Mass shooting in Toronto?

I don’t know what is happening to my beautiful city. This never happened a few years ago and this summer is it just out of control

I don’t know what is happening to my beautiful city. This never happened a few years ago and this summer is it just out of control
Me step daughter lives and works right in the city and of course I txt her right away when things happen. My wife is sitting now in Pearson, waiting to come to Orlando where I am now at. She's much safer there than most cities. In fact I doubt most dis folk really understand how dangerous Orlando really is. Wife learned the hard way last Sunday when she had $1000 removed from her pocket book at Florida Mall in Orlando.I hope I'm wrong, but the time is coming where Toronto will no longer be as safe. To easy a target for those who wish to do harm to the west. Not saying this was the case this time. Just my opinion. The average Canadian doesn't understand how dangerous a place the world is. Or just doesn't want to understand.

Me step daughter lives and works right in the city and of course I txt her right away when things happen. My wife is sitting now in Pearson, waiting to come to Orlando where I am now at. She's much safer there than most cities. In fact I doubt most dis folk really understand how dangerous Orlando really is. Wife learned the hard way last Sunday when she had $1000 removed from her pocket book at Florida Mall in Orlando.I hope I'm wrong, but the time is coming where Toronto will no longer be as safe. To easy a target for those who wish to do harm to the west. Not saying this was the case this time. Just my opinion. The average Canadian doesn't understand how dangerous a place the world is. Or just doesn't want to understand.

That statement makes no sense to me at all.

My brother lives in Toronto and this just makes me worry more.

I hate HATE HATE that this is getting more frequent. Our country isn’t perfect but it’s nice to live somewhere where I don’t have to worry about going to a movie, or a concert, or the store.

I will keep the rest of my opinions to myself for as long as I can.

I spoke to my brother and his girlfriend and he are both ok.

I have 100 things to say but I will once more bite my tongue..for now.
Why won't you say what you want to say? :confused3 People seem to be interested in what's going on.

Probably obtained off the streets illegally. That's how most crooks and sick people get them.
Of course. Bad guys here have guns. No amount of gun legislation will ever change it. I imagine bad guys everywhere have guns. I do think though that in mosT of our daily lives (in major Canadian cities) it’s unlikely the average citizen is in much danger from them. Rare, random unfortunate events not withstanding. :sad1:

So, from reading around, it seems like Toronto has a gang and gun problem. (It's ok, we won't hold it against them. Lots of cities and other places do, too; few are immune. Gangs of various origins have apparently been part of the landscape there for over a century, as they have been in many places, including where I live.)

Police there added 200 extra police officers on the night shift this summer (7pm-3am) as that seemed to be when most violence was happening. They're looking at ways to decrease their crime, and that includes getting young people who have the potential to join gangs involved in community programs to help steer them away from that life.

I don't see that that's so different than many other very large cities in North America (with Toronto reportedly being the fourth largest).

People there are calling for gun control, as well. It brings up the age old question of whether the problem is the guns, or the people who use the guns.

I'm getting the sense that there are other things that people (not just Kim) don't want to talk about. I think we (general we) need to talk about them, though, if we're going to solve these problems (forum rules notwithstanding).

That is all just general info, though, and not specific to last night's shooting. I was just surprised to read that tweet last night (that said that gun violence there had gotten "crazy") so I wanted to figure out why. That's all I've got.

So, from reading around, it seems like Toronto has a gang and gun problem. (It's ok, we won't hold it against them. Lots of cities and other places do, too; few are immune. Gangs of various origins have apparently been part of the landscape there for over a century, as they have been in many places, including where I live.)

Police there added 200 extra police officers on the night shift this summer (7pm-3am) as that seemed to be when most violence was happening. They're looking at ways to decrease their crime, and that includes getting young people who have the potential to join gangs involved in community programs to help steer them away from that life.

I don't see that that's so different than many other very large cities in North America (with Toronto reportedly being the fourth largest).

People there are calling for gun control, as well. It brings up the age old question of whether the problem is the guns, or the people who use the guns.

I'm getting the sense that there are other things that people (not just Kim) don't want to talk about. I think we (general we) need to talk about them, though, if we're going to solve these problems (forum rules notwithstanding).

That is all just general info, though, and not specific to last night's shooting. I was just surprised to read that tweet last night (that said that gun violence there had gotten "crazy") so I wanted to figure out why. That's all I've got.

Toronto does have a gun and gang problem. This mass shooting was not a part of this problem as you have stated. The majority of guns used by these gangs are smuggled across the border from the US.

Last edited:
I’m in midtown Toronto and am horrified by this event. We go to this area all the time as a family to walk and have dinner. I have lived here all my life and have never heard of anything of this scale. It’s very upsetting.

The shooter has been identified and named. He has apparently been struggling with psychosis and mental health issues his whole life. It sounds like his family tried their best to support him but there is a limit to how much they could do. They could not have known he would evolve into someone who would do something like this.

Toronto has a gun problem relative to Toronto of a few years past, but certainly not on the level of many other major cities. Unfortunately, gangs and weapons will find their way into any place. They are not picky. But, this was not a gang related crime.

ETA for those wondering how Toronto compares to other cities crime-wise and if it is “not safe”: Our population is just over 2.8 million. Last year, there were 61 homicides. There were 375 shooting events. I’m not sure how this compares to many other major cities, but the homicide rate and gun-related statistic is about an eighth of a few other places I checked.

So, if you have family or friends who live or visit here- don’t worry :flower3:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter