New Disney Book - The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World

This book qualifies for free shipping if you are willing to add to your order to $25 with something else that qualifies.

I've been looking for a good Disney World book and this sure sounds like a good one.

Thanks to all who recommended it, especially the OP.

I'm almost done reading it. One thing I would have liked to see is something about the resorts. Maybe in her next book!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks to this thread, I went to Borders this afternoon and used the 40% coupon they emailed and got the book for $7.77! So excited to read it :)

I just bought this book yesterday and am almost done! It is a great read and a nice deviation from the run of the mill guide books. Susan did a great job!! It is in my stack of must read/keepers... DD11 wants to read it next! :yay:

I'm a slow reader, so I'm usually lucky if I get through an entire book in a month or two. However, I did finish chapter one, the Magic Kingdom, today. Now, I'll admit I'm biased. I've been proud to call Cleo (Susan) my good friend since the early days of the DIS. So, when the book finally got listed on Amazon last September, I pre-ordered it immediately.

Friendship aside, this book stands on its own as a great book for any WDW lover. I don't view this as a "guide book" that explains the attractions in WDW and what time of day you should hit them, in what order and where to enjoy a nice lunch. This book basically assumes you already know all that. This book looks to point out much of the overlooked, hidden details that were put into the parks and allow us to appreciate the parks just that much more. Much of this information can be gotten from various resources and from taking behind the scenes tours at WDW. But Cleo did a great job compiling it all into an easy to follow resource and did extensive research to dig up a *lot* of information that was not readily available prior to this book. In addition, there is a lot of misinformation available in print books and here, online, as a result of stories being passed down over the years, eventually becoming "known fact" just from being retold so many times. This book looks to find those truths and debunk those stories that just aren't true. I've heard the story about Madame Leota's ring at the Haunted Mansion and had the ring pointed out to me by a WDW tour guide. Imagine my surprise when I read the truth about the ring in this book (I'll leave that surprise for others to read about).

So, yes, from the chapter I've read so far, this is a great book. The type of book I enjoy. A book that doesn't tell me the best trick to catch a short wait for Dumbo, but instead the type of book that points out the hidden details that make me love and appreciate the parks that much more. Anyone who enjoys WDW should buy this book! And those who do not enjoy WDW, may find they suddenly do after reading this book.

OOOH awesome!! Going to get it. Thanks for sharing!!

Just as a quick update, you may need to ask your local bookstore to check if they have it in stock (the chances are they will) as some are not putting it on shelves yet because of the 'June' publication date. We visited our local Borders this week (just to check! :rotfl: ) and there was nothing on the shelves but, when we asked, they had two copies in the stockroom they were able to bring out. Seems like there is a bit of confusion still... :rolleyes:

I like it. I just got through Magic Kingdom and I'm enjoying the tidbits.

I like it for being so current, too.

This is a keeper!

I ordered mine after seeing this thread and have read through the MK and half of Epcot sections. I have to say that after 7 trips tp WDW in as many years, I thought I knew lots about WDW...maybe I do, but I know less than 50% of what I've read so far! This book is wonderful - even my 10-year-old DD has picked it up. The MK section in particular (so far) has so many fascinating pieces of information - we can't wait to look for them in November! There are too many things to remember - I'll have to bring it with me...

:sunny:

Bought my copy this morning at Books-A-Million. Can't wait to get started!

Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter