Member Services Breaking 11 Month Rule!

Unless these dates coincide with some Disney holiday filming dates, I'd be surprised most VIPs know they'll be at Disney a year in advance. I think the VIP theory is probably unlikely, with the exception if it is a Disney employee high enough up of having a room blocked off this far in advance. Even that seems a bit unlikely to me as I would think they would designate unsold CRO inventory closer to the date versus allocating breakage inventory they would more than likely be able to sell.

The fact that this phenomenon has happen several times recently to AKV CL makes me think it is either a glitch or a concerted effort to stop walking. The fact that I don't think we've seen this happen with non-competitive categories makes me lean towards walking. If a glitch, I think at some point we would have had a report of this happening to somethink like BLT LV or anywhere at OKW/SSR etc.

The only question I have is it someone within DVC taking it upon themselves to block the walkers or does someone with authority within DVC know this is going on?

The only question I have is it someone within DVC taking it upon themselves to block the walkers or does someone with authority within DVC know this is going on?
Maybe, but either way, this is speculation. If even a fraction of the posters who complain about walking on the internet discussion boards are also contacting Member Services to complain, maybe DVCMC is experimenting to see what they would have to do manually to discourage the practice.

Speaking only for myself, if DVCMC is willing to dedicate the resources to impact walking with the described strategy, it's OK with me. I don't think it would take much to remove a few days here and there at random intervals to interrupt a walk, and then add them back when the 11 month window opens for the removed night(s). IMO, this is MUCH more palatable than trying to implement any of the other suggested strategies - those all impact members who are not walking and to me, the "cure" seems worse than the problem.

I'm still voting glitch, otherwise if it's for someone coming down for the 50th I'd think that the night of the 30th would be taken, unless that has changed since I looked at it 2 hours back.

Unless these dates coincide with some Disney holiday filming dates, I'd be surprised most VIPs know they'll be at Disney a year in advance. I think the VIP theory is probably unlikely, with the exception if it is a Disney employee high enough up of having a room blocked off this far in advance. Even that seems a bit unlikely to me as I would think they would designate unsold CRO inventory closer to the date versus allocating breakage inventory they would more than likely be able to sell.

The fact that this phenomenon has happen several times recently to AKV CL makes me think it is either a glitch or a concerted effort to stop walking. The fact that I don't think we've seen this happen with non-competitive categories makes me lean towards walking. If a glitch, I think at some point we would have had a report of this happening to somethink like BLT LV or anywhere at OKW/SSR etc.

It never happens at BLT LV or SSR because those rooms are never walked. Walking is a reality and a problem only for a handful of rooms and only part of the year. The percentage of rooms that are walked is, I believe, minuscule over the total of bookings in the whole DVC.
(Reason why I hope DVC will never implement any of the suggested strategies to block walkers, it would damage all members to stop a very limited practice).

I'm still voting glitch, otherwise if it's for someone coming down for the 50th I'd think that the night of the 30th would be taken, unless that has changed since I looked at it 2 hours back.
The 30th is gone. When I checked shortly after 9AM it was gone and I just double checked now (still gone). Last night after midnight it was sill showing as available.

Maybe, but either way, this is speculation. If even a fraction of the posters who complain about walking on the internet discussion boards are also contacting Member Services to complain, maybe DVCMC is experimenting to see what they would have to do manually to discourage the practice.

Speaking only for myself, if DVCMC is willing to dedicate the resources to impact walking with the described strategy, it's OK with me. I don't think it would take much to remove a few days here and there at random intervals to interrupt a walk, and then add them back when the 11 month window opens for the removed night(s). IMO, this is MUCH more palatable than trying to implement any of the other suggested strategies - those all impact members who are not walking and to me, the "cure" seems worse than the problem.
It violates the rules if they're doing anything to remove rooms in advance. I'm not a fan of them violating whichever rules they wish regardless of what they try to use to justify it. If the rules are changed, fine...then we play by whatever the rules are at that point. At this point in time they can not do what you've suggested.

ETA; this doesn't only affect walkers and has a negative affect on others as well. As of right now there is availability for a Club Level studio starting tomorrow however whoever books that is limited to only booking 3 nights. It also can stop someone who was able to book 7 nights from simply being able to book additional nights.

Last edited:
The 30th is gone. When I checked shortly after 9AM it was gone and I just double checked now (still gone). Last night after midnight it was sill showing as available.

We couldn't reach out into the 30th yet until 8am est today. That CL room was available for the 30th when I looked a few hours back, probably someone changing points around, I see it has been taken again. Seems perhaps just one room is out of the usage pool for the 28th and 29th then.

I'm just waiting for my standard room to come up for booking. In the mien time, hanging out here.

We couldn't reach out into the 30th yet until 8am est today. That CL room was available for the 30th when I looked a few hours back, probably someone changing points around, I see it has been taken again. Seems perhaps just one room is out of the usage pool for the 28th and 29th then.

I'm just waiting for my standard rooms to come up for booking. In the mien time, hanging out here.
At midnight the calendar moves even though you can't book. I checked right after midnight because I was curious to see what would happen when the 30th became available.

I'm just waiting for my standard room to come up for booking. In the mien time, hanging out here.
Also, if a room was removed for the 28th and 29th nobody would have been able to book it for the 30th.

Also, if a room was removed for the 28th and 29th nobody would have been able to book it for the 30th.
I understand, I'm one of the first people to have reported this issue years back... I think it was on the value rooms.

I was simply saying there's someone out there playing with their reservation. As we noted above, sometimes when doing that the system can crash and lock up rooms for some time, although for me the locked rooms were restored within the hour.

It violates the rules if they're doing anything to remove rooms in advance. I'm not a fan of them violating whichever rules they wish regardless of what they try to use to justify it. If the rules are changed, fine...then we play by whatever the rules are at that point. At this point in time they can not do what you've suggested.

ETA; this doesn't only affect walkers and has a negative affect on others as well. As of right now there is availability for a Club Level studio starting tomorrow however whoever books that is limited to only booking 3 nights. It also can stop someone who was able to book 7 nights from simply being able to book additional nights.

I do not know the answer so curious. Are we sure that they have to release 100% of the rooms even though they maintain 2 to 4% of the resort?

I know if they own points above and beyond that they can’t break the 11 month rule, but I thought they can keep our rooms in case issues arise down the line

So, if they get to keep that percentage out of member booking all the time, it’s possible they are pulling rooms under that?

I’d don’t see or can’t find anything that says exactly what and how it works for that aspect.

I do not know the answer so curious. Are we sure that they have to release 100% of the rooms even though they maintain 2 to 4% of the resort?

I know if they own points above and beyond that they can’t break the 11 month rule, but I thought they can keep our rooms in case issues arise down the line

So, if they get to keep that percentage out of member booking all the time, it’s possible they are pulling rooms under that?

I’d don’t see or can’t find anything that says exactly what and how it works for that aspect.
Their percentage is still represented by points. All rooms must be made available for booking and DVC is bound by the same booking rules as members. Now rooms can be pulled out for maintenance in advance but to know 11 months in advance that a club level studio is going to need maintenance, right before (and likely over) the 50th is highly unlikely (it's not the same as when the entire value category was pulled because 1 BR's are still available over the dates in question). Unless there is some rule somewhere that I've missed that allows them to block single rooms in advance for other reasons (I've read through things many times and have not seen it but I'm not going to claim that it's not possible that I've missed something that those more experienced may be aware of).

Their percentage is still represented by points. All rooms must be made available for booking and DVC is bound by the same booking rules as members. Now rooms can be pulled out for maintenance in advance but to know 11 months in advance that a club level studio is going to need maintenance, right before (and likely over) the 50th is highly unlikely (it's not the same as when the entire value category was pulled because 1 BR's are still available over the dates in question). Unless there is some rule somewhere that I've missed that allows them to block single rooms in advance for other reasons (I've read through things many times and have not seen it but I'm not going to claim that it's not possible that I've missed something that those more experienced may be aware of).

I wasn’t sure because if all rooms get booked by members then how do they do they ever have rooms set aside if there is a maintenance issue. That’s why I thought they get to keep that number of rooms out but not points taken back via foreclosure etc.

I wasn’t sure because if all rooms get booked by members then how do they do they ever have rooms set aside if there is a maintenance issue. That’s why I thought they get to keep that number of rooms out but not points taken back via foreclosure etc.
My guess is that they don't always have rooms available for maintenance issues or that they may just be larger units. I also doubt that all rooms moved over to the cash side end up getting booked which could then be used for maintenance issues.

My guess is that they don't always have rooms available for maintenance issues or that they may just be larger units. I also doubt that all rooms moved over to the cash side end up getting booked which could then be used for maintenance issues.

Thanks!! I just wasn’t sure due to timeshare requiring them to own a certain amount if it allows them to hold back rooms.

Sounds like they don’t or can’t.

I was too slow..what happened? Now it's showing how I've been seeing it all day.
Saturday - thursday were open. Anyone not having the 24th in their possession would not have been able to reach them.
I swear, there has someone out there playing with their days, unsure what they're doing. It's back to what we were seeing earlier though with days available, followed by the blocked out dates.

Last edited:
It never happens at BLT LV or SSR because those rooms are never walked.

That's why I don't think it's a glitch as some have suggested. I personally think that someone at DVC is doing this purposefully....or at least hope they are.

The good thing is it's very similar to the walkers. The rooms DVC takes out come back eventually so people will still get those rooms. So just like the people who pick up the rooms as walkers move their walk....maybe the walkers whose walks are broken can pick up those rooms as the DVC walk-breaker releases the rooms.

That's why I don't think it's a glitch as some have suggested. I personally think that someone at DVC is doing this purposefully....or at least hope they are.

The good thing is it's very similar to the walkers. The rooms DVC takes out come back eventually so people will still get those rooms. So just like the people who pick up the rooms as walkers move their walk....maybe the walkers whose walks are broken can pick up those rooms as the DVC walk-breaker releases the rooms.
We know that A room comes back as available, we don't if if was THE room that wasn't available initially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter