November 2020 W.I.S.H. Thread - The Beginning of a New Adventure

Hi everyone. I have been off of work since Friday and just been taking it easy. We did pass out candy on Halloween. I had about 20ish bags made up but DH thought that was not enough. Now we don't normally get a lot of kids. DH picked up more candy. We had enough for about 60 kids. We only got 9. We have so much candy in this house right now. We all have been eating so much candy. I need to get it out of my house.

Things are going good here. We ran round all of Saturday and dropped off some baked goods and homemade beer that DH makes to family. DH likes to brew beer but since we are not having parties he cant get ride of it to brew more. So this was the solution. It was nice to see family. We didn't go in the houses and didn't stay long but got to chit chat for a few minutes. It was nice to see everyone. We did talk to my bother the longest since he was telling us all about him being positive for Covid 19 (he was out of isolation by like 2 weeks when we saw him).

Beautiful fall weather here. Went for a long walk and then sat on the deck and read. Dinner is leftovers so having a quiet moment by the fireplace right now.
Tomorrow I will stay over at my daughter’s so I can help out Friday. School is very low key on Fridays-mostly make up work or retesting so we should be finished by lunchtime. It’s supposed to be nice so maybe we’ll picnic somewhere and do something outside.

Good Morning, and Happy Wednesday! (Staying away from politics, of course, per DIS rules) what are you celebrating today?

View attachment 536536 <--- This did NOT happen!

But I am celebrating my new water heater!! It was put in yesterday, and my shower was lovely and warm this morning. :cloud9:

I'm also celebrating my cat, Abby:cat: - because it was down to her that I found the leak in the first place! She often asks to go exploring in the basement tool room, but isn't allowed in there by herself. She wanted in on Monday, and I and consented to go in there with her...and found some water along the wall behind the heater. I was able to shut off the valve before any damage was done to items stored in that room, and put a call right in.

Which brings me to my third woohoo - that DH has a Lodge buddy who is a plumber, and could get to us right away! I only had to go one day without hot water, which I know was very lucky!
Love this story! You’re right, it could have easily been a disaster.

3 strangers I'm thankful for:

the election workers who gave/are still giving so much of their time to make our system work

the grocery store buyers, who search tirelessly for products to stock the shelves for us during times of limited supplies

the traffic cops who stand outside in all weather to keep things safe around the construction that I pass every morning (which I not exactly thankful for :rotfl:)

2 comfort items thankful for:

a blanket with images of my hometown, that my uncle gave me after I had moved away

my favorite cuddly sweatshirt, that DH brought home for me from a work trip

1 piece of technology I'm thankful for:

iPhones - because through a combination of Facetime & texting photos, I was able to help my college DS study last night for today's math test. The ability to send photos instantly has really opened up so many opportunities for sharing!

Ditto on the election workers that worked and continue to work to keep our democracy working!

Our postal workers. Sure, there’s occasional issues but I can send a Halloween card to my great nieces across the the country in three days.

The journalists that protect us and democracy by holding the powerful accountable.

My fireplace is a great comfort on cold days. I’m curled up in front of it right now.

My grandmother’s silver. I love using it because it brings back memories. Now that I’m retired I use it more often because I don’t mind polishing it!

Love my iPhone! Just FaceTimed with my sister. Usually have a conversation going with my friends-love checking my phone and finding I have 20 messages to read. I do everything but read books on it.

Strangers:
Poll workers have been covered, so I'll add the government officials who are running the elections.
Grocery store workers who have been on the front-line these past eight months.
All of you Teachers who are working so hard!

Comfort:
Last year I got a portable oil based radiator and I absolutely love it! The house is usually cold and drafty during the fall/winter, but it keeps the living room toasty and warm.

I have about five different quilts that I swap in/out on a regular basis... nothing super fancy (or handmade), but I love the weight they have and the way they disperse my body heat.

Technology:
While it is true that my iPhone is always with me and I'm constantly using it, I'm going to go with my car... old technology for sure, but more than anything I think it has kept me sane this year. I know I could adjust without my phone, but being without my car and the ability it gives me to safely move around I would really struggle.

View attachment 536869

Happy Free-for-all-Friday, everyone! What's on your mind?

I am having my usual adjustment to the time change as well. I think I was awake until 1:00 and then awake at 5:30 (which is way too early for this retired person!).
Will be hanging out with my grandson until 3:30 so hope to get a walk in after we have lunch. Hope to talk him into Subway instead of McDonalds. It is just beautiful outside-have to enjoy these days because I know the cold and dreary weather will be here soon.

Happy Friday, everyone!

We're on our third day of wet windy weather, but it is supposed to settle down over the weekend. I've made progress prepping the house for the holidays, and will finish up over the weekend.

I have a ticket to go to a holiday makers market tomorrow up on Whidbey Island, but I've decided not to go... it just feels like I'd be extending my circle of contact significantly and this just isn't the time to do that. I do want to figure out what to get my Niece and get that gift shopping wrapped up.

Other than that over the weekend I'll also be working on cleaning/re-organizing the office/bedroom (again), as I've finally ordered myself a proper work desk which should come sometime next week. Woohoo...

I used the wellness bingo from here and had our school staff play it yesterday. Got a lot of comments about how they liked the reminder to take care of themselves. About a third of them got bingo and two got blackout! They were rocking the self care. Now, what to do about the other two thirds?! Hmmmm My principal was in the office yesterday and I overheard a couple of meetings. Boy are those teachers stressed! So today I did some googling and think I'll send out a quick three part question I found along the lines of--what energizes you, what calms you, what helps you know you'll get through this.

This has not been a stellar week for eating. It was almost a stellar week for yoga. Twin2 woke us all up at 2:30 this morning and I never really got back to sleep. No yoga for me today, but otherwise I did it every day. Tomorrow is weigh in and I'm not looking forward to it. But tomorrow is also our anniversary and we are taking the twins to grandparents' and getting out of town for a night! We're planning to do lots of walking, so it'll be good. Can't wait!

Good morning, and happy Social Saturday!

I think we've shared our Enneagram scores, so how about MBTI?
What's yours if you know it, or which Disney woman do you identify with?

I did it years ago in a seminar at work, and am an ISTJ. I'm pretty happy with Mulan as the pick here.

It’s a lovely fall day...70 degrees and sunny. The colorful trees against the sky blue backdrop is quite a beautiful sight.

DD and I went to a park earlier today after running errands, sat in the car near the brook, and had a serious talk. She really needed a break from her mansplaining father.

While we were talking, a life-changing event occurred, and suddenly the petty disagreement they had this morning no longer mattered.

We felt as if the weight of the world was lifted from our shoulders.

I can breathe again.

I used the wellness bingo from here and had our school staff play it yesterday. Got a lot of comments about how they liked the reminder to take care of themselves. About a third of them got bingo and two got blackout! They were rocking the self care. Now, what to do about the other two thirds?! Hmmmm My principal was in the office yesterday and I overheard a couple of meetings. Boy are those teachers stressed! So today I did some googling and think I'll send out a quick three part question I found along the lines of--what energizes you, what calms you, what helps you know you'll get through this.

This has not been a stellar week for eating. It was almost a stellar week for yoga. Twin2 woke us all up at 2:30 this morning and I never really got back to sleep. No yoga for me today, but otherwise I did it every day. Tomorrow is weigh in and I'm not looking forward to it. But tomorrow is also our anniversary and we are taking the twins to grandparents' and getting out of town for a night! We're planning to do lots of walking, so it'll be good. Can't wait!
E6FC84F6-B5AD-4C88-BF87-B4A2CA6A8A15.jpeg
Happy anniversary! It sounds like a night away is just what you need! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter