Mousellaneous Questions

Sc00teR

Earning My Ears
We're getting ready for our first trip to Disneyworld, and of course we're staying at Ft. Wilderness. Yay!

As we finish packing and planning (and nagging the various relatives who will be joining us not to forget anything important), I've got a couple of questions:

* What is the best route from Ft. Wilderness to the airport? One of our party is flying to meet us; the rest will arrive in the caravan.

* Where are the best places to grab groceries? I've heard there is one store nearby (besides the on-property options) that gouges ya... I found a route to a Costco 15 miles away which is a possibility, but I'm wondering if other people have better options.

* Speaking of shopping, are there Wal*Mart or Target type stores nearby, just in case... (I can hear it now... "Oops! Forgot to pack the lantern fuel!")

* We have an 8:05 reservation at Cindy's breakfast one day, before the boat can get us there. We've heard suggestions that we drive our own car over, or that we somehow connect via bus & monorail. Someone also mentioned that the front desk at Ft. Wilderness sent over a van to pick up their party and get them to the park on time. That last option sounds nice... Any idea how it works?

* How about laundry? How much does it cost at Ft. Wilderness? Any suggestions for a nearby laundromat as an alternative?

Thanks in advance for your help. As always, you guys are the GREATEST!

-- Scott

* What is the best route from Ft. Wilderness to the airport? One of our party is flying to meet us; the rest will arrive in the caravan.

~We also had to pick someone up at the airport. We went out the main enterance and just followed the signs. One bit of advice CALL AHEAD. We made the mistake of not doing this only to get to the airport and findout that the plane hadn't even left Chicago yet. There was some type of delay in Detroit so it was late getting in there.

* Where are the best places to grab groceries? I've heard there is one store nearby (besides the on-property options) that gouges ya... I found a route to a Costco 15 miles away which is a possibility, but I'm wondering if other people have better options.

~Here's a link to another board. It lists some near-by stores. I think that the expensive one that you're talking about is Goodings. It's right outside of Downtown Disney.

http://www.disneycampers.com/Disney/Disney_Area_Grocery_Stores.htm

* Speaking of shopping, are there Wal*Mart or Target type stores nearby, just in case... (I can hear it now... "Oops! Forgot to pack the lantern fuel!")

~We shopped at a Super Target. It's right off the highway on the way to the airport. You could do some "one stop" shopping there since they also have groceries.

* We have an 8:05 reservation at Cindy's breakfast one day, before the boat can get us there. We've heard suggestions that we drive our own car over, or that we somehow connect via bus & monorail. Someone also mentioned that the front desk at Ft. Wilderness sent over a van to pick up their party and get them to the park on time. That last option sounds nice... Any idea how it works?

~Sorry. I can't help on this one.

* How about laundry? How much does it cost at Ft. Wilderness? Any suggestions for a nearby laundromat as an alternative?

Laundry is pretty expensive. It's $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry. I brought our laundry soap so I don't know how much it is at FW but I can only imagine. For me, paying $4.00/load was worth it. We were right across from the comfort station so I just through it in and went back to the trailer. It was worth the convience for me.

Hope this helps!
Diane

Q: What is the best route from Ft. Wilderness to the airport? One of our party is flying to meet us; the rest will arrive in the caravan.

A: Take the SR-528-Toll W ramp towards US-17/International dr./US-441/US-92/Turnpike/I-4. Merge onto Bee Line Expressway (Portions toll), about 10 miles. Take the I-4 W exit on the left towards Tampa/DisneyWorld and merge onto I-4W (about 5 miles or a little less). Take exit 25B from I-4 to World Drive. Stay in the right lane. Follow World Drive to the MK main entrance/toll booth and tell the attendant you are staying at FW and/or show them your reservation. They will wave you through. Following the FW signs, you will turn right on Vista Blvd. The FW resort entrance will be on the left.

Q: Where are the best places to grab groceries? I've heard there is one store nearby (besides the on-property options) that gouges ya... I found a route to a Costco 15 miles away which is a possibility, but I'm wondering if other people have better options.

A: I have two to recommend. Get off I-4 at exit 27, Lake Buena Vista. If you’re going west, turn right, go about ¼ mile just past the Day’s Inn Maingate and there’s a strip shopping center with Goodings Grocery. It’s good quality and I like it, but it’s a little pricey. If you’re looking for better value, get off same place but turn left and go for about 2 miles to Hwy. 92 and there’s a Publix on the corner.

Q: Speaking of shopping, are there Wal*Mart or Target type stores nearby, just in case... (I can hear it now... "Oops! Forgot to pack the lantern fuel!")

A: There’s a Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Kissimmee. It’s about 10 miles away. Take the ramp towards I-4/Downtown Disney/Us-192/Disney/MGM Studios, merge onto Epcot Center Dr. Epcot Center Dr. becomes FL-536 E. Turn SLIGHT right on S. Apopka Vineland Rd. S. Apopka Vineland Rd. becomes Vineland Rd. Turn left onto W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. Becomes W. Vine Street. The Wal-Mart is at 4444 W. Vine St.

Q: We have an 8:05 reservation at Cindy's breakfast one day, before the boat can get us there. We've heard suggestions that we drive our own car over, or that we somehow connect via bus & monorail. Someone also mentioned that the front desk at Ft. Wilderness sent over a van to pick up their party and get them to the park on time. That last option sounds nice... Any idea how it works?

A: Don’t have a clue. When you get back let me know how you liked it!

Q How about laundry? How much does it cost at Ft. Wilderness? Any suggestions for a nearby laundromat as an alternative?

There are washers and dryers located in each comfort station. The washers are $2, the dryers $2 per 30 minutes. Vending machines for laundry detergent, fabric softener and bleach ($1) are also provided. There is a laundry located at the Cabin swimming pool as well. Can’t help with outside Laundromats, we always do ours in the RV anyway.

Have fun!

Jack

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'December 14, 2002 5:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to our bunny hop to Fort Wilderness! :bounce:</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'FW has the bunny inside!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

There is a Wal Mart on Rt 192 in Kissimmee & another one in Orlando on the corner of John Young Parkway & Sand Lake Road. They are both super stores & have groceries & all. There's also a Publix (best bet for groceries other than Wal Mart) by Sea World on Central FL Parkway.

If I remember correctly the 1st busses start running at 7 or 7:30 AM...but I'm not certain. It changes according to season I'm told.

The local laundromats are just as much as Disney...save the gas & do it at FW.

to get to the airport take I-4 East to the Beeline Expressway (rt. 528) the Beeline will take you right into the airport.

Thanks to my Mom who lives in Orlando for this info!

Dh thinks he heard of a laundry service at Fort Wilderness where they pick up your dirty laudry and then return it clean and folded. Anyone else heard of this?

hmmmmmmm I've heard of the dry cleaning service but not regular laundry...unless that is at the lodge? Most camper type peeps do their own I would think. I know I do!

This year is not going by fast enough for me to get to the mouse!!!:rolleyes:

According to wdwig.com, FW has a service available to both the cabins and the campers. For the cabins it says there is a laundry bag in the closet, and the campers need to contact housekeeping.

Thanks, Fraggle. I usually do my own, but it's nice to know that in a pinch, there is an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter