Nostalgia Thread: How Has Disney Cruise Line Changed?

We also had a crew hide and seek (had to find the Sr, staff) one day on our EBPC years ago. Anyone know if they still do that?

We had officer hide & seek on ebta 2018.
We did not have If I Were Not Upon the Sea, and I was told it had been retired. I got the impression that the sensitive social climate has changed audience's perceptions of humor. I can agree from a performer's perspective that it's a tough time for comedy.

A couple people have said they miss the AP black&white to color show. But they still do that on the Magic. Is it not on the Wonder? The whole decor of the place is a bit pointless without that show.

I miss all the things mentioned in previous posts. I really enjoyed the Bridge Tour we took on the EBPC back in 2005. Here are some pics.

445450234uZECAA_ph.jpg 445450363kuVkjV_ph.jpg 445450372FRdORr_ph.jpg 445450897cJUTrP_ph.jpg 445450860yDkTIQ_ph.jpg 445450911mwZuyb_ph.jpg

Anyone remember Ian from Cruise Staff? He was a ball of energy!! They led the group out onto the catwalk and Ian spoke and then an officer spoke of all the things they do on the Bridge. It was really interesting. Sadly that whole catwalk area is no longer there as they expanded the Bridge area during one of the refurbishments.

MJ

As much as I like Tiana's Place and looking forward to seeing the new Tangled MDR I really miss Parrot Cay. I loved the Coconut Shrimp and the Jerk Chicken Wings and the whole décor with the Banana light fixture.

445425855XiXOHq_ph.jpg

I also miss the themed nights in the clubs....remember 80's night Battle of the Bands when the GoGo's competed against the Rock Band?? They pulled people off the dance floor and brought them backstage to transform into band members and then had to compete. It was so much fun!!!

445427852TBCsEG_ph.jpg 445427643sbQHfx_ph.jpg 445428224AxEhoH_ph.jpg

Anyone look familiar?????

MJ

Last edited:
I also miss the themed nights in the clubs....remember 80's night when the GoGo's competed against the Rock Band?? They pulled people off the dance floor and brought them backstage to transform into band members and then had to compete. It was so much fun!!!

I loved when they did that. They did it on our 2007 WBTA. What a fun time.

We also had a crew hide and seek (had to find the Sr, staff) one day on our EBPC years ago. Anyone know if they still do that?

We didn't have crew hide & seek on the WBTA last year, but we did have Walk the Plank (a number of officers ended up in the pool) and Lip Sync Battle performed for adults only one night.

Don't know when "years ago" was, but they did that on our EBTA in 2016.

Too fun!!! If they had that on any of my previous DCL cruises since '99, I must have missed it!

We did have an Officers Ball on the Wonder on one of the Hawaii sailings a few years ago. It was awesome!

We did not have If I Were Not Upon the Sea, and I was told it had been retired. I got the impression that the sensitive social climate has changed audience's perceptions of humor. I can agree from a performer's perspective that it's a tough time for comedy.

It has kind of gotten out of hand IMO.... the sensitive social climate I mean. :sad2:

As much as I like Tiana's Place and looking forward to seeing the new Tangled MDR I really miss Parrot Cay. I loved the Coconut Shrimp and the Jerk Chicken Wings and the whole décor with the Banana light fixture.

Awwww, your photo made me almost misty!!! How I miss Parrot Cay!!!

I also miss the themed nights in the clubs....remember 80's night Battle of the Bands when the GoGo's competed against the Rock Band?? They pulled people off the dance floor and brought them backstage to transform into band members and then had to compete. It was so much fun!!!

Yes!!! They used to have a 70's night too and I think a 60"s night?? It was a BLAST!!!! :love:

This is a great thread! I'm still super new to DCL but it sounds like a lot of you had it made back in the day. :hippie:

It's too bad they don't do bridge tours anymore (I've read that if you're concierge you can request one but it usually doesn't happen). A real shame they got rid of the dueling pianos.

Dropping picture frame mattes or pillowcases off at guest services in a Ziploc bag. We'd add a handful of colorful markers and some candy for their trouble, then on the last night, a great souvenir was returned to our room.

They don't do this anymore? We did this on out second cruise.

Speaking of Pirates - the Flying Dutchman at Castaway Cay

Somethings have improved - remember having to go to the theater to get disembarkation information? (it didn't play on the tv over and over again.) wearing life jackets to the Muster drill? (although that was always a good photo op!)

The pirate ship was neat while it lasted, that's for sure, and such a nice improvement about the life jackets!

They don't do this anymore? We did this on out second cruise.
it stopped I think end of 2016, early 2017.

Disney has reduced the number of house bands it carries on the ships, instead opting for a DJ or other approved music.
The crab races on Castaway Cay aren't there anymore.
The inclusion of medals for the 5k is a nice addition.
The arcade was great before people had one on their phone and iPad. The upcharge dining replacements are a nice addition in my opinion.

We did our first cruise in 2001. We went to the theater to sign up for port excursions, so much happier with how it's done now. We did an Alaskan cruise in 2014 and they had stopped letting people drop things off for autographs back then. We were on the Wonder earlier this year and they did the color change show in AP.

General:
Separate clubs for older children and younger children
More live interactive play, less electronic interactive play in the kids clubs
Formal wear for dinner

Specific:
Hercules (Wonder, 2005)
Mickey's Island Jam Breakfast at Parrot Cay (Magic, 2008)
Pirates of the Caribbean Treasure Hunt at Castaway Cay (Magic, 2008)

New (at the time) backup mechanics for the various systems onboard.
It was in response to the fire that stranded the Carnival Triumph back in 2013. I understand it really shook up the upper management. They could not allow the same type of thing to happen to a Disney ship. Basically, they added a big backup generator so that in the worst case, they would still have power to take care of the guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter