Mel & Lee PJ - First attempt, please be kind!

mel_ntu

Earning My Ears
So I decided that if I needed help and would be asking lots of questions of you guys, the least I could do would be to introduce "us". So here goes. I don't have many of the details firmed up in my head, that is what I am hoping you guys will help is with! Might be a bit long winded so please sit back and popcorn::

US
My name is Mel and I am a chartered accountant. That basically means that I work in industry and prepare budgets, report results and plan for lots of things in a financial sense. I am lucky, I went to university and have my professional qualification, and have done well in the companies I have worked for (lots of being in the right place at the right time!!)
Lee is an engineer. He works with steel in fabrication and to be honest, thats pretty much all I know about it. With too bery diverse professions, you can probably guess that we don's spend a whole lot of time talking about work to each other :laughing:
We live in South Yorkshire in England.

The Proposal
We have been together for just over 10 years, though for 4 years of that, I lived in a different county doing my degree.
We had been talking about getting married for a couple of years, we have lived together for 5 years already and my younger sister is already married with 2 kids so the pressure was mounting a little!! :rotfl:

We had discussed it and even gone to look at rings so he knew my size and what I liked etc.

We were going away for the weekend with my family and meeting them there (we were going to Cumbria, a lovely part of the country).

Lee had said that on the way down he wanted to call and see a place called Richmond. (for those fellow brits - the sausage place!!)
I had said that I didn't want to and that I wanted to go straight to Cumbria so I could meet up with my sister and go swimming with my nephews!
So we had a discussion and !quite surprisingly!) he won. Which should have been a clue really, cause he always always lets me have my way!.

So we set off and its a lovely day and we get to Richmond and park up. He suggests going for a walk which we do and as we walk round the corner there are these fabulous waterfalls (will try to get a picture!).

As we are stood there and we are just chatting, Lee suddenly drops down beside me, cue me asking him if he had slipped! :rolleyes1
I finally notice that he is on one knee and he asks me to marry him.
Lots of tears later, I realise I hadn't said yes or (shock horror :scared1: !!!) even looked at the ring :laughing: (will post a picture of the ring later when I am home)

I obviously said yes and thats that. Oh, other than my dad knew and had secretly shipped a case of champagne to where we were staying. Lots of strawberries and champagne for us all weekend.

The Wedding - PLan A
So we discuss it and decide that we want to get married in Italy (bear with me here!).

Not traditional at all and don't fancy all the big white wedding fluff at all. Plus huge families with lots of people that I really don't want to invite.

Upshot is, we spend a wonderful week in Italy (in July) and find nowhere that we want to get married.

Come home and start to panic. have lots of sleepless nights and its only when my parents, in their despair at my imminant depression, said that we don't have to suit anyone other than ourselves and those that are important to us will come whatever!

So we have a good think about it and Lee suggests going on holiday to have a think about it all, we decide to do disney and hey presto an idea is born!!

The Wedding - Plan B

So I have a couple of nights to think about it and decide that, loving all things disney, it would be a fabulous idea!

Have spoken to all important members of the bridal party and they are all up for it and let the planning commence.

So this is what I have come up with so far.

- Budget - original budget at £15-£20k (ummmm $30-40k)
- 20+ guests so think I will have to have a Wishes wedding (COLOR="Plum"]True?)[/COLOR]
- I want an outdoor ceremony, was thinking the arbour at the wedding pavillion.
- Thinking of a dessert party as a kind of pre wedding get together the night before the ceremony.
- really not sure where to have the reception so any suggestions as to venues will be more than welcome.
- would like a very fun "do" so am happy to theme, possibly mad hatters tea party Is this possible!!)
- Very much party people so want somewhere with lots of atmosphere, music and dancing etc

Bridal party will be
Bride
Groom
Chief Bridesmaid - best friend
Bridesmaid - sister
Best Man - Best Friend
Groomsman - BIL
Father of the Bride

We are going to be in Florida (staying at the Saratoga srpings (SSR??)) from the 21st - 28th of Sept. I am hoping to call the wedding team tonight to get the ball rolling and am really hoping that they will agree to meet with me whilst we are there. Would be such a relief to get it down in writing and have a date to plan for. We want August 2009, as long as it is in the last 3 weeks, we are not fussed for a particular date.

Couple of questions please.
What is the deposit requirements for the Wishes weddings, I know escape is $500 and remainder a coupld of months prior. Is Wishes the same or more structured?
Do I need to have paid a deposit prior to the planning meeting?
Do they charge extra for a planning meeting?

Does anyone have a BEO for a similar (ish) wedding, as in numbers and Wedding Pavillion. this would help me with the budget side of things.

Does my budget sound realistic? That is purely wedding fund, the honeymoon is seperate to this, though I guess it would include our flights and accommmodation for the 2 weeks too. We are failrly flexible and can go up by probably another $10k quite easily.

Thanks in advance for all your kind help and apologies if I have done this wrong, or in the wrong place.

Mel

Just wanted to welcome you and looking forward to hearing more of your plans The color you chose sounds beautiful.....:goodvibes

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Another UK bride!

Welcome! Your plans sound great so far - can't wait to hear more!

Kayleigh :goodvibes

Thank you.

I so need to get a little firmer with the details, though everyone is being great and saying its fine, they are coming, just let them know when!!

I will have to get myself a lime green ribbon to tie on DH rucksack for whilst we are over there. Is there a special colour for DIS Brides to be??

So I have attached a photo of my ring.

OK, so I would if I could work out how! Any tips???

Your engagement story is really sweet. I definatly think £15-£20k will be enough, you'll be able to have a super wedding for that amount with only 20 people!!! Can I come?

We were the same about wanting an aborad wedding so we didn't have to invite loads of people who we weren't really bothered about coming. Plus, I like to be different and I don't know anyone who has had a wedding like this and all my guests are super excited!!!

I *think* the deposit for wishes is $2000 and its due on the 8 month mark when you sign your letter of agreement. Unless your gonna have your reception in a park and the you can sign and pay at 12 months out.

Thanks Pinkerbell. It took him 10 years to get round to him and I think that is it for the romance for another 10 years!!

Thanks for the tip about the deposit. Will take my credit cards along to the meeting I am hopefully going to arrange tonight.

Are you having a planning session?

So I made the all important call to Disney last night ;) :)

I spoke to a lovely lady called Tara and she took all my details and promised a planner would call me back in 2 working days. So that's either tonight or tomorrow!! WooHoo!!

I am sooo excited now, she gave me some advice on where to look and i got such good vibes from talking to her!

Really feel like this is the right thing to do.

Soooo Excited now!!! :yay:

Mel

So I made the all important call to Disney last night ;) :)

I spoke to a lovely lady called Tara and she took all my details and promised a planner would call me back in 2 working days. So that's either tonight or tomorrow!! WooHoo!!

I am sooo excited now, she gave me some advice on where to look and i got such good vibes from talking to her!

Really feel like this is the right thing to do.

Soooo Excited now!!! :yay:

Mel

:banana: Yeah for calling Disney!!!

So I rushed home from work tonight, not sure what my boss thought when I ran out of the office a 5.30pm.......;)

I was hoping that someone would call but was trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Was pottering round the house and the phone rang......it was them :woohoo:

So I have been assigned (I guess!) a pre-wedding planner called Kristi and she was lovely. Soooo helpful and made some super suggestions.

I want to get married at the arbour outside the pavillion, and she said that she thought it "might" be possible but that the party might be a little too big. So she is looking into it for me!
Its called Picture point I think that she said.

We talked about a dessert party and I have tentatively decided on Italy, but having it as a welcome/pre-reception party.

My one worry/slight issue is the reception.
I initially said the reception should be somewhere we could also dance and have a kind of "party" atmosphere. Kristi suggested the whitehall rooms and patio. But I have to say I was not "that" impressed with photos I have seen. If anyone has any photos to help me make up my mind then I would very much appreciate it.

Also, the reception will finish at 8.30pm. Well to be honest, I want longer.
I am a bit :confused3 about what I want exactly though.

I want a sit down meal, a chance to mingle with all the guests and then a party! I envisage it finishing at more like midnight than 8.30pm.

Is there a venue in downton Disney that I could maybe think about instead???

Kristi is sending me out a pack and also emailing it all to me, and the best news is that we are having a meeting whilst we are there in September :woohoo: It will last about 4 hours and we will hopefully have firmed up most of the plans at this stage and she will be able to send me a customised pricing list a week later.

I am getting more and more excited about it all and can't wait

Mel

hiya! :goodvibes

firstly, you can get a lot for $30 -$40k, especially for 20 guests!

if you cant have the wedding outside the pavillion, what about one of the epcot locations?

as for reception locations...what about...
- one of the boardwalk ballrooms - could have one of those sections
- american adventure parlour
- the great movie ride at hollywood studios
- or the hollywood hideaway at the great movie ride...you could have a dance party in the projection room, though i dont know how much that would cost..

i dont think theres anywhere in downtown disney at the moment, seeing as pleasure island is closing...:confused3

hope some of thise helps!

Welcome! What a wonderfully sweet proposal story. And YAY! for Dad sending champagne! :love: There are other ballrooms at the GF if you'd like your reception there, and I am sure that if you are willing to book the extra hours for the ballroom, food service & DJ, you should be able to go as late as you like. Have fun with the planning! Can't wait to hear all about how your choices unfold.

Welcome! Yeah for getting the ball rolling so quickly!!

I've come to realise that as long as you are willing to shell out the cash for it $$$ Disney will pretty much give you whatever you want. So if you want a longer reception, as long as you are willing to pay for it, I don't see why you can't have a nice sit down meal, mingling, then dancing until midnight! 6-8 hrs, right??

Good luck!

Indeed, thats pretty much what Kristi said too. After she got over her shock of me wanting to party till midnight that is :rotfl:

Dad is quite cool like that. ;) Best dad in the world :hug:

Mel

Hi

You can extend the reception as long as you want I think, it's $400 per hour plus the hourly cost of food and drink. We're extending ours until about half past midnight I think because I didn't want the wedding to end early after. We are also delaying the start of the pre reception so that gives us another hour. Take a look at jessesgirl's photo's in her PJ of the whitehall room, it looks really pretty. All though I am a little biased as thats where I'm having :goodvibes I agree with Kayleigh the AAP is also really pretty.

If you have a search there are quite a few good pics of the whitehall room, I would find them but I have my graduation ball tonight and I haven't even started getting ready!!!!! :laughing:

So happy to read about all your plans! Yay, for talking to Disney and getting the ball rolling! It's exciting, right?

Cool dad's rock, don't they?????

Definitely subscribing and can't wait for more! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter