no more regular MBs??

I've read this entire thread but just to be clear- if our new MagicBand+ are out of charge at the end of the day they will still be able to open our room doors, is that right?
My understanding is that if your MB is 100% out of charge then no, it would not open your room door. You would need to use the MDE app on your phone to open your room door.
The bateries in Magicbands are only neded for the long rage part of the magic band, things like receiving photos from rides and playing with the satues using magic band +. For things like taping into the patks and for fastpas and opening doors they get power from the device that you are tapping onto.

That would make no sense at all because if someone was locked out of their room and couldn't use their phone which is much more common to not work then they would have to go and get a key card from the front desk. I see no reason why they wouldn't function the same as the first versions of them in that case.

I haven't used one yet but like I said before it would be really dumb of Disney to make it so it has to be charged for everything, especially when they only come partially charged.

I think you might have gotten wrong information about that because as i said it would very inconvenient for the guests if that was the case.
None of what you're replying to the posts you're quoting and contradicting is factual information or based on your own use. You're giving opinions about how it "would make no sense" or "be really dumb", but you have no history of trying the MagicBand+.
@scrappinginontario consistently provides well researched, factual information on the boards so I'm going to put my faith in her answer at least until someone with actual experience with the MagicBand+ reports in.

None of what you're replying to the posts you're quoting and contradicting is factual information or based on your own use. You're giving opinions about how it "would make no sense" or "be really dumb", but you have no history of trying the MagicBand+.
@scrappinginontario consistently provides well researched, factual information on the boards so I'm going to put my faith in her answer at least until someone with actual experience with the MagicBand+ reports in.
https://wdwnt.com/2022/07/magicband...cBand+ dies, it,Lightning Lane and DAS access.

The information that @scrappinginontario gave had no context to it at all and according to the above article was wrong. So before you say I'm wrong please do some research about it before you say someone is wrong just because you think a mod is correct.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/07/magicband-battery-dying-walt-disney-world/#:~:text=If the MagicBand+ dies, it,Lightning Lane and DAS access.

The information that @scrappinginontario gave had no context to it at all and according to the above article was wrong. So before you say I'm wrong please do some research about it before you say someone is wrong just because you think a mod is correct.
The 😡 that you gave me made me chuckle. It's really not that serious and I apologize for making you emotional.
I will definitely do my own research, as you suggest.

If a MB+ is not charged, it acts just like a MB2. So yes, it can open a resort room door. This is on the Disney website.

View attachment 754556

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/charging/#:~:text=Certain MagicBand+ functionality and features,battery is not adequately charged.
Super helpful. Thanks :)

Edited to Add: The sad thing is, I never knew that the original MagicBand and the MagicBand 2 were good for those functions indefinitely. I had always heard that they were good for 2-3 years tops. We moved while the parks were closed and no one was traveling. I threw away several dozen. We had multiples of every color from the freebies we got with resort reservations and also some limited edition bands that we purchased. I would love to have those now, especially the originals. They were so much more comfortable and streamlined on the wrist.

Last edited:
The 😡 that you gave me made me chuckle. It's really not that serious and I apologize for making you emotional.
I will definitely do my own research, as you suggest.
I'm sorry that I gave you the mad image but I wanted to express a dislike for your post calling me wrong when I was posting correct infomatin when others where posting incoret infomation. Just besie someoe is a mod on a messege baord doesn't mean they are always right all of the time, they can make misates just like veryone else.

I'm sorry that I gave you the mad image but I wanted to express a dislike for your post calling me wrong when I was posting correct infomatin when others where posting incoret infomation. Just besie someoe is a mod on a messege baord doesn't mean they are always right all of the time, they can make misates just like veryone else.
Apology accepted.

OP is asking about MB+ which requires regular/daily charging to function. My understanding is that it works like any other chargeable electronic. When it is 100% out of charge it is nothing but jewelry.

Have you tried to access your room with a MB+ that is completely depleted of charge? I will say I don’t have a MB+ so have not tried this, only responding based on what has been shared on the boards.

What you shared above is correct for MB and MB2 but I understood MB+ behaves differently.
This morning I was weighing out the differences and pros/cons of MB/MB2 and MB+.

My understanding is the MB+ does open room doors and has the ability to tap in at the parks even if not charged. In that respect, I *think* it works like an older MB that doesn't fully work anymore (e.g. no long-range features like ride pics and for MB+ the new lighting/vibrating features won't work).

I thought I read it on Disney's site somewhere, but not sure where now. I did just find a post where Disney Food Blog reports MB+ does work as a regular MB when not charged.
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/12/14/the-important-secret-about-your-magicband/#:~:text=This is NOT the case!&text=Your MagicBand+ will actually function,lights and haptics require charging.

Edited for clarity :)

After reading further I found out my answer was incorrect and I removed it. I normally research before answering but this time made an error and trusted what other posters had posted in the past. My error and lesson learned.

Thanks for having faith. I was reminded tonight to do my own research.
https://wdwnt.com/2022/07/magicband-battery-dying-walt-disney-world/#:~:text=If the MagicBand+ dies, it,Lightning Lane and DAS access.

Thanks for the correction. I have removed my incorrect information so not to add confusion to others.

Everyone makes mistakes. Tonight it was me.

You are correct. The discounted bands are available to guests who have booked a resort and ticket package with Disney.

A MB is nice to have but not necessary. If you prefer not to purchase MBs you will be issued a card the first time you enter a park and use that for access to LL lines and the parks. We were at Disneyland last summer and had cards snd they were very easy to use.

Our family won’t be purchasing MB+ until they come out with a version that links more easily and has better battery life. We will be using our old bands until then.
Any resort booking (even a room-only) will allow you to purchase discounted MagicBands. It doesn't have to be a package.

Any resort booking (even a room-only) will allow you to purchase discounted MagicBands. It doesn't have to be a package.
Thank you but OP is not booked at a Disney resort, they are booked at the Dolphin which is a Marriott chain hotel. Those resorts do not qualify for the discounted MB purchases.

I understand a room only reservation will qualify as I have done that many times but it must be an actual Disney resort, not a Disney affiliated resort.

I do think the old bands are phasing out. My parents who are very behind in tech and still use the old original bands are considering updating to a MB+. They haven't committed, but they're considering. Its only a matter of time before there's no other choice.

On buying a band for a little kid... My son just turned 3 and we let him choose which MB+ design he wanted and he's super excited to wear his band. I don't understand the hesitation/aversion to buying one for little kids.
If you get him a MagicBand+ (the newer ones that light up), you may want to buy a slider for it. For some reason, the newer bands don't "clasp" as well and tend to fall off. I think the bands are fun for kids (adults, too)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter