News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

DREAM big. DREAM. The Disney DREAM will be stopping at Castaway Cay in January, which is where you could do the Castaway Cay challenge after finishing the marathon. And the picture is in light blue, Blue is the predominant color of the 50th celebrations. This means there is "light" at the end of the tunnel that there will be a WDW marathon during the 50th Anniversary celebrations....

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Honestly, a part of me loves this. Because it is sooooo snarky! And Disney/runDisney is never snarky. It's kind of refreshing! Except that I suspect it's not actually meant to be snarky...

Anyway. Breathe. It'll be okay. We'll know when we know. It's a weird time and things are moving as quickly as they can from all I've heard.

They’re definitely trolling us but it’s as obvious as it can be without an official announcement that in-person races are coming back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m itching for an official announcement with more info but it looks like they have a plan and aren’t ready to announce it yet for whatever reason.
Exactly.

so it's probably been a stressful year+ for whoever posts and/or approves the social media posts so I'm just telling myself that at least they are enjoying the reactions and having a little fun, albeit at our expense. Yeah, that's it. :P

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Honestly, a part of me loves this. Because it is sooooo snarky! And Disney/runDisney is never snarky. It's kind of refreshing! Except that I suspect it's not actually meant to be snarky...

Anyway. Breathe. It'll be okay. We'll know when we know. It's a weird time and things are moving as quickly as they can from all I've heard.

Exactly.
Yeah, I already re-vectored to just being stressed about getting a Dopey registration. That's more stress then them announcing the real races which I believe will happen. I don't have enough fingernails left, or fingers...and I can't yet reach my toes with my mouth because I'm out of runDisney shape.

In all seriousness, I view all of the developments over the last week+ as unequivocally good things. Putting aside the new things opening and returning at the Parks, the last two social media posts have underscored TRAINING as part of their vague messages. They couldn't be any more clear than if they'd announce a registration date was imminent (which they kind of did with the website going live a few days ago, before being quickly taken down)

Yeah, I already re-vectored to just being stressed about getting a Dopey registration.
After getting shut out of Dopey last time - a first for me - I'm already adjusting my expectations, ready to be shut out again. I guess one outcome of this pandemic is that I expect very, very little anymore, and am a lot better at going with the flow and trying not to anticipate much of anything.

Yeah, I already re-vectored to just being stressed about getting a Dopey registration. That's more stress then them announcing the real races which I believe will happen. I don't have enough fingernails left, or fingers...and I can't yet reach my toes with my mouth because I'm out of runDisney shape.

On this note, I have never done Marathon weekend. How hard is it usually to get a Goofy or Dopey registration? Do those also sell out in minutes?

On this note, I have never done Marathon weekend. How hard is it usually to get a Goofy or Dopey registration? Do those also sell out in minutes?

The extremely unhelpful answer is, it depends. Some years they sell quickly, some years there was availability into December. I would bet that 2022 will sell quickly because we're all itching to run at Disney again.

Traditionally Goofy has taken a long, long while, if it even sells out at all. Dopey was a much hotter ticket the first few years but easier to get more recently. I'm banking on pent-up demand to be sky-high this year, and everything going right away.

And right now, given the Galloway plan for Dopey starting next week as Billy said, they are asking you to start training for a really big endeavor without even knowing a) whether it will happen at all (yes maybe they know this but you don't) or b) whether you will get in. Because I presume they will not announce a race and then open registration the next day. Who wants to start training for something there is a high chance you will be shut out of? It's been all fun & games watching and waiting but this is the first time I've started to really feel they need to say something.

I don’t think they would encourage us to train if nothing was in the pipeline. I’m sure races will sell outfaster than usual (potential smaller field +/- pent up demand) but personally, I’ve never been unable to register for the race I wanted when I’ve logged on at the time registration opens. I have the benefit of an AP but have registered friends on regular registration day too before. I don’t think there’s a “high chance” someone would get shut out if they’re on top of things enough to be on DIS.

So, before I cause trouble, I'm just gonna say, where's the dang announcement rD????? I'm waiting here...

That said ... I don't think they're trolling us. The need to post on social at a regular cadence to maintain their engagement rates because that impacts their visibility (something about the algorithms favoring accounts with greater engagement ... I don't know how it works). So even if they don't have approval to post an announcement, they still need to post something. Actually, all of the complaining comments probably also help their engagement. So the useless posts aren't trolling, they're necessary for their business.

That said ... I'm hoping someone somewhere at Disney decides to finally approve posting something about races, because I too am very annoyed at the fact that the posts are not announcements.

I don’t think they would encourage us to train if nothing was in the pipeline. I’m sure races will sell outfaster than usual (potential smaller field +/- pent up demand) but personally, I’ve never been unable to register for the race I wanted when I’ve logged on at the time registration opens. I have the benefit of an AP but have registered friends on regular registration day too before. I don’t think there’s a “high chance” someone would get shut out if they’re on top of things enough to be on DIS.
I'm AP as well and haven't been able to register on AP days for the past few races and got shut out of Princess as well. That's with 3 people with 2 computers each trying from 15 minutes before the appropriate time and refreshing constantly. I did get Dopey 2021 and SW 2021 but with a lot of effort. ( I almost had Princess but it sold out while I was entering my credit card info). Previous years it has been much easier for me.

I'm AP as well and haven't been able to register on AP days for the past few races and got shut out of Princess as well. That's with 3 people with 2 computers each trying from 15 minutes before the appropriate time and refreshing constantly. I did get Dopey 2021 and SW 2021 but with a lot of effort. ( I almost had Princess but it sold out while I was entering my credit card info). Previous years it has been much easier for me.
That scared me, the only Disney run I did was through travel agent so I did not have to worry about getting it. But this time I will have to do it on my own because we are DVC now, good news I get to try during the early one first.

I really do not know what to expect this time. Things went extra fast the last time due to reduced capacity, and we don't know if that will be the case again. I was online and through to the virtual queue in seconds, and still got shut out of Dopey, on early AP registration day AND regular registration day - a first for me! There is pent-up demand, but also a lot of folks who can't/won't travel yet, and a lot of folks who've moved to non-rD races. I do suspect a 5K and 10K would go quickly because they're always so popular. Probably Dopey. Maybe Goofy. Marathon I don't expect to go very quickly, assuming normal capacity. The Half is the wildcard: some years it never sells out, and others it goes fast. "Fast" might mean an hour or two, or could be 5 minutes. I feel like it's impossible to guess this time.

I stand corrected. Thankfully my friends and I have always gotten what we want. I’ve already put myself and a friend on a list with a TA because I do worry it’ll be more difficult when races return. I figure that’ll give me 3 shots and my friend (without an AP) 2 chances to snag Dopey bibs. We’re doing a half in December so committing to training for Dopey from now until Disney makes something official/we secure spots isn’t a big deal.

One more domino - they just announced D23 November 19-21 at WDW. I don't know if they will limit capacity but that's another huge live event on the calendar. Feeling pretty good about MW in January.
Just came here to post this. The 2017 event in Anaheim had a reported 100k in attendance. If they're hosting indoors events of any large capacity in November....

I've also never had much success with the limited registrations available early to AP/DVC. But I've never been totally shut out on regular registration day. ::knock wood::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter