• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

Aww, thanks 🥰

I’m doing ok. A little stir crazy because we’ve literally been stuck in our houses because of the terrible air quality, but it finally dropped out of the dangerous zone today!

YAY! So it's a double celebration for you guys this week. :woohoo:I was worried that you might have had to evacuate. :(

IF you need to get better masks against the smoke, hopefully you won't,
eusa_pray.gif
the news said the N95 masks will work as they filter out particles that small. Of course, we're all supposed to leave those for healthcare workers. However, the 3M company, makers of the U.S. N95 masks had put out a 3M Data Sheet months ago, saying the Chinese KN95 masks are acceptable equivalents as they also filter out particles the same size.

I have a couple N95 masks left over from working with some hazardous art materials a year ago, and I have bought the KN95 masks twice on eBay. They are thinner, but when I cut one apart, they are of the necessary layers to do the proper filtering. Even the American eBay sellers are getting their supplies from China. So they are NOT taking stock away from our U.S. healthcare workers. :thumbsup2

YAY! So it's a double celebration for you guys this week. :woohoo:I was worried that you might have had to evacuate. :(

IF you need to get better masks against the smoke, hopefully you won't,
eusa_pray.gif
the news said the N95 masks will work as they filter out particles that small. Of course, we're all supposed to leave those for healthcare workers. However, the 3M company, makers of the U.S. N95 masks had put out a 3M Data Sheet months ago, saying the Chinese KN95 masks are acceptable equivalents as they also filter out particles the same size.

I have a couple N95 masks left over from working with some hazardous art materials a year ago, and I have bought the KN95 masks twice on eBay. They are thinner, but when I cut one apart, they are of the necessary layers to do the proper filtering. Even the American eBay sellers are getting their supplies from China. So they are NOT taking stock away from our U.S. healthcare workers. :thumbsup2
We packed up for awhile because things were iffy but some of the predicted weather didn’t materialize and we remained safe. We still have go bags and a box of important stuff by the front door that will stay there through Nov. Unfortunately, it’s just something we do this time of year. 🥺

Yes N95s work for this! We have some left over from fires in previous years (this is year 4 for us). Because the package was opened we couldn’t give them to health care workers. Unfortunately they don’t fit the kids, but it’s good enough for me to run out if needed. Air quality is supposed to go back to unhealthy on Sat, so going to enjoy these next few days.

But more good news is my county is expected to drop from Purple to Red by the end of this month on our state’s tiered list. I’m happy we’re finally heading in the right direction. Ironically, they think the fires helped our numbers by keeping people inside their home, especially through the Labor Day weekend.

(I don’t want to hijack your thread, so I’ll delete this part if it starts to, but this is the CA tiered plan
https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

We packed up for awhile because things were iffy but some of the predicted weather didn’t materialize and we remained safe. We still have go bags and a box of important stuff by the front door that will stay there through Nov. Unfortunately, it’s just something we do this time of year. 🥺

Yes N95s work for this! We have some left over from fires in previous years (this is year 4 for us). Because the package was opened we couldn’t give them to health care workers. Unfortunately they don’t fit the kids, but it’s good enough for me to run out if needed. Air quality is supposed to go back to unhealthy on Sat, so going to enjoy these next few days.

There may be child size KN95 masks. :scratchin

I remember once that the hill above where I was living, in Topanga Canyon, was on fire. It was small and got controlled quickly. But, since I found a new guest house I wanted to move into, (NOT because of the fire,) I had to tell my landlady by that date. Not the best timing. :headache: :duck:

But more good news is my county is expected to drop from Purple to Red by the end of this month on our state’s tiered list. I’m happy we’re finally heading in the right direction. Ironically, they think the fires helped our numbers by keeping people inside their home, especially through the Labor Day weekend.

The Tiered system sounds great. :thumbsup2 It actually gives structure for people to look forward and to be able to expect things to happen in a systematize way. Especially as you've got two (or more) major things going on at once.

UPDATE for 9/22/2020 -9/28/2020:

5 states have been re-added: Arizona, Minnesota, Nevada, Rhode Island, and Wyoming.
Gah.gif

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 34 states & 2 U.S. territories.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The states are: (updated as of 9/22/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona (re-added 9/22/20)
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota (re-added 9/22/20)
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada (re-added 9/22/20)
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island (re-added 9/22/20)
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming (added 9/22/20)
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico

:teacher: Note: California, Hawaii, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada and Ohio were removed on 9/15/2020. :woohoo: Individuals already in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Also, some categories of essential workers who work in critical infrastructure fields are exempt. Check the state's official website for more specific info, as they are different for each state.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the 3 posts after the first post of this thread. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.
(The thread title will be updated too, so you know there are changes.)

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

Here is a FULL LIST of all states with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions by State by NBC News, which they will update weekly, but again, check the state's official website.

Last edited:

We are going from Wisconsin to CT, Oct. 15th and staying with our son for a week. We are doing the test, 72 hours before we leave and we have to have proof and fill out the CT form. Wisconsin is on the list, that I have from the Ct Travel Health Form we are filling out.

UPDATED LIST for 9/29/20 - 10/5/20:

Arizona and Virginia were removed 9/29/20. :teacher: Individuals already in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 32 states & 2 U.S. territories.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The states are: (updated as of 9/29/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico
Note: Arizona and Virginia were removed 9/29/20. :woohoo: Individuals already in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Also, some categories of essential workers who work in critical infrastructure fields are exempt. Check the state's official website for more specific info, as they are different for each state.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the 3 posts after the first post of this thread. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

List was released late this week.

UPDATED LIST for 10/6/20 - 10/12/20:

Only 1 state was re-added: New Mexico. :(

However, Fall is here, and COVID cases are on the rise, overall in 35 states, including NY, NJ and CT. And there are 9 hotspots in NY, which now have instituted some restrictions: non-essential businesses and schools are closed in those areas, and mass gatherings severly curtailed. Take proper COVID precautions wherever you are. Hotspot or not. NY, NJ, PA and DE now have COVID Alert apps which work in conjunction with each other. :thumbsup2 (More in next post.)

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 33 states & 2 U.S. territories.

The states are: (updated as of 10/6/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico (re-added 10/6/20)
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico

:teacher: Note: Arizona and Virginia were removed 9/29/20. :woohoo: Individuals already in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

However:

New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania now have COVID Alert apps which work in conjunction with each other to regionally alert you if you've been in contact with someone for 10 minutes or more, and have been possibly exposed to someone who later tests positive for COVID-19. :thumbsup2

These types of COVID apps have been proven to work really well in Asia to help identify when someone has been in contact with someone with COVID. Unfortunately, over there, the apps also tracked one's travels via their GPS, and took down their names, addresses and sometimes credit card info. :scared:

Here in the U.S. the 10 states which have created their own COVID Alert apps have done everything to insure one's privacy. The apps are totally anonymous and do not collect any personal info or location tracking. The U.S. apps here do NOT work via GPS. They work only using Bluetooth technology, where, when a phone with the app is in 6 ft of another phone with the same app, the phones' apps will communicate with each other. :wave2: <---> :wave2: They will exchange a randomized code. They will log if they've been in 6 ft proximity to each other for a crucial 10 minutes or more. (So, just casually passing by each other is not logged.)

Later, if one of the people tests positive for COVID, and gives his physician permission, another randomized code is given to the patient by the physician to enter into the app. The app then goes through it's log for the past 14 days and sends out an anonymous COVID alert to those other apps it's been in contact with for 10 minutes or more. (The app logs are erased every 14 days.)

If you get an alert, it will only tell you that you've been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and to quarantine, get tested, etc. It will NOT say who the person is or where the exposure happened, as that isn't logged. If you also turn out to be COVID positive, repeat by sending out a COVID Alert, via the app, once your physician gives you a randomized code to enter.

For more info, you can watch this VIDEO.

To download the app for your state:
(They ALL work with each of the other 3 states apps.
Links are for iPhone and Android)

COVID Alert NY

COVID Alert NJ

COVID Alert PA

COVID Alert DE

An app IS coming for CT soon. It will work with ALL of the ones above.

There are also 6 other states which also have a COVID Alert app. They currently do not work with these states apps. Hopefully they will someday. I'm not sure what the other states are. I *think* AZ, NV, and FL have Alert apps. If you know your state has one, let us know. :)

If you are traveling into one of these states, download the app, keep it on your phone for a full 2 weeks after your visit and then delete the app. Hopefully, it will never go off.

That reminds me, these apps only work as well as enough people download, use the app, and then anonymously alert others. Of course, the more that use it, the better it will work for us all.

Safe travels, everyone.
Praying1.gif

Last edited:
There are also 6 other states which also have a COVID Alert app. They currently do not work with these states apps. Hopefully they will someday. I'm not sure what the other states are. I *think* AZ, NV, and FL have Alert apps. If you know your state has one, let us know. :)

Virginia was the first state to have a COVID exposure notification app. They’ve had one since early August called COVIDWISE.

do you have to quarantine 14 days upon return if you get a rapid covid test?

Yes, onestill has to quarantine regardless of any COVID test result. The rule is the same in all 3 states. The only time one doesn't have to quarantine is if they are essential workers in certain critical infrastructure fields. Check posts 2-4 for your state for a link to the state's government website which specifically lists which jobs are considered essential workers.

A COVID test is only a snapshot of a single day. One can be exposed to COVID, take a COVID test and not have built up enough of a viral load that day to test positive. Then one, two, up to 14 days later, the virus has incubated enough that one is positive for COVID and infectious. This is why NY, NJ and CT do not allow a COVID test as a replacement for quarantining.

Some day, there may be enough rapid tests available, and cheap enough, (like home pregnancy tests,) that one could take a rapid COVID test every day, (or a couple as they aren't always accurate,) and know that day that one isn't positive and can go out for the day. Unfortunately, funding was never directed for tests to be made for this for the general public.

do you have to quarantine 14 days upon return if you get a rapid covid test?

Here is a visual chart from the NY Times, which shows how, after exposure to COVID, one can get a test some day before the first pink line, and the test may be negative. Then after the pink line, one has incubated and replicated enough COVID virus particles, called the viral load, that one becomes infectious. Notice the pink line starts a couple days before the wavy green line at the bottom, where one starts exhibiting symptoms, IF they do. (They could also be asymptomatic- not showing or feeling any symptoms.) So, one becomes infectious a couple days before symptoms. Symptoms aren't enough to know if one has COVID. And one or a few days of tests may not to be enough to know if one really has COVID, if tested too early.

charting-a-coronavirus-infection-promo-1601682548787-superJumbo-v2.png

Here is another chart, in a straight line. One gets a test during the incubation period, and there might not be enough COVID built up in the body yet, and they test negative that day.

The charts and more info is here:
The NY Times: Charting a Coronavirus Infection

I hadn't been keeping up with the list but noticed that the state dh's boss went to on vacation is on it. I was a little concerned because I'm not sure he is going to self quarantine when he comes back, but the truth is it doesn't matter, that state has 1/3 of the daily cases we have. He has more of a chance catching it here than there so it seems stupid to have them on the list when we can travel about our own state without self quarantining ourselves after.

UPDATED LIST for 10/13/20 - 10/20/20:

List came out really late today. I wonder if, they like me, were instead, out relishing every last bit of 60-70 degree temperature before it's gone. :ssst:

3 States have been re-added: Michigan, Ohio and Virginia. :(

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 36 states & 2 U.S. territories.

The states are: (updated as of 10/13/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan (re-added 10/13/20)
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio (re-added 10/13/20)
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia (re-added 10/13/20)
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico

However:

NEW:
New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania now have COVID Alert apps which work in conjunction with each other to regionally alert you if you've been in contact with someone for 10 minutes or more, and have been possibly exposed to someone who later tests positive for COVID-19. :thumbsup2 If you live in, or are traveling into one of these states, download the app, keep it on your phone for a full 2 weeks after your visit and then delete the app. Hopefully, it will never go off.

Download one HERE.

Thanks again for posting this.

I think it may have been late due to yesterday being a holiday in some areas of the country.

Thanks again for posting this.

I think it may have been late due to yesterday being a holiday in some areas of the country.

Oh, right! :idea: I was even thinking that where they get the updated 7-Day rolling average charts from, which I think is either/both Johns Hopkins University or Harvard.edu (which has a whole U.S. COVID map by all the COUNTIES! :faint: ) were late. But, then I was wondering why both of them would be late? :confused3 Makes total sense now. :thumbsup2

Good morning. Like many other U.S. states, California currently has no travel restrictions in place. That leaves a lot of travelers wondering about what precautions they should take after returning from a trip. It happens that I have been listening to planes come and go as I only live about 15 minutes from the airport.

Yes, onestill has to quarantine regardless of any COVID test result. The rule is the same in all 3 states. The only time one doesn't have to quarantine is if they are essential workers in certain critical infrastructure fields. Check posts 2-4 for your state for a link to the state's government website which specifically lists which jobs are considered essential workers.

A COVID test is only a snapshot of a single day. One can be exposed to COVID, take a COVID test and not have built up enough of a viral load that day to test positive. Then one, two, up to 14 days later, the virus has incubated enough that one is positive for COVID and infectious. This is why NY, NJ and CT do not allow a COVID test as a replacement for quarantining.

Some day, there may be enough rapid tests available, and cheap enough, (like home pregnancy tests,) that one could take a rapid COVID test every day, (or a couple as they aren't always accurate,) and know that day that one isn't positive and can go out for the day. Unfortunately, funding was never directed for tests to be made for this for the general public.

CT changed their rules recently (within the last month) and are now accepting a negative test within 72 hours of arrival in place of a 14 day quarantine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter