Nostalgia Thread: How Has Disney Cruise Line Changed?

Miss ...
...the specific age groupings in the kid clubs
...Animators Pallette Black/white to color show
...buffet lunch in MDR
...live music by the pool during the day
...cast members with LOTS of pins on their lanyards for trading
...Shirley’s baskets!

Miss ...
...the specific age groupings in the kid clubs
...Animators Pallette Black/white to color show
...buffet lunch in MDR
...live music by the pool during the day
...cast members with LOTS of pins on their lanyards for trading
...Shirley’s baskets!

I never did a Shirley's basket, but wish I had while we could. :o LOVED the embarkation buffet in Parrot Cay!

They still do galley tours. You just have to ask once onboard whether they are going to do on on your cruise. Not all cruises will have them. If there's enough interest they will typically schedule one. Usually only on longer cruises (7 nights or more).
I asked about a galley tour on a recent sailing and Guest Services said they don't do them for security reasons.

I asked about a galley tour on a recent sailing and Guest Services said they don't do them for security reasons.
As I said, they don't always do them. Generally, it depends on the Captain and the chef whether they will do them on any given cruise.

How long was your cruise?

As I said, they don't always do them. Generally, it depends on the Captain and the chef whether they will do them on any given cruise.

How long was your cruise?
Good to know that they're not gone completely (I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't offered). If only they'd bring back the bridge tour. That I'd even pay for!

Now that one's probably not going to happen. That would actually be more of a security risk than the galley.
No doubt, although RC does offer a bridge tour on some sailings. I think there's even a paid tour that takes you to the bridge, galley, the laundry facility, storage rooms, etc.

No doubt, although RC does offer a bridge tour on some sailings. I think there's even a paid tour that takes you to the bridge, galley, the laundry facility, storage rooms, etc.
Oh, I know. Holland America as well as Carnival and Princess offer behind the scenes tours that include the bridge (for a pretty good cost). But I can understand the "for security reasons" excuse for not offering them.

Never heard of this, can anyone explain!?
There was a woman named Shirley that had a business of making baskets (you know, the kind with "stuff" in them) that you could order and she would deliver them to the ship, to be in your (or someone else's) room when you boarded. They would have things that would be useful on your cruise (sand toys, sun hats, whatever the theme fo the basket was you wanted to buy). A number of years ago, DCL changed their policy about allowing private deliveries to the ship, so that, basically, ended things.

Look up The Perfect Gift (florist) in Cape Canaveral. They're still around.

Pre 9-11 bridge tours for everyone who signed up
First DCL sponsored pin trading cruise with over 200+ pin traders and no place to trade so they set up their suitcases in the middle of the atrium on the floor
Shirley's baskets delivered to your cabin
We had a galley tour and a backstage tour on our last Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Galveston 10/23/15 to 11/6/15

Clayton in the tutu will NEVER be forgotten.

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

Leslie completely rocked her bikini. It was so so sooooo funny. We laughed until we cried!

I remember you used to be able to bring aboard unlimited amounts of wine. Our first cruise on Disney was memorable as we were able to bring a case of 1973 Chateau Margaux...

Not just wine. You could bring as much beer, wine and liquor you could carry. People were literally rolling in cases of alcoholic beverages on our 2 EBTAs. As long as it would fit through the security scanner and you could carry it on yourself.

Going all the way back - the theater show "The Voyage of Ghost Ship"; more recently Hercules.
The old Navigators that actually described events so you knew if you wanted to attend or not - and were a great addition to the scrapbook so you could remember what you saw and did.
Cabaret acts that you didn't mind seeing on multiple sailings. (Anyone remember "Pink Pajamas, Penguins on the Bottom"? Now John Charles is the only one we'll see every time we sail with him.)
Topsiders and Beach Blanket Buffet
Different Deck Parties (Tropicalifragilistic - not that it was great, just that Pirates night has been going on too long)
Speaking of Pirates - the Flying Dutchman at Castaway Cay
The bridge tours; heck I hated them at the time (only because it became the only Platinum "experience" they would offer) but I even miss the Platinum tour of the theater

Somethings have improved - remember having to go to the theater to get disembarkation information? (it didn't play on the tv over and over again.) wearing life jackets to the Muster drill? (although that was always a good photo op!)

To the PP who remembered the lanyards with the 2 pins, I had completely forgotten about that. If I'm remembering correctly, before that they used to give you one of Sailor Mickey (like the statue in the Magic atrium). But I'm sure I have several of the "traders" tucked away. At the time I thought they weren't worth much because just about everyone was getting 2, who would you trade with? Now it's been so long, there are probably a lot of people new to DCL who would love them -- ha, ha I can fund my next cruise (ok, not the whole cruise, one drink of the day on my next cruise! I'm rich!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter