NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

FYI My daughter received a call the day after she returned home. The text messages didn't start until the day after that. It came up on caller ID as NYS Contact Tracing 518-387-9993

:headache:

Is she okay? Was this just a routine follow up call?

:headache:

Is she okay? Was this just a routine follow up call?
She was fine. I know a few people that have traveled out of state and needed to quarantine. The day after coming home they received a call to verify their information. Then for the next 13 days they received a text every day asking if they had symptoms. Then on the 14th day the contact tracer called again to follow up.

She was fine. I know a few people that have traveled out of state and needed to quarantine. The day after coming home they received a call to verify their information. Then for the next 13 days they received a text every day asking if they had symptoms. Then on the 14th day the contact tracer called again to follow up.

That's like being stuck in some Star Trek time/space anomaly. :teleport: "Hello, Mr. Contact Tracer. . . No, I've been back for 14 days already, and I did quarantine. . .No, it wasn't yesterday. It was fourteen days ago. . . I don't know why you were only given the questionaire today. . .Alright. . . Yes. . .Yes, I'll make sure I quarantine and speak to a contact tracer for my follow up at the end of it." :rolleyes2

Last edited:
I’m glad we are off but I wish this would have come last week it’s just my luck. I really wanted to spend the weekend moving my Dd in to Hofstra instead of being in an out in 24 hours

9/1/20:
2 states re-added: Alaska & Montana :(

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 33 states & U.S. territories.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The states are: (updated as of 9/1/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska (re-added 9/1/20)
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana (re-added 9/1/20)
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico
  • Virgin Islands

:teacher: Note: Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Maryland, and Montana were removed 8/25/20. :woohoo: Individuals in quarantine after traveling from a state that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the following 3 posts after the first post of this thread. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.
(The thread title will be updated too, so you know there are changes.)

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

Here is a FULL LIST of all states with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions by State by NBC News, which they will update weekly, but again, check the state's official website.

Last edited:
Map of impacted states (in red) on the NY/NJ/CT Travel Advisory for 9/1/20.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

Covid-19-Travel-Map016.png

Last edited:
I didn’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but in NJ essential employees in the critical infrastructure fields (healthcare, cops, firefighters) are exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

I didn’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but in NJ essential employees in the critical infrastructure fields (healthcare, cops, firefighters) are exempt from the 14 day quarantine.
And teachers now too. They have been declared essential workers.

And teachers now too. They have been declared essential workers.

Thanks! Any info to add, or that's missing, or needs to be updated is always welcome. :thumbsup2

I posted a link for NY essential workers in Post #2 as there are different kinds. But I didn't post one for NJ or CT. I'll have to look for those links. And I'll note it in the weekly updates that essential workers are exempt. :)

:teacher: An FYI: If you need to change your plans and your airline ticket, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and Alaska Airlines have eliminated the ticket change fees for SOME types of tickets. Make sure you check with the airline before booking, so you can get the right type of ticket that can be changed for free, if need be.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...-united-american-drop-change-fees/3447184001/

If you can't make it to NY, NJ, CT this week, or will be finishing up quarantining soon and will need to get out in nature, SOME public beaches in NJ and CT will remain open until either Sept 20-ish or the end of Sept, with lifeguards on duty and beach tags being sold. :beach:

In Long Island, NY, SOME beaches, parks, and public pools will remain open. :cloud9:

Be sure to Google and check to see if the beach you want to go to is one that will be open.

UPDATE: 9/8/20 - 9/14/20

Delaware, Maryland, Ohio & West Virginia have been added.

Puerto Rico & the U.S. Virgin Islands have been removed.

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 35 states & U.S. territories.

The states are: (updated as of 9/8/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware (re-added 9/8/20)
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland (re-added 9/8/20)
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio (added 9/8/20)
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia (added 9/8/20)
  • Guam

:teacher: Note: Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands were removed 9/8/20. :woohoo: Individuals in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Also, some categories of essential workers who work in critical infrastructure fields are exempt. Check the state's official website for more specific inf, as they are different for each state.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the 3 posts after the first post of this thread. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.
(The thread title will be updated too, so you know there are changes.)

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

Here is a FULL LIST of all states with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions by State by NBC News, which they will update weekly, but again, check the state's official website.

Last edited:
Update for the CONNECTICUT Travel Advisory Rules:

CT is now requiring a travelers form to fill out -> Travel Health Form.

Failure to self-quarantine or to complete the Travel Health Form may result in a civil penalty of $1,000 for each violation.

The CT Gov. is encouraging CT hotels & residents to report if they see quarantine violators. They are to call 211.

CT allows a COVID-19 test as a substitution for the 14 day quarantine in very limited circumstances:
  • Can travelers be tested for COVID-19 instead of self-quarantine? In general, no. The narrow exemption from the self-quarantine requirement applies only to travelers who satisfy the testing requirement and who travel to Connecticut to drop-off a child at school, to attend to a family member or a loved one whose physical or mental health or well-being is at risk, to attend to a family member or loved one’s medical procedure, or to assist with end of life care, to have an end of life visit, or to attend the funeral of a family member or loved one. These travelers are exempt from the self-quarantine requirement strictly for the limited purpose of attending to the event or circumstance that renders him or her unable to self-quarantine. Other than attending that event or circumstance, travelers from affected states are still required to self-quarantine for any portion of the fourteen (14) day period while in Connecticut. Any travelers unable to quarantine must still (1) get a negative test result for COVID-19 in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arriving in Connecticut and (2) provide written proof of such test result to the Commissioner of Public Health via email to DPH.COVID-Travel@ct.gov or via facsimile to 860-326-0529. If a test was obtained in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to travel but the result is still pending at the time of arrival in Connecticut, such traveler shall remain in self-quarantine in Connecticut until the test result is received and, if such test result is negative, the result is submitted to the Commissioner of Public Health. If the test result is positive and the traveler is asymptomatic, he or she shall self-isolate for ten (10) days from the date of the test; if symptomatic, he or she should seek medical assistance. Travelers who test positive for COVID-19 prior to traveling to Connecticut should delay such travel and consult with a medical professional. The traveler is required to complete the Travel Health Form.

• What tests are acceptable for the testing option? Nucleic acid tests such as reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests are the only acceptable testing option. Neither rapid antigen tests nor antibody tests for COVID-19 satisfy the testing requirement for the testing exemption."

For the latest CT travel advisory info & questions:
https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Travel

Last edited:
I had a feeling Maryland was going to go back on. Was just saying I need to visit my mom in NY - darn it.
Ps - thx for updating each week.
Yes. And I had plans to go up to NY this weekend.

Good thing we went yesterday to NY to take our college son out to dinner. :) Granted, we were in and out of Rochester in like 4 hours, so wouldn't have had to quarantine anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter