News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be ready to wait for Astro Orbiter! With only one party per elevator up and down, that line is taking FOREVER right now.
1 party per elevator? Put up some plexiglass dividers!

It's "long line" is generally why we have avoided it in the past! LOL. It seems like my kids will get to experience the "good old days" of having to wait in line for EVERY ride. :)

Last edited:
Bummer -- I have to start figuring out the list of the "classic/casual" attractions the kids want to go on that will be closed in late January. This, the Liberty Belle, Tom Sawyer Island, and the Railroad. Time to hit some attractions we haven't hit ever (or in a long time) like Astro Orbiters, Hall of Presidents, Carousel, Aladdin, Winnie the Pooh.

Still can't believe my daughter may be like 5 or 6 before she can ride the rails at WDW (we had an opportunity when she was 2 back in November of 2018, but she never rode it that day (my father and I did via the tour)

But .. everything should be in tip-top shape come October!

I don't know the exact timing of thing, but might the Hall of Presidents be down by then as well?

I don't know the exact timing of thing, but might the Hall of Presidents be down by then as well?

Yeah, good point. I think they usually start on in pretty early on, but it could take a while - that's assuming they will stick to the current formula where the sitting President speaks at the end.

It's these little things that get me all the time. We don't go to WDW often, so we don't have the luxury of being able to memorize every piece of theming that can be found. This is the type of change I wouldn't notice directly but I would suddenly be bothered that something was different and I couldn't figure out what it was and whatever it was made that place seem a little less magical than before.

There's been a lot of these changes over the past 10 years, sometimes at resorts and sometimes at the parks.

Last edited:
Cant imagine it being another issue other than it looking like Elmo, and if that’s the case, I definitely understand them taking it down.
Could it be something as simple as just being taken back stage for some maintenance work?

I think it's okay when it's good natured - like the "chicken sandwich wars" that have been happening. They seem to jsut be having a little fun with each other. The thing is though that Disney doesn't play along, so Universal's jabs come off as a little one-sided.
Yup and I think Universal is more the playful company in the end. We kinda already had this talk a few weeks back. They poke fun at themselves, they poke fun at Disney. Disney is much more the straight forward company with their social media.

I don't know why it needs to even be a comparison between the two. I'm not asking Universal to be more like Disney and I'm not asking Disney to be more like Universal. They may be competitors but they don't have 100% the same target audience (Disney skews younger for example) and they shouldn't feel like they have to present in social media the same way. And TBH I think Universal knows Disney isn't going to play back and puts that vibe into their comments.

There's a police department where my alma mater is located at (which isn't far from me) that has gone viral for some of their posts. They approach their twitter with humor...and you know what? It works, with being a college town they are appealing to people a different way. Oh they are quite informational for sure. But they use a lot of humor too. On twitter they have over 178K followers.

A few months ago they posted this (to bring it back to Disney):

On mother's day they tweeted out "Your mom wouldn't want you to break the law today. Listen to your mom for mother's day"

A few years ago they were really frequent with their humorous posts but I think with the pandemic because they are a police department they've toned that down just a wee bit but they still do it.

My cat Walnut has an instagram and I have to tell you, cat people are nuts (myself included). There is an instagram called Cats in Food....oh my god. :rotfl:

Walnut has over 300 followers and I have 32. 😐
Quite true! We often remark with my mother-in-law all we have to do is get her back to looking at cat videos and following certain cats on FB...she stays out of trouble more when she does that :laughing:

I tried to go on Reddit once. I never felt so lost in a place that isn’t a physical location. It’s like trying to navigate through a city that only consists of one way streets.

Tik Tok is basically like Snapchat with longer videos, isn’t it?

Reddit can be a good source of information and in some ways isn't that different from what's here. I don't go on and see what's popular, I only go on and see what's going on in the "community's" I'm a part of. Like for run disney, or award travel and stuff like that. You can find communities for things that are a bit more niche, like for your model cell phone, and other random stuff. But if you just go on and look at the stuff that's popular, it's way scary.

Reddit can be a good source of information and in some ways isn't that different from what's here. I don't go on and see what's popular, I only go on and see what's going on in the "community's" I'm a part of. Like for run disney, or award travel and stuff like that. You can find communities for things that are a bit more niche, like for your model cell phone, and other random stuff. But if you just go on and look at the stuff that's popular, it's way scary.

Reddit's issue for me is subreddits become like a hive mind. I was a regular Redditor for a couple of years but it just really got weird after a while, didn't matter which community I was following, it happened in all of them. I don't miss it...

Reddit's issue for me is subreddits become like a hive mind. I was a regular Redditor for a couple of years but it just really got weird after a while, didn't matter which community I was following, it happened in all of them. I don't miss it...

I can see that. Most of what I follow has to do with credit card churning and award travel, so I'm looking for info and dp's. But the one is very strict, 3 threads a day, discussion, questions and whatever the question of that day is, each day has one and they automatically post each week. The downvotes though are nuts on it. But I rarely post.

if you have it in every park, every day that could be a nice thing - then you are spreading everyone that is staying at a resort out amongst the 4 parks so really should be relatively small group of people there in 30 mins early, so basically guarnateeing you get on at least 1 "e-ticket" with minimal wait, maybe then get in line for a 2nd prior to the gates opening to the general population ... almost would be equivalent to giving a bonus FP to those staying on property
Yeah, it'd really hurt rope dropping for off site guests, too.

Bummer -- I have to start figuring out the list of the "classic/casual" attractions the kids want to go on that will be closed in late January. This, the Liberty Belle, Tom Sawyer Island, and the Railroad. Time to hit some attractions we haven't hit ever (or in a long time) like Astro Orbiters, Hall of Presidents, Carousel, Aladdin, Winnie the Pooh.

Still can't believe my daughter may be like 5 or 6 before she can ride the rails at WDW (we had an opportunity when she was 2 back in November of 2018, but she never rode it that day (my father and I did via the tour)

But .. everything should be in tip-top shape come October!
HOP will likely be closed too for the change over.

Looks like they just removed the malfunctioning Donald animatronic

That's so sad. Left his hat there like a tribute to the fallen.

To me social media is;

Facebook: People overselling their lives to friends they had 20 years ago in high school. Basically a high school reunion, but every day.

Instagram; Same as Facebook, but with pictures

Twitter: A place to fight with strangers using opinions as facts.

To me they are:

Twitter: people trying to get noticed/re-tweeted by celebrities or trying to shame companies into giving them refunds

Instagram: posting pictures to make others jealous

Facebook: something I should really move on from but I remember the good old days when you had to have a university email from a college on the list.

TikTok: Vine that is somehow able to make money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter