intelligent lockdown", hoping that people stick to the rules. Which they usually do. We've had sunny weather this weekend, but most people stayed at home.
We miss travelling though. My 55th birthday trip to Dublin was cancelled last month and our 20th anniversary trip to Abu Dhabi in May as well. On the other hand, we're moving house in June, so we can save up for that :-)
As for running, we keep up our "maintenance runs". I did do a half marathon just before all the measures were set up. Would be strange if that turns out be be my only medal for 2020.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
SAFD: All is going pretty well here. On the work front, I’m able to work from home 99% of the time. I have to make my first trip into the office in almost a month tomorrow to help the manufacturing floor with an issue. Unlike most businesses, which have slowed down, mine has sped up. I work on the technical/validation side in vaccine manufacturing and one of our new vaccines has had its regulatory filing date accelerated (again). The idea is to get this new vaccine out there, preventing infections that would be adding to the stress on the healthcare system, freeing up resources to focus on COVID-19 care.

On the physical fitness front, the working from home and not having to commute has allowed me to add 2-3 mile lunch walks to my normal evening running schedule. Without the siren call of cafeteria cookies, I’ve also been able to keep my calories in check and am now down ~25 lbs since Marathon Weekend.

Mentally, it’s been tough not seeing my coworkers and I’m worried about my 76yo mother living alone 3 hours away and my daughters, both of whom are currently out of work. It’s also been tough going to the store for necessities. I’m not worried about getting infected, really, but there’s so much hype around the social distancing that it’s stressful going through Target or the grocery store trying to keep 6’ away from people. I always come out with my nerves jangling and on edge.

Stay safe out there everyone. We’ll have to DATW a little harder to celebrate when this is all over.

Still working the same job not from home and although I enjoy the cheaper gas, it’s spooky out there without the rest of you idiots on the road. ;)
I miss you.
Come back.
Cut me off and slam on the brakes. Then give me the finger. Come on. Let’s be a community again.

in other news, I’ve discovered the joy of ignoring accounts around here who are painfully holier than thou.
Turns out ignorance IS bliss.

oh and YouTube live had Easter mass from St Patrick’s Cathedral NYC today. That was weird and nice.

Thanks for asking!
We are hanging in there - some days are easier than others! While I miss normal life, and like everyone else wonder when we can get back to going to concerts, sporting events, Disney World, and toeing the line at a run or triathlon, I am grateful that we are still healthy and employed. Keeping our two kids entertained and focused on schoolwork is a challenge, and they miss their friends. I still have to go into work 2-3 days a week - I work with less than 10 people, and wear a mask at work now, but we are considered essential so I carry on.
As for exercise - I am still running 3-4 days a week, from my house. I gave up going to the local greenway as it was just too crowded, and I gave up running with my running buddies as it doesn't feel like the right thing to do right now (though several of them still meet together to run). Still riding my bike on the trainer in the basement a few days a week too - I could head outside for that, but honestly I am worried that if I were to get in a bike wreck and have to go to the ER or urgent care I could end up exposed to Covid.
We had spring break this past week, and were supposed to be in DC seeing the sights but that obviously didn't happen. Explored some local (mostly) uncrowded park trails around us that are still open, and got some yard work done instead. We were supposed to be headed to WDW next weekend for Star Wars, and I am still sad about missing that. I will probably run the challenge on my own to feel like I can keep my perfect streak going!
We have used this time to introduce our kids to our favorite 80's and 90's movies, which have gotten hit-or-miss reviews from them but have been fun for us. (side note - PG in the 80s is NOT the same as PG today!).
My alcohol intake has gone up but we gotta stay sane somehow! :drinking1
Stay healthy and hang in there Dis friends! We will be together again at WDW someday!:grouphug:

It's very interesting reading how everyone is handling this situation!

As for my crew, we're doing pretty good. DH and I already worked from home full time, so that's no change. And, neither of our work has been impacted too much by all this. Luckily we already had space for our offices, so DS took over the dining room table and DD has a great desk setup in her room. Since they're in middle school, there's not too much I have to do for help. Just navigating the tech issues and making sure they read all the emails from their teachers. In the evenings we're playing family board games and video games together. I'm the designated ration forager (going to the grocery store). That happens every 1 to 1.5 weeks depending on how much milk DS is drinking. DH already cooked most nights, so that's not a big deal, but we've tried to support local restaurants as much as we can. Especially the accounts that belong to a close friend of ours. He works for a food distribution company. But mostly we take the attitude that we can stay home so we should stay home.

Training is going well. Sticking to my @DopeyBadger plan and adding some biking with DS 3-4 days a week. I've finally gotten off most of the pandemic snacks, so hopefully I can come out of this with no weight gain!! The toughest part of my training is avoiding all the extra people out running/biking/walking. We have a great neighborhood for it, but it's like running an obstacle course sometimes. I try to move out of the way most often, but people can make it so difficult. Just this morning a man on a bike was looking straight down not watching where he was going. I stopped and waited, but he never looked up until I yelled "Hello!" and jumped out of the way, nearly tripping myself. He had the whole road. Sigh.

I just really worry about family members. One cousin who's diabetic. Another cousin that heads the medical department of the county correctional facility. Her son is a first responder. Her mother had cancer(chemo) last year. Another cousin's husband is diabetic and is on chemo for stage IV colon cancer. So, that's always a worry whenever he has to get out. I'm also a quilter, so I've been sewing some masks for them and yet another cousin who's a vet and returning to work from maternity leave in a few weeks. They already told her there won't be any masks for vets, so I'm making some for her too.

But, really, I'm just thankful the virus isn't as bad as it could have been. So, I'm staying home as long as I need to.

SAFD: Stressed. I don’t work, but DH is essential as he works for a hospital. Adding to his work load is the fact that we bought a new house at the beginning of March and have been working on it together nights and weekends, with my being there 2-4 hours during the day. Yes, I have to move during a pandemic; landlord wants us out and was trying to get us out weeks before our lease ended so they could rent it to someone else (not happening).

The fact that my walking routine hasn’t happened in a month and I am stress eating isn’t helping matters. There is so much out of my control right now that I am not mentally or emotionally handing it well. Sorry for the offload, but I cannot burden DH with more than he is dealing with right now.

SAFD: Things are fine here. My husband has been working from home so it took a little but getting used to but I think it’s going fine. My kids are all handling school at home differently. My oldest has been great. My younger son complains but then gets the work done. My daughter is having the hardest time. She is autistic and the change in what’s expected of her at home has led to some meltdowns. She understands that when she is at school, she does work, but sees home as a “no work zone.”

My kids are home bodies so not going out hasn’t seemed to bother them yet. The hardest part for them is seeing some of their classmates playing with each other while I’m not letting them. Workouts/running was going good until this past Monday. I was on week 4 of Liift 4 and running early in the mornings. My oldest sons run club has still been putting workouts out for the kids to do. Last Monday we were running and I ate the pavement hard. Managed to sprain my ankle pretty bad. I can walk on it now with no limp but it’s still a little swollen and sore. I’m going to attempt the Liift 4 workouts this week and modify the hiit portion. I’m in no rush to get back to running since there are no races but I miss it already. I was really enjoying the 1:1 time with my oldest and just the quietness of my early morning runs. It’s my only quiet time because my house is never quiet.

One day at a time. Forever wanting normality again of course. School is online which I posted about in my journal. I am not working currently because my job is based around sports and events. Definitely am watching a lot of TV/Netflix/Disney+. Can't wait to get back to Disney and enjoy life with my friends again.

As mentioned above by @FFigawi , the razor has disappeared since the beginning of the stay at home requests. I am having a rough time getting through the itchy phase of the beard. I also did not realize how grey I have become!

I swear, every time I stop shaving it grows in whiter and whiter.

Work has asked all of us to "share the load". We are all on reduced work weeks and have been asked to take half our holidays by the end of June. I am glad to see they are trying to save jobs by doing this, but I really do not know how long that will last. Companies are bleeding cash.

I’m curious to see how that’s going to work. Will there be many places people want and are able to go in the next two months? Call me skeptical. It’s not like anyone is going to want a staycation anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter