Most gentle and "old school" classic Disney film?

I love Robin Hood it's so cute and very funny I like Phil Harris as Little John and Prince John or shall I call him the phony king of England ha ha.

I'd avoid Peter Pan - lots of violence.

If he's had very little screen time and still thinks the mere concept of animation is uber-cool, it might be neat to show him an edited version of Fantasia. A few of the sequences are too dark/scary (the dinosaurs one and the witches on the mountain one), but the other ones are extremely gentle, fairly slow-paced, but cute and engaging. A kid who was used to more TV might find it really boring, but this kid just might like it, and it'd be neat to have him appreciate it before he was used to more fast-paced fare, you know? It's also an introduction to Mickey. I liked Fantasia as a not-very-media-savvy kid, and Mum fast-forwarded the scary sequences. The dancing mushrooms, hippos and centaurs are still pretty neat!

Several of the movies suggested are great but my dd still found them scary as a preschooler. In several, The Fox and the Hound, Dumbo, Bambi, and Nemo the Mother is killed or removed very early on which many little children find very upsetting and confusing. The Fox and the Hound also features a hunting theme that goes on throughout the movie and a pretty scary attack scene with a bear(? I think...)

My daughter absolutely loved Lady and the Tramp and Pooh Bear at around that age. Lady and the Tramp has a couple of scary scenes, a dog fight and a scene with a rat in the house which the Tramp then kills. Pooh Bear has no scary or distressing scenes. I also really like Robin Hood for that age group. I know it isn't "old school", but my daughter also really enjoyed Cars. The greater plot points may have gone over her head but the movie is visually arresting with lots of great songs and fun racing scenes and no upsetting or scary content whatsoever. It is long though, just fyi. I also have a soft place in my heart for Pocahontas which has beautiful old fashioned hand drawn animation and some lovely songs. The central conflict is about respect for one another and for the earth. It gets overlooked but its very nice.

We also got a couple of DVDS of old Disney shorts and we would sometimes watch just one or two little cartoons, they mostly run under 20 minutes and each DVD has a selection of different kinds of movies. For example one DVD might have some of the old goofy cartoons, on one we have "The brave little tailor" which is very cute with Mickey Mouse, maybe a Donald duck cartoon, etc... Also, Silly Symphony cartoons are a series of sweet shorts set to classical music themes. You can youtube some of those which makes them super easy too.

I can't tell you the ones that are the most gentle, but I can tell you the ones that are the least
#1. Pinocchio (I might have actually spelt that right)- Smoking, alcohol, gambling, bad messages
#2. The Princess and the Frog- Scary for little kids. I saw this on the opening night and during the voodoo scenes
I heard loads of kids screaming. Some "racism" (had to say that cause I had no idea what else to say,) that once happened in history that kids might not understand.
#3. Snow White-A true Disney classic, but scares little kids in some scenes.
For gentle movies, I recommend Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and all Pixar movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter