no more regular MBs??

scorpioears

Earning My Ears
I'm sure this was already asked in this thread but I can't search 16 pages

We are going to Disney in August and I checked back in October just to browse bands and the plain basic ones were $10 Now is see the plain colored ones are $25 and they're all MB+
What the hell... so are they done with regular $10 ones?
Ugh I have two little boys age 3 and 5 i seriously have to spend $25 on bands for them?

They have regular ones, they just aren't as plentiful. My guess is they will eventually phase them out but right now, you still can buy them.

Online options ebb and flow - occasionally, they have a good selection available and sometimes nothing available. You can find them on property at all gift shops (usually at the bottom of the rack, under all the + bands).

What is the point of the + magic bands anyway? Seems like a gimmick to just charge you a bunch more money. Am I missing something? There is supposed to be these interactions with the statues around the parks, but I see most people walk up, flailing their hands and arms for nothing, then they walking away in disgust. I have even been one of those people. Every once and a while the thing will vibrate and flash and it makes me look around to what I should be seeing, again nothing. Then you also have to remember to charge them.

What is the point of the + magic bands anyway?
You do need the + version (vs the regular one) for California - and likely will need the + version if they add them to the ships (happening on Wish now). Plain colored bands are cheaper - you can buy colored bands (no puck) on Ebay. Personally, I like it for quick entry using Genie+ but would not have bought if needed for a whole family since I find the other functions not that big of a deal. I don't even wear it on my wrist (too bulky and no clock function - my pet peeve), have it on my backpack with an adapter I bought (more $ - sad face) on Etsy.

Last edited:
They have regular ones, they just aren't as plentiful. My guess is they will eventually phase them out but right now, you still can buy them.

Online options ebb and flow - occasionally, they have a good selection available and sometimes nothing available. You can find them on property at all gift shops (usually at the bottom of the rack, under all the + bands).
so i can buy from another seller? what is ebb and flow? A website?

Thanks for the info!!

Yeah I just had to buy one off ebay for my 4 year old granddaughter. Everyone else in the family has bands from previous trips but this will be her first trip since she was 2. I was not about to buy a + band for her so bought one off ebay. More than I would have like to spend, but less than the + bands.

Yeah I just had to buy one off ebay for my 4 year old granddaughter. Everyone else in the family has bands from previous trips but this will be her first trip since she was 2. I was not about to buy a + band for her so bought one off ebay. More than I would have like to spend, but less than the + bands.
yea i may have to look there, we have bands but they're old form 2015 dont think they'll work.
i hear its easier for a kid to have one too because they can just scan their self in without me having to pull out my cell every minute. so many things to pay for though ugh!

I'd not heard you could buy a "used" one with a puck (the electronic center part) on Ebay - I was only referring to buying a plain one at the Park, then switching the plain band for a fancy printed band you bought on Ebay, using an eyeglass screwdriver to switch the bands. Make sure a used one can be "linked" to a new person before you buy one?

I'd not heard you could buy a "used" one with a puck (the electronic center part) on Ebay - I was only referring to buying a plain one at the Park, then switching the plain band for a fancy printed band you bought on Ebay, using an eyeglass screwdriver to switch the bands. Make sure a used one can be "linked" to a new person before you buy one?
gotcha!! i haven't been to Disney since 2015 a lot has changed, im trying to figure it all out lol

yea i may have to look there, we have bands but they're old form 2015 dont think they'll work.
i hear its easier for a kid to have one too because they can just scan their self in without me having to pull out my cell every minute. so many things to pay for though ugh!
The bands from 2015 should work for entering the parks (ticket functions) and opening hotel room doors, that chip doesn't "expire". They will not work for the photo options or the special functions that some attractions have - like displaying your name on the posters in the Everest queue or at the end of Small World. If you are not using or buying photopass, it may not matter if you use your old bands.

Honestly, the old bands are becoming less useable - IF buying a new one, I'd pay the difference for the + band since it already has many more places it can be used and is not likely to be obsolete as soon.

Last edited:
The bands from 2015 should work for entering the parks (ticket functions) and opening hotel room doors, that chip doesn't "expire". They will not work for the photo options or the special functions that some attractions have - like displaying your name on the posters in the Everest queue or at the end of Small World. If you are not using or buying photopass, it may not matter if you use your old bands.
you don't think my 2015 bands will have a dead battery?

I want to replace my expensive WDW50 th Anniversary and could not find a basic 100 Year Celebration that was not +.
I will continue looking for basic and check back .

Last edited:
Old ones will work for rfid readers like LL entry. If the batteries have worn down they won’t trigger things like the photo pass. But you really only need one of those per group.

Even old MBs work for the tap functions, even if the battery is dead. When you tap, the tap reader supplies the energy to read your unique code in the band. So tapping to get into the park, your onsite room, payment (if you set up credit card with your booking), rides and also photopass photographers. The most common issue is not getting the ride photo if the battery is weak/dead.

MB+ is not great for young children due to the new design. It’s bigger, clunkier and more prone to falling off. As an adult with small wrists these gave me trouble. Lost mine within hours of first use yet never lost any MB in the dozen trips before that. The top has a larger rigid face. It sticks out an inch wider than my wrist and does not fully conform. Older MBs “fit like a glove” with no gaps and were very comfortable no matter how long I wore them. Even though the new one is bigger, somehow it digs into my skin leaving a sweaty imprint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter