Nostalgia Thread: How Has Disney Cruise Line Changed?

This is a great thread! I'm still super new to DCL but it sounds like a lot of you had it made back in the day. :hippie:

It's too bad they don't do bridge tours anymore (I've read that if you're concierge you can request one but it usually doesn't happen). A real shame they got rid of the dueling pianos.
Agreed about dueling pianos. I never got to experience it but if it was half as good as Jellyrolls then I'm sure I would've had a blast!

Different Deck Parties (Tropicalifragilistic - not that it was great, just that Pirates night has been going on too long)
I agree that the whole pirates thing has been done to death BUT I sailed recently and I saw more guests than ever dressed up for Pirate's Night. I was really surprised how into it everyone is.

They took away that show on the Classics? Aw I loved how they would do that

Unless they've changed since Feb 2017, they DO still do the b&w to color show your first night in AP on the Classics.

Unless they've changed since Feb 2017, they DO still do the b&w to color show your first night in AP on the Classics.
Was the show the same as it's always been? I sure don't remember seeing it on our last Magic cruise. At least not the show I remember.

Was the show the same as it's always been? I sure don't remember seeing it on our last Magic cruise. At least not the show I remember.

I never saw it before the reimagining of the Magic.

But in Feb 2017, it started out B&W and the screens were simple line drawings. Then more color gradually came into the room and the drawings became more elaborate, and then at one point all the servers disappeared, then Sorcerer Mickey appeared and went through the room and color added in until everything was colorful and the servers came out and their vests were all colorful as well.

But in Feb 2017, it started out B&W and the screens were simple line drawings. Then more color gradually came into the room and the drawings became more elaborate, and then at one point all the servers disappeared, then Sorcerer Mickey appeared and went through the room and color added in until everything was colorful and the servers came out and their vests were all colorful as well.
Hmmm....maybe we didn't eat in AP that night. I just don't recall seeing that show for a really long time.

OK, everyone, I take that one back.

The show changed somewhat with the reimagining of the Magic, it’s still essentially the same though. Originally there weren’t quite as many video screens and a lot of the effects were achieved with scrims and backlighting. The servers changed from black and white to colored vests around dessert time. It’s always ended with Sorcerer Mickey and the fantasmic theme.

The show changed somewhat with the reimagining of the Magic, it’s still essentially the same though. Originally there weren’t quite as many video screens and a lot of the effects were achieved with scrims and backlighting. The servers changed from black and white to colored vests around dessert time. It’s always ended with Sorcerer Mickey and the fantasmic theme.

Gotcha. I do remember that Mickey came around dessert time - some people had theirs before the servers disappeared to reverse their vests, others got it after. But no one was seen with the colored vest until after Sorcerer Mickey appeared.

I had forgotten about the dueling pianos. Man, they were great! And I really miss the secret aft deck on deck 7. That was my favorite place on the ship.

Hercules!!!!

I remember the kids moving along holding onto a rope. I remember really clearly, in 2007, watching a group of preschoolers come down the hall. The last little girl on the rope was crying her eyes out, and the whole time saying "I'm coming too, I'm coming too."I don't know if she thought she was going to get left behind or what.

I also miss the themed nights in the clubs....remember 80's night Battle of the Bands when the GoGo's competed against the Rock Band?? They pulled people off the dance floor and brought them backstage to transform into band members and then had to compete. It was so much fun!!!

Anyone look familiar?????

MJ

They still do some of the fun themed music activities in the adult clubs, but nobody dresses up anymore. It must be at least four years since I've seen that. That makes me sad!

Joey Fatone used to live down the street from us when he was just a regular guy working at Universal. He always was very nice.

I agree that the whole pirates thing has been done to death BUT I sailed recently and I saw more guests than ever dressed up for Pirate's Night. I was really surprised how into it everyone is.

I still like the Pirates theme which is why I think they should bring back Voyage of the Ghost Ship....it would tie in so nicely. I remember when they had Tropical Night before they had Pirate Night. Everyone dressed up in their tropical and Hawaiian shirts!!!

MJ

I still like the Pirates theme which is why I think they should bring back Voyage of the Ghost Ship....it would tie in so nicely. I remember when they had Tropical Night before they had Pirate Night. Everyone dressed up in their tropical and Hawaiian shirts!!!

MJ
What is Voyage of the Ghost Ship?

The line-up in the terminal - before boarding numbers:
Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get in-line. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.

I miss the midnight dessert buffet and the pirate buffet on deck for pirate night. Used to have a lot more snacks sitting out including cookies outside the adult clubs. Miss the Castaway Club reception and galley tours. And Hercules the Muse-ical.

The line-up in the terminal - before boarding numbers:
Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get in-line. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.

I remember that!!! They used to have some stanchions set up and people would just start the line. Somehow it did seem more orderly than everyone hovering near the entrance like they do now!!! PSA...please don't crowd the entrance until you number is called.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter