Moonlight Magic for Epcot?

You do understand this could have been prevented though, yes?

Sure. Disney could stop offering the events. Problem solved. I've been a member for over 15 years. I've attended great events and events that were a cluster. Like most things, the bigger it gets the more issues that come up. I prefer not to sweat the little things. Disney IT could do a lot of things that they don't. Disney parks could prevent people from sneaking 3 y/o's in for free. Instead they try to lightly control the problem. No one in here knows exactly how many people got reservations who weren't entitled. It's all conjecture. And in the end, DVD is paying for the event, so their party, their rules, their implementation of rules. I guess people could demand a refund of the $0.00 they forked out for it...

The reservation software was purchased from a outside vendor and apparently it is a stand alone system that doesn't check for room reservations or to see if the guest is qualified to attend. Since this is an event put on by DVD, they want to keep their costs low. We pay DVCMC a fixed fee through our dues for MS and DVC management, apparently it's less expensive to have CM's sorting through event registrations than paying for software to do it.

:earsboy: Bill

This really wasn't run any differently than the earlier events except that social media and word of mouth created a higher amount of people who knew about the event, the event was announced earlier in the reservation process and more members are going to be at WDW during December and want to experience the event.

but it's a FREE event. The advertisements for these events say specifically that no one should sign up for membership or a reservation subject to getting into one of these. Shoot, even WITH reservations, the dates are subject to change. IMHO, people getting upset and taking it out on DVC is going to lower the incentive to offer events in the future. Disney was operating on the honor system. Some members aren't honorable. Lessons learned. And THIS is why they can't give us nice things.

The Merry Mixers were FREE events too. MUCH less stress and no stalking websites trying to get a lucky "golden" ticket. I work full-time 12 hour shifts and I do not have time to stalk websites. I've written this event off because I put enough time in to trying to secure Fast Passes, ADR's for dining, Candlelight Processionals package etc. I was on the Member site on opening day for reservations and that should have been enough to secure 3 tickets. Oh, and I was able to secure 3 tickets for the Typhoon Lagoon Midnight Madness 2 weeks after it opened. The Dec 11 Epcot Midnight Madness sold out in the early hours in the first opening day of reservations. Seems "off" to me.

Every DVC Member that showed up to a Merry Mixer got entertainment, character photo ops, refreshments and the free ornament. It was so nice and relaxing. Why go to this chaotic system? Planning Disney trips is stressful between dining ADR's, Fast Passes etc. I will always see the Merry Mixers as welcoming to all and these "holiday" time Midnight Madness events as only open to a fortunate fraction. So it just feels different......

The Merry Mixers were FREE events too. MUCH less stress and no stalking websites trying to get a lucky "golden" ticket. I work full-time 12 hour shifts and I do not have time to stalk websites. I've written this event off because I put enough time in to trying to secure Fast Passes, ADR's for dining, Candlelight Processionals package etc. I was on the Member site on opening day for reservations and that should have been enough to secure 3 tickets. Oh, and I was able to secure 3 tickets for the Typhoon Lagoon Midnight Madness 2 weeks after it opened. The Dec 11 Epcot Midnight Madness sold out in the early hours in the first opening day of reservations. Seems "off" to me.

Every DVC Member that showed up to a Merry Mixer got entertainment, character photo ops, refreshments and the free ornament. It was so nice and relaxing. Why go to this chaotic system? Planning Disney trips is stressful between dining ADR's, Fast Passes etc. I will always see the Merry Mixers as welcoming to all and these "holiday" time Midnight Madness events as only open to a fortunate fraction. So it just feels different......

Merry Mixers were paid for with all of our dues, the current events are paid for by DVD marketing, that is how they can restrict access.

Merry Mixers were paid for with all of our dues, the current events are paid for by DVD marketing, that is how they can restrict access.

oh ok....so some fraction of Members present in the parks on these days get to enjoy this perk. The rest of us just aren't worthy. I get it. But my dues went up in 2017 and I got nothing for it (meaning the Midnight Madness at Epcot) compared to the previous years my dues at least paid for the merry mixer. It's not like my dues stayed the same or went down with DVD paying the Midnight Madness bills---so no favors there?

And I'm sure in some way the cost of these DVD marketing events will trickle down to us......NOTHING is free in life. It just doesn't seem right to be shut out on the first day of registration? Kind of laughable DVC even suggested that non-resort guests could register Nov 7. Like that was never going to become a reality if they couldn't even make it past the first night. From what I see, I like the Merry Mixers because everyone was welcomed.....

I actually planned Candlelight Processional on Dec 11 thinking we could do the Midnight Madness right after. Now I get to high-tail it out of the park back to BLT while I watch the lucky ones walk in. Just not a warm fuzzy feeling if that was what DVD was going for----Member appreciation??? Doesn't make me feel appreciated? Not sure.

I'm truly asking for clarification here as I never went to a Merry Mixer. Did you not have to RSVP for them? Was it that there was more of them than just two? I do believe the Moonlight Magic was promoted more than the Merry Mixers were.

Do we know for sure not DVC members and/or those without resort reservations got in?

I believe a big part of it getting sold out so quickly was due to the fact of the crowds that will be there that week. I couldn't get a DVC studio ANYWHERE on property at the 7 month mark... ANYWHERE! Add that with Pop Warner - which I'm sure some of them are DVC members... and the fact that only Future World will be open that they didn't take as many people as the other parks that had it earlier in the year.

The reason it sold out so quickly is because it didn’t require a reservation number like they did at animal kingdom and before. And yes- they required it for animal kingdom- spoke to corporate today and they confirmed that- specifically because of “pandora capacity”. From the direct mouth of an executive.

And the truth is that DVC members, likely moreso than any other group, feel completely entitled to everything as well as knowing how to game the system due to repetition. Well- Disney left an opening, and non-eligible DVC members capitalized. Period.

It was like the classless hoarding of chips and cookies at these events- just on a grander scale.

I'm truly asking for clarification here as I never went to a Merry Mixer. Did you not have to RSVP for them? Was it that there was more of them than just two?
The Merry Member Mixers didn't require an RSVP. They held 1 a week over about 5 weeks. The event only lasted 2 hours.

My feelings about the Merry Mixers deteriorated over the years. IMO they became too crowded. We began attending them when they were held in Contemporary, I do not remember if I went to one by the World Showcase of Epcot, I think not, though I was aware of them. Then they were in Epcot and the venue seemed adequate, we had a small Disboard meet in a corner, maybe 7 years ago at the Merry Mixer we could attend. Gradually, I think the numbers outgrew the venue. There was inadequate seating. We would go in, get the drink, cookie and ornament. Yes there were Simon Sez games, Dancing, but those folks who participated must have been among the first to enter.

I definitely had more fun in earlier years.

I have attended 3 Moonlight Magic events and never felt crowded out, even at TL, and never felt I could not get snacks, ice cream or whatever I wanted.

I do not quite understand what happened with the sign up for Moonlight Magic at Epcot, but it seems to me that Member Services will get many unhappy voices complaining about something that was a much anticipated event. I got in with a total of 4 to attend, and our DVC friend, Patricia, who will be with us but in her own Villa at AKV also got in for the December 4 event.

I agree it was not a great process. I've been a DVC member since 2010 but I never knew about the Merry Mixer. I don't think it was ever really advertised that well, or maybe I put it out of my mind because I am not local to WDW and/or the events never matched my plans. I saw this event in the DVC newsletter, to my shock, it fit with the dates we would be there, and once I found out the date to book was, I logged in at 9am. Regardless of whether the other events sold out later or not, I wasn't going to risk it. approx 30 minutes later, I got confirmation which was way too long as their website was overloaded, I guess.

I cannot judge whether the old format Merry Mixers or this moonlight magic is better, since I never attended the former...for all I know moonlight might be horribly crowded, offer little to no benefit to us, and a poor use of time. I figured we give it a shot and based on what I read at the other events, seems like it's a nice thing they are offering. If it's not for us, we'll never do it again. I have relatively low expectations so I likely wont be disappointed. I do wish, however, that if they find people who cheated the process and got in when they should not have, that they resolve it and those who followed the rules can get first dibs at the event again.

John

I never went to a MMM. By the time the dates were announced, I already had my Dining Reservations and Fastpasses, and they rarely lined up to be in Epcot on the right day.

I have attended 3 Moonlight Magic events and never felt crowded out, even at TL, and never felt I could not get snacks, ice cream or whatever I wanted.

I was at the Magic Kingdom event in March. Honestly, I was surprised how many people were there that night. I loved the event but we felt there were a LOT more people there than we expected as lines for some rides were quite long, even at midnight. Forget the lines for characters! The fireworks were absolutely spectacular!

As far as the food, what is with people?!!! They act like they're never going to eat again! I thought the snacks and food were plentiful and you could find them throughout the park.

The earlier Merry Mixers were in a tent outside of the international gateway and didn't require park admission to attend, later as membership and attendance grew, it was moved inside the park, required park admission and was a larger venue. Now again as ownership grows, so does the venue. Another factor is the change in DVD/DVC management, different management has different ideas.

I was at the Magic Kingdom event in March. Honestly, I was surprised how many people were there that night. I loved the event but we felt there were a LOT more people there than we expected as lines for some rides were quite long, even at midnight. Forget the lines for characters! The fireworks were absolutely spectacular!

As far as the food, what is with people?!!! They act like they're never going to eat again! I thought the snacks and food were plentiful and you could find them throughout the park.
I wish I had seen those fireworks!

LOL: Like really, how much chicken nuggets and chips can one eat? Even my kids turn their nose up at nuggets by the end of our trip.

Keep trying folks. I snagged 4 for the 11th today - wasn't going to try anymore, but gave it one more shot. Got 1, then 2, then 1. You can enter the park at 7:30.

The reason it sold out so quickly is because it didn’t require a reservation number like they did at animal kingdom and before. And yes- they required it for animal kingdom- spoke to corporate today and they confirmed that- specifically because of “pandora capacity”. From the direct mouth of an executive.

And the truth is that DVC members, likely moreso than any other group, feel completely entitled to everything as well as knowing how to game the system due to repetition. Well- Disney left an opening, and non-eligible DVC members capitalized. Period.

It was like the classless hoarding of chips and cookies at these events- just on a grander scale.

I don't understand why they didn't require a reservation number this time.... Was it oversight on their part??!

Yes. But reportedly, MS is going to review all registrations and verify that the member has a resort stay booked. If no room reservation, they will reportedly cancel the event reservation. Not sure if they will call the member first.

I don’t believe this is true.

You have to look at why these events are held to determine if DVD/DVC is going to spend money to purify the attendance list. The last email that the CM's received indicated that the event is sold out, nothing about advising us to keep trying. Also the link in the confirmation email quit working last week.

You have to look at why these events are held to determine if DVD/DVC is going to spend money to purify the attendance list. The last email that the CM's received indicated that the event is sold out, nothing about advising us to keep trying. Also the link in the confirmation email quit working last week.

Which is terribly annoying. I want to modify which I have done for previous events and now I have to call to try and do so. I had chat tell me at first that they couldn't do anything and after that I didn't trust them to make the correct change although it started to seem like they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter