Nikon D3000

I have a D3000 also we got back from an ABD in Alaska and I used a Tamron 18mm-270mm vr and found out it worked out great for me from landscape to zooming out to animals in the wildlife areas.Used it for some portrait shots also. Good Luck on your search

Hi everyone,
I posted this on the budget board, but it was recommended I post here instead...

Our oldest son has a Nikon D3000, and is asking for accessories for it for Christmas. I have no clue where to start (I still use a point and shoot camera), so if anyone has any recommendations at all, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

P.S. If it makes a difference...We live on an island, so many of his pictures are of nature and sunrise/sunset photos over the water.

He'll need a good tripod and a remote shutter release. A wide angle lens is nice too.

It all depends on what your budget is. You can buy a cheep $30 tripod that may last a few years or a real good semi-pro level for under $200 with a real sturdy tripod and good ball head that will last MANY MANY years or spend LOTS more on a carbon fibre super duper professional model.

Same for lenses. Prices very widely depending on what your looking for.

An extra battery is always nice to have, same for extra SD cards. An external hard drive is also a nice thing to have once you really start taking lots and lots and lots of pictures. Hard drives can fill up fast.

Trying to think of things to get for christmas. Is a monopod worth it? would you need one with a pan head or would an inexpensive one surfice?

Thanks

I have one and I love it. I have used velcro tape to attach it to a fence post or the like when I didn't have a tripod with me and got some longer exposures that way. But what I really love it for is video - great for keeping that camcorder steady!

I have a combo travel pod that converts to a monopod. I didn't find it as useful at WDW for still as for video. Its an invaluable tool for video. My travel pod uses a ballhead. Saying that, it is invaluable when I'm shooting sports with the heavier lenses.

Camera shake is a real killer. Often times to get the best shot you have to keep the camera raised for long periods of time, especially when taking pix of kids or covering other types of situations. Using a monpod keeps the camera always in the proper postion, ensuring that you will be instantly ready to get that great shot..... you know, the one that always seems to be there and gone in an instant.

Good luck
Marlton Mom

I don't use mine on any lens except my 150-500. Anything shorter than that and I don't find it necessary.

I don't think you'd want a pan head - if you need to turn, just turn the whole monopod.

I've got one but almost never use it. I probably should use it a little more than I do, but I usually just handhold or pull out the tripod. If your tripod isn't too heavy, you can extend just a single leg and get almost the same result. I've got a carbon fiber tripod and aluminum monopod so the weights are similar.

It depends on the monopod. Mine is less than 4 ounces and collapses/folds to about 13" so it is not any trouble to carry. As for stability, it is very stiff in the vertical direction (the greatest source of camera shake) and can make a remarkable difference in low lighting.

Here is a panorama of Candlelight Processional and a blow-up of one of the musicians, using a monopod at a slow shutter speed:

candlelight_panorama_500.jpg

candlelight_4990.jpg

Results from Beauty and the Beast and Tarzan shows are the same, a big difference in sharpness from using a monopod.

A monopod is really necessary with long focal length lenses in low light. Especially sporting events like football. I use mine all the time.

I rarely use mine, but when I do, it's invaluable. Mine is a monster to carry and would likely use it more if it was smaller. I still struggle on how to carry it with me into places like the zoo.

But yeah, they are great and I would recomend getting one that is as short as possible so you can stick it in your bag.

I also just got the ZipShot Tripod link. I'm interested to see how it performs, although, I wish it was a bit more versitle. If nothing else, my daughter finds much enjoyment using it and can distract her for 10-15 minutes at pop!

I find I am using mine more and more. Since I started shooting sports like ice hockey and football with my part time job and shooting with a 300mm 2.8 I find having a monopod makes life a lot easier and pictures much sharper than handheld. Recently I spent a 9 hour day shooting 4 football games and awards ceremonies in between games and could not have done it without the monopod.

We'll be at WDW in just over 2 weeks and I'm hoping to get some decent fireworks photos. I've read some of the great fireworks tips here, so I know that a tripod is a must. However, I only own a small 2-foot tripod. Do you have any recommendations about where I could possibly setup this "mini" tripod for a decent, unobstructed view of Wishes or Illuminations?

On a separate note, we have reservations at the California Grill one night, so we could return to watch the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary that evening. I'd be happy to hear any additional advice if anyone has any photo experience from up there.

Thanks!

Many of us have 5 foot tall tripods and have trouble finding an unobstructed view of Wishes!

Some have used the trash cans along Main Street with gorilla pods and done fine. The challenge of course its to find a place where someone cannot come along and stand in front of you. Because if they CAN, they most assuredly WILL.

You might want to look over by the Crystal Palace to see if there's a trash can or something you can put it on over there. There is a railing next to the stream and green area there. If you can get up next to the railing, then HOPEFULLY ho one will step in front of you at the last minute.

If you have time to stake out your spot well in advance, you might try the train station upstairs. These spots go very early though. And most of the time there is a flag pole in the middle of your view. There is a time over the next couple of weeks though that the flag pole will be down for taping of the Christmas parade the first weekend in December. I'm half tempted to do my next trip that week just for the unobstructed photo op! :lmao:

With a tripod that small, you'll definitely need something to put it on. Look around while you are wandering through the hub and find a few good candidates spots like trash cans. Get there really early and claim your spot. Have everyone else in your group stand directly in front of your spot, but not clumped too tightly. Once the show starts, have them open a little space for you to shoot. Let them know that, while it is OK for them to enjoy the show, their primary role is to reserve your field of view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter