Need help with applying rhinestones to costume!

Fionasmommy

DIS Veteran
I'm making DD a princess dress out of silk taffeta. The design is kind of plain so I'd like to add sojme Swarovski crystals to give it some sparkle. I've been reading about "hotfix" crystals that you apply with a special heat wand, which sounds perfect. Thing is - i don't want to damage the fabric. However, as it's only a costume, I also don't want to take lots of time sewing each crystal individually. That pretty much leaves glue or hotfix.

Any tips on doing this right?

Fionasmommy said:
I'm making DD a princess dress out of silk taffeta. The design is kind of plain so I'd like to add sojme Swarovski crystals to give it some sparkle. I've been reading about "hotfix" crystals that you apply with a special heat wand, which sounds perfect. Thing is - i don't want to damage the fabric. However, as it's only a costume, I also don't want to take lots of time sewing each crystal individually. That pretty much leaves glue or hotfix.

Any tips on doing this right?

I've never heard of the hotfix crystals, but I added iron on crystals onto my daughters skirt but had to be very careful to not burn the fabric. I draped a towel around where I was placing the crystal and then just touched the top of the crystal with the tip of the iron. I just used a regular clothes iron. It worked and her dress now has sparkle on the skirt. Hope this helps.
You can find the iron on crystals next to the iron on transfers in stores. :)

I was lazy, I bought material with the rhinestones already embedded.

Now I have to have my scissors sharpened.

I have heard of the hotfix. Wish I knew where to get it. :sad2:

I found the Hotfix at Michaels yesterday! It costs $10.99. The crystals cost about $4/package. I will buy it on Tuesday. I used my 50% coupon for a tag maker.

I will post as soon as I try it. I want to put crystals on DD's Ariel wedding dress.

BuzzBelleMom said:
I found the Hotfix at Michaels yesterday! It costs $10.99. The crystals cost about $4/package. I will buy it on Tuesday. I used my 50% coupon for a tag maker.

I will post as soon as I try it. I want to put crystals on DD's Ariel wedding dress.

Lucky you!! I checked Michaels and Joann yesterday and couldn't find the hotfix crystals or the applicator, so I'm going to order online. Let me know how you do with it, I'd love to see photos! ;)

I will post, but only if it works! :)

Our Michael's just got it. You might want to ask the store manager if it they are planning on it.

I am waiting to use my coupon, btw. Just in case it doesn't work, I won't feel so bad. I am also going to use it BEFORE I sew the dress together. Burn marks look bad on white.

Hancocks has the BeadDazzle on sale for $15.99 or so. regular is $19.99. I hesitated to buy it because it just looked a little "dinky". Plus, I didn't see that big of a variety of crystals, but that's par for our local Hancock. Oh, to have a big new fabric store in town..............

I buy swarovski crystals that have glue on them for my skating dresses. I don't know what they are called, but they sound like the ones that you are talking about. A lot of people use a bejeweler or similar tool to heat them, but I use an upside-down iron (or a frying pan). All you do is put them on the iron with the glue side up. Wait until the glue bubbles, then touch the tip of a pin onto it to pick it up and put it on the dress. Sometimes the glue shifts a little, but you can hardly tell. I don't think that it is really possible to burn the fabric or the crystal. This method works great, the only problem is that a few crystals may eventually fall off. A lot of the skating dress makers around here use a special glue for their crystals and they seem to stay better. I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!!!!

I didn't get around to buying the Hotfix until Friday, and using it until today. I did use the 40% coupon from Michael's. It made it like $7.

Verdict: it does work! :Pinkbounc I bought the metal-trimmed rhinestones and used the flat tip. We just laid them on the material, set the hot tip on and counted until about 40.

They seem to be stuck on, but I can never put that dress in the dryer again. Heating them that way will cause them to fall off, according to the instructions. Of all things to try it on, we used the bodice from the still-unsewn Ariel Wedding dress which is cut out of a sort-of dress lining ( I am using three layers so it is not see-through.) Not sure how dry-cleaning will do since I do that in the dryer with those special kits.

Hobby Lobby has the stones on sale for 30% off this week. I need to go get more. DD wants to have a very decorated dress. She wants it encrusted, infact.

I will post once we used the regular heat-set stones.

BuzzBelleMom said:
I didn't get around to buying the Hotfix until Friday, and using it until today. I did use the 40% coupon from Michael's. It made it like $7.

Verdict: it does work! :Pinkbounc I bought the metal-trimmed rhinestones and used the flat tip. We just laid them on the material, set the hot tip on and counted until about 40.

They seem to be stuck on, but I can never put that dress in the dryer again. Heating them that way will cause them to fall off, according to the instructions. Of all things to try it on, we used the bodice from the still-unsewn Ariel Wedding dress which is cut out of a sort-of dress lining ( I am using three layers so it is not see-through.) Not sure how dry-cleaning will do since I do that in the dryer with those special kits.

Hobby Lobby has the stones on sale for 30% off this week. I need to go get more. DD wants to have a very decorated dress. She wants it encrusted, infact.

I will post once we used the regular heat-set stones.

Glad you found it at Michaels! I called our local one and they gave me the "I have no idea what you are talking about" spiel. Hobby Lobby has one, different brand, for something like $9.99. The only problem here was the crystals that they had actually seemed very tiny. Not a great selection either. I wonder if the ones from the other makers would work with it? I'd only be using it on things like purses, my kids are too tough on jeans to not be able to dry them ever again! :lmao:

I let DD try the jewel glue today. It seemed rather messy to me, but it does seem to hold. I am hoping to get some more Hotfix Jewels tomorrow. Everytime I try to get to Hobby Lobby, something comes up.

My DD has a pair of shoes with rhinestones in the shape of Mickey's head on them. Both shoes have lost several of the stones, but she doesn't want to throw them away because they are very comfortable. Do you think one of these would work to glue new stones on? The fabric is denim and the stones are clear.

I would go check out the selection of the Hotfix crystals to make sure that they have the size you need. I would think they could work, I put them on DD's dress (Ariel's wedding gown) and they look great. They also seem to be stuck well on.

I would go with the Hotfix tool, I am not sure if you would want to risk removing other crystals if you were to use an iron.

All told, we put over 150 crystals on the bodice of the dress. It is now rather blingy and DD is very happy.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter