More CRV construction photos, please!

Wow, they sure have NOT made much progress since I was there a month ago.

I compared my pics and the ones posted from last week (mine were from April) - more DVC tubes, more swirlies in the DVC dirt. :) A little different, not a lot. I'll be there Weds, I doubt it will change much by then.

Are they going to build it before they announce what it is? :)

Wow, they sure have NOT made much progress since I was there a month ago.

My guess is if they start building any kind of structure they will have to make the announcement of what it will be soon after. If it is a DVC resort it could inhibit DVCs ability to sell SSR and AKV.

Another guess is that we won't see any structure go up at this site for at least another year.

If a structure does go up without any kind of DVC announcement that maybe a clue that it isn't a DVC resort at all. Look at AKV as an example. They announced the resort, concept art, and then construction.

I can't imagine that they are going to wait a year to put a building up. That is just such an expensive area not to have rooms to rent out to guests.

I can't imagine that they are going to wait a year to put a building up. That is just such an expensive area not to have rooms to rent out to guests.

yes, but the north wing due to Hurricane damage and abuse - people reported that the walls had holes in them in the North wing - it was not useable.

my guess the powers that be - haven't make up their minds.

You would think they had more than enough time to do the study - DVC or CR - but who knows.

I can understand some people not wanting to give up the CR - it was the first WDW hotel.

still want a CRV!!!! please!!!!
:cheer2:

I hadn't heard of hurricane damage, they used that CR wing for another 2 years after the hurricanes came through here. The rooms were definitely older, as everyone else received the beautiful new rooms.

Disney often makes big announcements in October, but that just seems too far away. It's a working construction site at this point. Each day they don't have a building is a day they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars that they could make. So I don't see them sitting on it for long (I could be wrong, but that is one of the most prime areas on property).

So, we'll see. :) Everything I've seen points to DVC, they could certainly make it more mixed-use if they want as well.

I hadn't heard of hurricane damage, they used that CR wing for another 2 years after the hurricanes came through here. The rooms were definitely older, as everyone else received the beautiful new rooms.

either hurricane or just damaging winds - after the building was not in use - the reason the asbestos took so long.

something is definitely going up. It looks like the 'C' plan. they haven't stopped to wait for management or DVC to say. the Building is going up. Someone here say it would take it 2 years to go up - 16th floors. Don't know - but the way that Disney puts up building that seems long to me. of course then all the inside stuff - so maybe 2 years before Disney has to announced what it is for - you know they love to kept us waiting and hoping....

either hurricane or just damaging winds - after the building was not in use - the reason the asbestos took so long.

something is definitely going up. It looks like the 'C' plan. they haven't stopped to wait for management or DVC to say. the Building is going up. Someone here say it would take it 2 years to go up - 16th floors. Don't know - but the way that Disney puts up building that seems long to me. of course then all the inside stuff - so maybe 2 years before Disney has to announced what it is for - you know they love to kept us waiting and hoping....

2 years to go up seems rather long to me. The high-rise being built across the street from me goes up one floor per week. Sure, the insides take much longer, but the 2 year constructions frame sounds long.

I agree that the two year time frame seems long. I saw a 18 story apartment building go up across the street from my old apartment in about ten months.

I agree that the two year time frame seems long. I saw a 18 story apartment building go up across the street from my old apartment in about ten months.

It does seem like a long time - Disney could do it much quicker if they were so inclined (and being that they'd lose hundreds of thousands of dollars per day not having it there - I'd guess they'd do it faster). But who knows (Disney does!) And they aren't saying. :)

Not sure where the idea came from that the North Wing was not usable... My family was there in late Sept/early Oct this past fall in 2006 (days before it closed for good). The wing was packed with people. We were there the year before as well-- 2005. Yes it was dated, but was completely in working order and the walk to the MK couldn't be beat.

Not sure where the idea came from that the North Wing was not usable... My family was there in late Sept/early Oct this past fall in 2006 (days before it closed for good). The wing was packed with people. We were there the year before as well-- 2005. Yes it was dated, but was completely in working order and the walk to the MK couldn't be beat.

I hadn't heard of any real issues either except that the rooms were older. Disney kept them open until the building was shut (there were complaints about the older rooms, but more I'm sure from guests who knew there were very nice, updated rooms in the other wing!) If there had been any real hurricane damage, Disney would have fixed it in 2004 I expect - 2 years before the building shut down.

Much of it depends on where you're building, remember. Building on an urban site, with water, utilities, etc that can accommodate capacity of your building running right along the street is a bit different than building on quasi-wetlands that have special foundation parameters near utilities that require massive upgrade to accommodate a much higher capacity than the utilities that were there previously. In addition, commercial (aka hotel) construction has a lot more restrictive building parameters than residential construction. Interiors on hotel construction can take awhile largely because the interior spaces are usually smaller which means a lot more "finish" work.

We (my place of business) are currently having a very large, commercial (health care) building put up. Demolition of the old structure, renovation of utilities, rebuilding the foundation, vertical construction (14 floors, I think), and interior finish is slated to be completed in 2009...and started about 6 months ago. Now, granted, we're in the NE US, so it's tough to do 365 day a year construction due to the limitations in the winter, but still.....

2 Years doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility, especially if they've slated this project as "no-rush".

What do you think the points will be? Do you think they will be higher than the other DVC resorts?

When I was on the tour van, I had inquired about CR becoming a DVC resort and the van driver basically said yes, but that it was rather secretive info. When I mentioned it to my guide, she sort of changed the subject politely. I think they already have the answers and have not released the info and it could be the reason someone mentioned on this thread that it could mess up the sales at AKV and SSR. I know that CMs often get MISinformation and that they do speculate, but I tend to trust a lot of it too. Guess we'll have to see! I am hoping for it to be DVC because that may just be my next home! It is the very first resort I ever stayed in at WDW! So nostalgic to me (even if the villas won't be...)

I was there today (I was working on walks for my site), I have a bunch of photos - there was a LOT of work going on there today. I'll post when they are up.

Photos would be nice -- but I'd rather see some 3rd party report stating that NO abestos remains!!!! THEN, and only then - we can continue to look to future developments! :)

Subscribing...I could sure use an add-on at the Contemporary....I can DREAM, can't I????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter