My blood is about to boil

Thank you my frustration is not to offend anyone its frustration that my hard work has not paid off

Those are my before and after for those who for whatever reason is offend by my vent

Awesome!

Tink, your post is not offensive. I can only speak for myself but I think that we are way too fixated on labels and not enough on health.

Several years ago my DH was told he was grossly obese and borderline morbidly obese by his brand new internist. WHAT?????? The Dr looked solely at his height and weight, but not at his build and his muscle. My DH was shocked, to say the least. The Dr. has since reevaluated his "concerns" and only speaks about his weight if he needs to lose 10 pounds. Buddy continued to see the Dr, but for some, that comment would have been enough to stop having yearly physicals. I am glad you came here to vent rather than to keep that thought inside where it could fester.

My dad is the one pushing and yes unfortunately he pays for the house that dh and live in and he said he would blam me if i became dibetic and ironically we are i8n a constant and i am at 26,726 steps as I speak but i am glad he pushed me i lost the pounds and my workouts and volunteer postion is now very easy

First, I believe that there is a difference between supporting a loved one to work on improving her health and using guilt to force her to diet. I see no connection between who pas the mortgage and who is being prodded to make changes. My DH paid the mortgage when we had one and he would be mortally wounded if he tried to guilt me into making changes.

The term Plus Size has been around for decades, since the 20's and 30's. They were created and marketed for the larger woman and there was nothing shameful about it.
People are too sensitive nowadays. I worked in a Plus Size clothing store when I was younger. There were no sizes under 14 in that store and the women who shopped there were far from ashamed of it.

Perhaps the reason the women you saw were "not ashamed" was because they were not judged in the store.
When I was a kid I was a "Chubette" and I was mortified at the connotation of the word. My DD was a "Pretty Plus" and she was not at all enchanted by that designation on clothing. You see, it is not the word itself that is the problem, it is how that word when associated with a woman's size can used to demean or judge that woman. If you patronize a "plus size" store you know you are in a safe place when you shop. No one is going to stare, make faces or whisper behind their hands. If you shop in a department store that has a range of sizes you may find that the experience is not as pleasant, and people in the store may not be as helpful.

I have no idea what size you are or how you feel about it personally, but having been on both sides of the size fence more than once, I am not going to tell a woman she should not be sensitive at a designation that pertains to her size.

Awesome!

Tink, your post is not offensive. I can only speak for myself but I think that we are way too fixated on labels and not enough on health.

Several years ago my DH was told he was grossly obese and borderline morbidly obese by his brand new internist. WHAT?????? The Dr looked solely at his height and weight, but not at his build and his muscle. My DH was shocked, to say the least. The Dr. has since reevaluated his "concerns" and only speaks about his weight if he needs to lose 10 pounds. Buddy continued to see the Dr, but for some, that comment would have been enough to stop having yearly physicals. I am glad you came here to vent rather than to keep that thought inside where it could fester.

First, I believe that there is a difference between supporting a loved one to work on improving her health and using guilt to force her to diet. I see no connection between who pas the mortgage and who is being prodded to make changes. My DH paid the mortgage when we had one and he would be mortally wounded if he tried to guilt me into making changes.

Perhaps the reason the women you saw were "not ashamed" was because they were not judged in the store.
When I was a kid I was a "Chubette" and I was mortified at the connotation of the word. My DD was a "Pretty Plus" and she was not at all enchanted by that designation on clothing. You see, it is not the word itself that is the problem, it is how that word when associated with a woman's size can used to demean or judge that woman. If you patronize a "plus size" store you know you are in a safe place when you shop. No one is going to stare, make faces or whisper behind their hands. If you shop in a department store that has a range of sizes you may find that the experience is not as pleasant, and people in the store may not be as helpful.

I have no idea what size you are or how you feel about it personally, but having been on both sides of the size fence more than once, I am not going to tell a woman she should not be sensitive at a designation that pertains to her size.

My point was telling that pp that "plus size" isn't meant as an insult, it is a term that was created almost 100 years ago as a descriptor for women who wear sizes bigger than a "large".
The pp is free to be sensitive about the term but assuming it is used an insult because someone who isn't a plus size doesn't want to be referred to as plus size is being over sensitive about the term.
As for me, I am the biggest size and heaviest I have ever been and I refuse to hold back the way I feel about the way I look and physically feel because someone may be offended that I'm not at all happy being this size.
Being sensitive about your own size is one thing, being sensitive about what others think about their own is another thing.

Last edited:
My point was telling that pp that "plus size" isn't meant as an insult, it is a term that was created almost 100 years ago as a descriptor for women who wear sizes bigger than a "large".
The pp is free to be sensitive about the term but assuming it is used an insult because someone who isn't a plus size doesn't want to be referred to as plus size is being over sensitive about the term.
As for me, I am the biggest size and heaviest I have ever been and I refuse to hold back the way I feel about the way I look and physically feel because someone may be offended that I'm not at all happy being this size.
Being sensitive about your own size is one thing, being sensitive about what others think about their own is another thing.

I understood your point, however there are times when we really need to reevaluate terms that pertain to size. I know that we need to designate clothing sizes, and I sure do know how long "plus" has been in our vocabulary, but we should also recognize that shaming women for size has been going on way too long.
I also never suggested that you should change how you feel about yourself, and wish all women could look in a mirror and be happy with the body they have. But you and I both know that is not the case, so when a woman who has worked very hard to shed pounds for her health sees that a size six is considered in any circle to be a "plus" you have to wonder if anything has changed. Girls still look at models as "normal" so categorizing a 6 as a lus makes my blood boil too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter