News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

I’d suggest having your adult son log in on multiple devices as well and hope for the best! The 5K could go quickly. It seems to be very random, in my experience sometimes logging in right at 10am gets you in faster than logging in before 10am (this has happened more than once for my family, but I think sometimes it also depends on the device and probably luck). On registration day it’s all hands on deck!

Edit to add: Yes, races can sell out while you’re still waiting in the queue…

Heck, I've seen races sell out while attempting to check out!

So I know we are anticipating a LOT of demand for MW (and princess), but how do we feel like the international community is going to come into play? I know things are 6-8 months away, and things could change a lot, but right now there are still pretty strict orders out about borders and quarantines, etc. Do we feel like the same number of international runners will be willing to gamble hundreds of dollars in registration fees this far out?

So I know we are anticipating a LOT of demand for MW (and princess), but how do we feel like the international community is going to come into play? I know things are 6-8 months away, and things could change a lot, but right now there are still pretty strict orders out about borders and quarantines, etc. Do we feel like the same number of international runners will be willing to gamble hundreds of dollars in registration fees this far out?
Great thought! maybe that will help our chances!

Yes. We will. :cool2:

From Canada here, and I'll be signing up no matter what. But I'm lucky in that the US hasn't locked us out, not the same deal with the UK or other countries.

I'm not sure they will even open the registration to non US and Canadian users. I doubt they will block it explicitly but will only allow for a US or Canadian address. In reality it doesn't matter what the travel situation is at the time of the race, it is the situation at the time of registration that matters. It is possible they will hold back some registrations to release later for international guests but that depends on whether or not they can make the business case to do that.

You’re best best is to find out who the hosting provider is for the registration service Disney is using. Spin up multiple VMs on that service (as many as you can afford) with scripts running to hit the registration site starting about an hour before registration opens. Be sure you have Windows for all the VMs open and all your registration details ready (credit card CCV, etc.) so you can quickly enter them as soon as one of the VMms hit.
of course, I’m kidding 😀😀😀
As others have said - multiple devices. If you got them and get on the site at least 1/2 hour before registration opens. Think RoTR on steroids (in this case, there HAVE been examples of people being able to register “early”.)

I'm not sure they will even open the registration to non US and Canadian users. I doubt they will block it explicitly but will only allow for a US or Canadian address. In reality it doesn't matter what the travel situation is at the time of the race, it is the situation at the time of registration that matters. It is possible they will hold back some registrations to release later for international guests but that depends on whether or not they can make the business case to do that.

I feel like they would have communicated that with the announcement though? Otherwise there will be LOTS of int'l runners clogging up registration, and REALLY ANGRY people when they can't complete their registration.

But that was my question: will the current covid restrictions at the time of registration deter a lot of people, or will they all be willing to gamble on the restrictions being lifted?

We will have multiple 5K runners and 10K runners to register. Once you are into the registration, do you register everyone at once or do you register each person individually? We will have multiple devices going but if we have to get in 6 times, idk how we will succeed.

We will have multiple 5K runners and 10K runners to register. Once you are into the registration, do you register everyone at once or do you register each person individually? We will have multiple devices going but if we have to get in 6 times, idk how we will succeed.
You can register everyone at once

Okay, Step 1 complete. For some reason, the DVC website wouldn't let me book anything last night. No matter which available room I chose, it said that the room suddenly was unavailable. It was fixed by this morning, though, and I have a room for January.

Now, onto the more daunting Step 2: actually securing a spot in the WDW Half Marathon, 10 years after our first Half at Disney World! My wife and I missed out on a 20th wedding anniversary race at W&D 2020, so I'm hoping we can do this!

You can register everyone at once
I've never tried to register that many people at once, so I ask this purely out of curiosity. Would having to enter information for 6 people end up risking the race(s) selling out by the time you get to check out? Would it be better to split it up based on how many people/devices you have? Two groups of 3? Three groups of 2? I know any option leaves room for races selling out, but I was just wondering... :scratchin

I've never tried to register that many people at once, so I ask this purely out of curiosity. Would having to enter information for 6 people end up risking the race(s) selling out by the time you get to check out? Would it be better to split it up based on how many people/devices you have? Two groups of 3? Three groups of 2? I know any option leaves room for races selling out, but I was just wondering... :scratchin

I still think I'd want to register everyone together. Assuming they won't have POT, That leaves masses of people who will get more random assignments to corals. If you register together then they should have you all in the same corral. If not everyone could end up split up. Now everyone can just drop back to the latest corral on race day but that might not be ideal.

There are multiple things occurring that effect both supply and demand.

On the supply side:
  • What capacity will the races be set at? Arguments could be made for the same, more, or less.
  • Will rD set an initial lower capacity and increase it later if demand and covid allow it?
On the demand side:
  • Is there a pent up demand that will increase the "normal" demand?
  • Are there many folks that still feel a bit uneasy with racing in large numbers that will skip this year?
  • Will the virtual options pull runners away from the in-person races?
  • Are the few dozen folks who post here and are crazy excited (like me) about racing again at Disney at all indicative of the overall rD running population?
  • Will the runners from outside the USA want to / be able to register given the unknowns of travel requirements?
The questions are easy; the answers are mainly unknown. I am going to plan for crazy fast registration sell-outs, and hope that I am wrong.

I can't speak for all international runners but I'm definitely in a 'take my money' mood to gamble! UK based but have booked fully refundable flights & accommodation for both W&D and MW in the hope we might get in...we can dream!

I can't speak for all international runners but I'm definitely in a 'take my money' mood to gamble! UK based but have booked fully refundable flights & accommodation for both W&D and MW in the hope we might get in...we can dream!
I wish you all the luck and pixie dust! I hope to be heading across the pond and will be in the UK during Princess registration!

Okay, Step 1 complete. For some reason, the DVC website wouldn't let me book anything last night. No matter which available room I chose, it said that the room suddenly was unavailable. It was fixed by this morning, though, and I have a room for January.

I responded on the other thread, but for others who may be reading here, this is a known glitch that has been going on for several days now. I was able to book after several refresh attempts yesterday, so keep trying. Or get on the phone and be prepared to wait out the queue.

The questions are easy; the answers are mainly unknown. I am going to plan for crazy fast registration sell-outs, and hope that I am wrong.

You're asking all the right questions and are things I've been thinking about as well. To me the biggest question is what field size they are planning on. I'm hoping they go back to something similar size wise to 2020 MW and before. Otherwise I think we will see a repeat of the 2021 sell out times if not worse as I would guess more people feel comfortable now being in larger groups than they would have back then.

Second biggest factor to me is the impact the virtual route will have. I know there are always some who sign up because they just want the medal (in some cases to sell) and don't really plan to run. It's a small % I would expect, but adding in those nervous about being able to complete the races within the pacing requirements I wonder if it will also have a big impact. Would love to see a breakdown for other large races offering in-person and virtual options as a potential indicator.

The main issue with RD registration is that your registration is not "held" in your basket for any amount of time while you are busy filling in details/payment etc. So things can definitely sell out for even one person, let alone six.

Also, and I can't recall since I have only registered more than one person once, while you do have the ability register multiple people in one session, I thought the process went more like this: "Register #1 (select race, enter details)--complete the transaction (pay), Register #2--complete the transaction, etc" rather than "Register #1, Register #2, etc AND THEN complete the transaction". Method 1 at least has the potential of getting some races, vs Method #2 which could be all or none.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter