New Household Temp Guidelines

I have not seen the recommendations set the temperatures quite that high before. All I can say is that will not fly at my house.

There is absolutely, positively no way I could sleep with the A/C set at 82...I like more like 65 to be honest, but realistically we sleep at 68.

First: gross. 82 degrees when sleeping means a lot of sweating and not much sleeping IMHO. Even my DW who's cold whenever the outside temp is below 80 couldn't handle this.

Second: thank goodness this is America where I can set my thermostat where I like it. I might lower it a couple of extra degrees tonight in silent protest.

HAHAHAHA. Not in South Florida.

We sleep at 75* and keep it at 76* during the day. I think that's pretty warm for a South Florida home.
Same here in south Louisiana...absolutely not! 75 during the day & 69/70 at night. Would lower it more, but DS’ room is colder than ours.

We had a programmable thermostat for 5 years, set it to stay warmer when nobody was home, and I wondered why my energy bills were going up.
But an old fashioned thermostat in, and we leave it at 70-72 ish all the time. My bills dropped. The AC just had to work too hard on a 105 degree day to catch up .

yeah.....not happening. Sorry world, I will be your demise.

We live in a part of the world where extreme heat really isn't an issue. A few days a year (yesterday was one of them) temperatures reach the high 80's. Less than 1-in-10 houses have central A/C. Heat on the other hand, we need practically all year round. Our province has the strictest carbon-reduction policies in Canada and we are charged a "carbon-emissions levy" on all of our household energy bills. It's high - 30% tax on the cost of the actual commodity (natural gas, electricity, propane and heating oil). The government uses the money to purchase carbon off-sets. We are basically being taxed on keeping ourselves alive in this environment (winter and double-digit below zero temperatures are just around the corner). It's upsetting and a real hardship for some; it definitely has resulted in people changing their consumption habits by keeping their houses warmer/cooler than they would ideally like.

I live in Fl and I do almost the exact opposite lol. I keep my house at 81/82 during the day because I'm the only one home and I enjoy the warmth. At night for sleep we have it at 76 because it's just hard to sleep when it is too warm.

We had a programmable thermostat for 5 years, set it to stay warmer when nobody was home, and I wondered why my energy bills were going up.

But an old fashioned thermostat in, and we leave it at 70-72 ish all the time. My bills dropped. The AC just had to work too hard on a 105 degree day to catch up .

When I lived in AZ, I learned that changing the temp during different parts of the day resulted in higher electric bills. Now, I just keep it the same all day long.

Another South Floridian here, We put air on 71 at night, plus a ceiling fan and I have a stand fan on my side of the bed.
During the day 73-74.

We're in the South, the land of humidity, w/ temps in the summer in the 90s w/ heat indices over 100. Last week, it felt like 105.

There's absolutely NO WAY any of us could sleep at 82 degrees! I just can't even imagine.

During the warmer months, my threshold of comfort is 72 degrees during the day. Anything above 72 is just too stuffy.
At night, we hover around 70, but I'd like to go down to 68. We also have ceiling fans in the bedrooms.

Am I the only one that thinks that headline seriously needs IN THE SUMMER or USING YOUR A/C?
The coolest I keep my house in the WINTER is NOT 78 degrees. My parents on the other hand....

I have a ceiling fan right above my bed. I have found that if I sleep with the fan on I can keep the house a good 2-3 degrees warmer and still be very comfortable at night. Even with the fan though, 82 would be too hot to sleep.

I'm always cold, but that seems high even to me.

I set hotel rooms to 74 at night and lower it to around 72 when I'm up and getting ready (it gets warm blow drying your hair). No central air at home, so in the summer my bedroom is whatever temp it is outside and it's usually fine for sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter