News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty meh about the Rise of Skywalker clip.

Now that I have the Mandalorian, I haven't even really given Skywalker a second thought. People might say that these new 3 aren't really for me, they're for a new generation. I believe that wholeheartedly. Just wish the original characters didn't have to go down with the ship to create new ones.

I kind of had to laugh at the conclusion of the 9 movie sequence. The first 6 feel like an ongoing saga. These last 2 so far have just been a 'how can we ruin your heroes from the original 6 kind of thing'. I wonder what they'll have Lando do. Maybe he'll end up murdering Chewie.

Now that I have the Mandalorian, I haven't even really given Skywalker a second thought. People might say that these new 3 aren't really for me, they're for a new generation. I believe that wholeheartedly. Just wish the original characters didn't have to go down with the ship to create new ones.

I kind of had to laugh at the conclusion of the 9 movie sequence. The first 6 feel like an ongoing saga. These last 2 so far have just been a 'how can we ruin your heroes from the original 6 kind of thing'. I wonder what they'll have Lando do. Maybe he'll end up murdering Chewie.

I get what you are saying - and obviously everyone has different experiences and comes at it from a different place, etc

I do agree that saying this is the last of a 9 movie arc isn't really 100% accurate ... to me there was a 3 part arc (episodes IV-VI) and then a 3-part background series and now this 3-part spinning it forward series that are related but are almost more of a spinoff. Not a side story the same way Rebels is or something, but a spin-off

and I also don't feel the "ruin your heroes" but I know that is something somepeople feel and other don't and you can't change either side's minds

I get what you are saying - and obviously everyone has different experiences and comes at it from a different place, etc

I do agree that saying this is the last of a 9 movie arc isn't really 100% accurate ... to me there was a 3 part arc (episodes IV-VI) and then a 3-part background series and now this 3-part spinning it forward series that are related but are almost more of a spinoff. Not a side story the same way Rebels is or something, but a spin-off

and I also don't feel the "ruin your heroes" but I know that is something somepeople feel and other don't and you can't change either side's minds
I’m with you. It’s certainly a culmination of 42 years of work but it’s not all intertwined like say the Marvel arc was. Yes all 9 movies are connected but I think it’s hated because it was more spread out and you had the originals then prequels and now the final trilogy.

I also don’t feel they have ruined the heroes of the original either.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't mind the new characters. I hate what they've done with the old ones. Just a butchery as far as I'm concerned. This 3 arc set can't finish fast enough for me.

Just on this sentence - I don't think they ruined them, but I certainly don't think these characters were given the respect they deserved in their final stories. Particularly the horrible story-line for Luke. And Han deserved a more heroic end to his life.

Last edited:

Yeah, I kind of feel like the whole 'conclusion to the 9 part movie sequence' was squeezed in there to garner more hype.

I’m with you. It’s certainly a culmination of 42 years of work but it’s not all intertwined like say the Marvel arc was. Yes all 9 movies are connected but I think it’s hated because it was more spread out and you had the originals then prequels and now the final trilogy.

We'll just have to pleasantly agree to disagree. Luke was always my favorite and I don't agree with or appreciate where his character went in the new movie.

Just on this sentence - I don't think they ruined them, but I certainly don't think these characters were given the respect they deserved in their final stories. Particularly the horrible story-line for Luke. And Han deserved a more heroic end to his life.

well, we don't know the final ending for Luke or Leia ... as for Han, I understand part of it was Harrison Ford didn't want to do 3 movies and reluctantly came back to do one, and he thought he had a good storyline in that one

personally, while I would have tweaked a few things, I like (in large part) Luke's storyline so far - but I know that is something that not everyone agrees on

Ehhh...the domestic performance is kind of underwhelming considering the property but overseas really covered for that.

They wait too long for these sequels. My older 3 were frozen obsessed 5 years ago. Now they’re a little interested but see it as something for younger kids.

They wait too long for these sequels. My older 3 were frozen obsessed 5 years ago. Now they’re a little interested but see it as something for younger kids.

They were not expecting for Frozen to become a phenomenon. The film was in different stages of development hell for decades going back to Walt Disney himself. Realistically, they were probably hoping for it to do 400-500 million, not 1.2 billion.

For a 3D animated Disney Musical, I think that they went as fast as they possibly could. It takes time to get a film on the schedule since they plan many years out. There was also some turmoil with the whole Lassester situation and Jennifer Lee having to take over as head of Disney Animation Studios in addition to her duties as Director of Frozen 2.

If they’re interested, I think that they will enjoy it. The film does recognize that their core audience is older now and I personally enjoyed it. I think it’s also just interesting since it’s arguably the start of the Jennifer Lee era at Disney Animation Studios.

Sequels are more just trying to catch the next wave of young kids with a proven property -- rather than take a gamble on something new again.

They did have two very good Frozen shorts in the interim .. I consider those pretty quality Frozen animation despite the short length.

But I get it .. my son was totally into Frozen 5 years ago .. we took him to see the Frozen Sing-Along show (when it was in the backlot area of DHS) when he was 2 . .we sang the songs down on future Disney trips .. we enjoyed the Frozen Summer parade in 2015. He is now 7 .. and still interested in seeing this, but his 3 yo SISTER is the fanatic now.

So .. just a timing thing really. I think we (adults) would be burned out on Frozen if they pumped this sequel out 3 years ago...

The trade-off is that they aged up the story for the sequel, so that (for instance) my kids who were practically babies when they saw the first one can now appreciate a bigger more complex story this time around. And this one even goes so far as to poke fun at the original in some very funny scenes, which should help soften up some of the too-cool older kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter