NEW VGF Building

Agreed. But if these sell quickly, and I suspect they will, they will continue to do this type of conversion. TBH, I only think these will sell quickly because of the three most important things in real estate interests, location, location, location. The name alone will help sell, VGF. Also, while the creation of DVC was around "Welcome Home", and an emphasis on larger more comfortable accommodations, the message has changed. It is now, stay at luxury resorts at 50% the cost and "guarantee" your cost (ignoring the increasing MF). The changed message has an increased focus on studios. So a building of all studios at GF, exactly matches the new marketing message.
I suspect the changed messaging that now focuses on Studios has to do with cost.

The typical one-bedroom is double the number of points as the typical Studio.

With current direct pricing, someone is going to have to pay $50,000 or (potentially much) more for a week at a VGF one-bedroom. It’s easier to sell these points as Studios, where the limiting factor is the 150-point minimum.

The current VGF Building renovations (soft goods) are not be tied to BPK’s renovation. Right?

Agreed, the new building is a huge disappointment. I think it’s going to affect current owners negatively if we want the deluxe studios. We’ll see, maybe it won’t!

The current VGF Building renovations (soft goods) are not be tied to BPK’s renovation. Right?

Agreed, the new building is a huge disappointment. I think it’s going to affect current owners negatively if we want the deluxe studios. We’ll see, maybe it won’t!

Correct. Assuming nothing has changed in Sof good timelines.

Last edited:
I suspect the changed messaging that now focuses on Studios has to do with cost.

The typical one-bedroom is double the number of points as the typical Studio.

With current direct pricing, someone is going to have to pay $50,000 or (potentially much) more for a week at a VGF one-bedroom. It’s easier to sell these points as Studios, where the limiting factor is the 150-point minimum.
Agreed. So many people are saying that the VGF2 sales will make one bedrooms harder to book. I think the one bedroom point charts, especially the lake view, are way too high for buyers who will be interested in an all studio bldg. Even those studios will be relatively high priced.

Agreed. So many people are saying that the VGF2 sales will make one bedrooms harder to book. I think the one bedroom point charts, especially the lake view, are way too high for buyers who will be interested in an all studio bldg. Even those studios will be relatively high priced.

I agree, but it is a weird situation with so many points being introduced into the association. Nonetheless, it would seem the new direct purchasers really will not be gunning for the larger 1BR and 2BR units.

1BRs in general are placed oddly high. I love 1BRs and bought enough points so that we can upgrade to 1BRs, but I’ll admit my budget-conscious brain just cringes in general at the cost of 1BRs, especially when I can get 2 studios for the same price some parts of the year. My boys have appreciated my desire for best point-for-value, though, because in some cases the 2BR isn’t that much more, and now they get their own room!

I agree, but it is a weird situation with so many points being introduced into the association. Nonetheless, it would seem the new direct purchasers really will not be gunning for the larger 1BR and 2BR units.

It may not be there initial thought but adding that many points to compete for the same # of 1 bedrooms will change the dynamic for booking and I do think owners of VGF who want 1 and 2 bedrooms will have different experiences now in getting those.

In the past, waiting beyond the 11 month window for a 1 bedroom may have been no big deal...now, it may be. I think non owners who want them, like me, may have a harder time using our non home resort points at 7 months.

We do plan to add on 50 to 75 points when they go on sale, so we can have at least a few nights every other December, but those new points will be used toward 1 or 2 bedrooms!

Because of the additional square footage, 440 sq ft vs 374 sq ft, I suspect that the nightly point cost will be higher for the resort studios, resulting in the current deluxe studios becoming comparable in demand to value studios at AKV.

Because of the additional square footage, 440 sq ft vs 374 sq ft, I suspect that the nightly point cost will be higher for the resort studios, resulting in the current deluxe studios becoming comparable in demand to value studios at AKV.
Which will screw every current owner and I will sell my VGF contracts in the next two years. I’ll pick up more AKV. I’ll view it as enjoying GF from 2012 and will likely be able to sell fof significantly more than the $145 I bought it for.

I think the resort rooms will be 1-3 points less per night. Which still will put pressure on the deluxe studios. I don’t think it’ll be based solely on square footage. We shall see, but you may well be right!

Which will screw every current owner and I will sell my VGF contracts in the next two years. I’ll pick up more AKV. I’ll view it as enjoying GF from 2012 and will likely be able to sell fof significantly more than the $145 I bought it for.

I think the resort rooms will be 1-3 points less per night. Which still will put pressure on the deluxe studios. I don’t think it’ll be based solely on square footage. We shall see, but you may well be right!

I think the points will inflate and the price per point will go through the roof. I don't see any reason DVC would charge less for the new rooms. Point charts only go one way. DVC is in no hurry to sell through, they have nothing else planned and no money to build RIV2. I think that's the opposite of screwing VGF1, except for the pressure it puts on the 1BR and 2BR. A few points more for the studios that you can easily book at 8 months is awesome to me! Better than a point hog CCV cabin.

The way they could put in bungalows is to make the theme park view crazy pricing or throw out a cheese plate and call it club level. AKL club level is shared with cash guests who actually expect a real club level. DVC marketing could do a lot selling a mediocre VGF club level forever.

I was the highest guess in the pricing thread at 275. If I'm right, that will make your VGF resale even more valuable. It's at all time high right now. Not a bad time to sell if you want something else.

I was the highest guess in the pricing thread at 275. If I'm right, that will make your VGF resale even more valuable. It's at all time high right now. Not a bad time to sell if you want something else.

During a recent open house tour, we were informed that VGF sales were halted, so that the introductory price for the VGF expansion can be lower. The aim is to minimize the number of phone calls, from dissatisfied members, who paid a higher amount, for VGF points, prior to the sale of points from the expansion.

Making a purchase from a retail store was used as an example and, specifically, buying a sweater at full price, which then goes on sale the next day for 25% off. Many stores offer a price adjustment within a specified period of time. With VGF, there will be no price adjustments. Instead, there will be a sufficient freeze/no-sale period prior to the introductory offer.

I think the points will inflate and the price per point will go through the roof. I don't see any reason DVC would charge less for the new rooms. Point charts only go one way. DVC is in no hurry to sell through, they have nothing else planned and no money to build RIV2. I think that's the opposite of screwing VGF1, except for the pressure it puts on the 1BR and 2BR. A few points more for the studios that you can easily book at 8 months is awesome to me! Better than a point hog CCV cabin.
If the new resort rooms are more points, a lot of new & old owners at 11 months will be competing for the 47 deluxe studios to save points. Yes, I think that really harms current owners as it puts pressure on every room category in the old building. I agree, I'd rather have new studios or even these resort rooms compared to cabins. They aren't great for owners at CCV (& to lessor extent the poly) for the amount of points they soak up in the system. If the resort rooms are 1-3 points less than deluxe, I think that would help all of us at 11 months. I think regardless it will be harder to get a 1 and 2 bedroom, that seems like a done done. IMO the wildcard is the 47 deluxe studios and that'll depend on the pricing of the resort rooms to a certain extent.

I do not want to sell; but if I cannot get a deluxe studio at 11 months without hassle (for most of the year) than I am selling. It was already hard in October and December; we've done that time frame a few times but now tend to stay at GFV in the spring to avoid the potential walking and/or disappointment. It's a small consolation that we can sell for more than we bought, but at this point I wish BPK was not happening at all as I was very happy with our VGF purchase at $145 and availability of rooms. So sure if the price per point goes up we win in that regard but I'd really rather not have to sell.

We'll give it a few years and see how it goes; if we can get deluxe studios at 11 months in March, April and May we'll keep our 140 VGF points :)

During a recent open house tour, we were informed that VGF sales were halted, so that the introductory price for the VGF expansion can be lower. The aim is to minimize the number of phone calls, from dissatisfied members, who paid a higher amount, for VGF points, prior to the sale of points from the expansion.

Making a purchase from a retail store was used as an example and, specifically, buying a sweater at full price, which then goes on sale the next day for 25% off. Many stores offer a price adjustment within a specified period of time. With VGF, there will be no price adjustments. Instead, there will be a sufficient freeze/no-sale period prior to the introductory offer.

We were given similar info when we stayed at VGF by the DVC people at the resort. Granted, it could be guessing on their part, but the point was the same. They seemed to imply it would be lower than the $255 it was before sales were halted.

IMO, these resort studios will not be more, but less. They are different. Now, by less I mean a few points...nothing major...but enough to make people want them vs. only wanting the originals.

I do not want to sell; but if I cannot get a deluxe studio at 11 months without hassle (for most of the year) than I am selling. It was already hard in October and December; we've done that time frame a few times but now tend to stay at GFV in the spring to avoid the potential walking and/or disappointment.

Tough call. It will be easier to get some kind of studio, but it might be a hotel room, and it might be higher point cost or in an annoying booking category like theme park view or pool view or whatever, to take a few more points. I view that as positive. If that's not your goal, then yea... Maybe time to sell.

Last edited:
IMO, these resort studios will not be more, but less. They are different. Now, by less I mean a few points...nothing major...but enough to make people want them vs. only wanting the originals.

If, for example, Sago Cay was selected for conversion, then I would be less inclined to anticipate higher point costs. However, the views from Big Pine Key present a unique difference. Presently, Big Pine Key has three view categories: Garden, Lagoon, and Theme Park. Regarding the Theme Park view, guests are able to directly observe fireworks from their balconies without obstruction. When staying in a Lake view villa in the original building (e.g., studio, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom), only the villas in the east wing offer a view, which is not direct.

Twenty-eight villas in Big Pine Key will be 66 sq ft larger and have one of the best fireworks views on property. I would be very surprised if a Theme Park view resort studio is less than a Standard View deluxe studio in the original building.

If, for example, Sago Cay was selected for conversion, then I would be less inclined to anticipate higher point costs. However, the views from Big Pine Key present a unique difference. Presently, Big Pine Key has three view categories: Garden, Lagoon, and Theme Park. Regarding the Theme Park view, guests are able to directly observe fireworks from their balconies without obstruction. When staying in a Lake view villa in the original building (e.g., studio, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom), only the villas in the east wing offer a view, which is not direct.

Twenty-eight villas in Big Pine Key will be 66 sq ft larger and have one of the best fireworks views on property. I would be very surprised if a Theme Park view resort studio is less than a Standard View deluxe studio in the original building.

I didn’t realize those views were that good. Then I do think those may be more points…but I don’t see the ones on the side of the building facing the pool being more.

So, maybe it will be the same 3 views as now with some being more and some being less.

It may not be there initial thought but adding that many points to compete for the same # of 1 bedrooms will change the dynamic for booking and I do think owners of VGF who want 1 and 2 bedrooms will have different experiences now in getting those.

In the past, waiting beyond the 11 month window for a 1 bedroom may have been no big deal...now, it may be. I think non owners who want them, like me, may have a harder time using our non home resort points at 7 months.

We do plan to add on 50 to 75 points when they go on sale, so we can have at least a few nights every other December, but those new points will be used toward 1 or 2 bedrooms!
I am happy you have decided to go with one bedrooms at VGF. I am not sure we are. I know that the new studios do not appeal to me. Happily we have two VGF lake view studio stays coming up, Christmas time and Easter time. I hope they aren’t our last VGF stays as resort owners. If 50 additional points would give us a few nights every other Christmas we may go that way too. I just am not sure I want to buy more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter