NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

We were hoping to go camping in DE and MD, beautiful places near the beach and we can't go waaaaaaaaaa. Bummer. Big fat bummer. It is what it is. Gotta do what we gotta do. Sigh. Thought DE would stay off and MD would come off soon uuuugh.

I was so hoping Maryland would be off by now😔 I’m coming to Hofstra on Friday to drop off DD stuff for college move in sadly I will not be able to help her set up her dorm room. I will be in an out in a 24 hr period I can’t do a 14 day quarantine.

re: Maryland
It looks like we're getting there, slowly but surely! We are at a 3.2% positive rate, fingers crossed we keep improving.
We were hoping to go camping in DE and MD, beautiful places near the beach and we can't go waaaaaaaaaa. Bummer. Big fat bummer. It is what it is. Gotta do what we gotta do. Sigh. Thought DE would stay off and MD would come off soon uuuugh.
I was so hoping Maryland would be off by now😔 I’m coming to Hofstra on Friday to drop off DD stuff for college move in sadly I will not be able to help her set up her dorm room. I will be in an out in a 24 hr period I can’t do a 14 day quarantine.

Just keep it up guys! Maryland is headed in the right direction. :yay: I know, it doesn't help when you have plans you have to do in a certain time range. :(

Poor Delaware. It probably feels like it's playing ping pong. :bored:

Whew. Left Delaware this morning before the list came out. We were waiting with baited breath last week to see if we had to cancel, but Delaware came off again last week. We were only there for the weekend, so we were okay.

I will say that MOST people were very good about wearing masks, but there’s always those few. It rained Sunday, so we went shopping and were waiting in line for a store when an elderly woman (I’m 64, and she was significantly older than I am) tried to make conversation by saying, “You know, I don’t believe all this Covid stuff.” We turned around and saw she wasn’t wearing a mask. Ugh. My daughter, who is normally very polite, but has also worked on a Covid ward in her hospital, said to her, “Well I do because I’ve seen people die from it. That’s why, unlike you, I always wear a mask.” The woman STILL tried to enter the store without her mask and got into a verbal tiff with the employee who was monitoring the door. Unfortunately, until everyone follows the rules, Delaware will probably be popping on and off the list.

Whew. Left Delaware this morning before the list came out. We were waiting with baited breath last week to see if we had to cancel, but Delaware came off again last week. We were only there for the weekend, so we were okay.

I will say that MOST people were very good about wearing masks, but there’s always those few. It rained Sunday, so we went shopping and were waiting in line for a store when an elderly woman (I’m 64, and she was significantly older than I am) tried to make conversation by saying, “You know, I don’t believe all this Covid stuff.” We turned around and saw she wasn’t wearing a mask. Ugh. My daughter, who is normally very polite, but has also worked on a Covid ward in her hospital, said to her, “Well I do because I’ve seen people die from it. That’s why, unlike you, I always wear a mask.” The woman STILL tried to enter the store without her mask and got into a verbal tiff with the employee who was monitoring the door. Unfortunately, until everyone follows the rules, Delaware will probably be popping on and off the list.
My policy is to not engage/confront with people over non-compliance. Who the heck knows what they'll do.

Good on the store for not letting her in! If that store had let her in I would have considered (strongly even depending on the situation) reporting the business to whomever you are supposed to.

Parts of NH must quarantine to come to VT.
Interesting.
What parts of NH are required to quarantine?
Our local site advisory does not include this restriction:

"Residents of other states who live in counties across the Northeast including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia that have a similar active COVID-19 caseload to Vermont (defined as less than 400 active cases per million) may enter the state for leisure travel without quarantining if they do so in a personal vehicle."

What parts of NH are required to quarantine?
Our local site advisory does not include this restriction:
The list is updated weekly (i think) and the counties pop on and off. As of today, it’s showing Rockingham and Hillsborough counties subject to quarantine.
https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel
I always recommend folks check the official state website of the lication they plan to visit, rather than any ither site which may not get updated on the same schedule.

I always recommend folks check the official state website of the location they plan to visit, rather than any other site which may not get updated on the same schedule.

Yes, absolutely. :thumbsup2 That's an excellent suggestion. I'll actually add that to the OP and as a reminder, to the updated list each week. The links for each state are already in posts 2-4 for NY/NJ/CT. However, people should do that for whatever other state they are going to, as this is such a dynamically changing situation.

The NY/NJ/CT Travel Advisory is highly publicized because the 3 states grouped together. But, probably every state, more quietly, has one. Not just low infection rate states. Highly impacted states may have one too, to try to control and stop the spread from coming into their state.

For instance, I just Googled for Alaska's current travel advisory, as they've been added to our list this week. They updated last week as they knew their infection rate was going up. :( This is theirs:

"Alaska Travel update
All non-residents must arrive with a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to departure or proof of a pending test result from a test taken within 72 hours prior to departure. This new strategy will allow us to focus resources on travel within the state. More details of the plan will be posted as information becomes available.​
Non-Residents
  • Test 72 hours before departure, and upload negative result into the Alaska Travel Portal
  • If tested 72 hours before departure and awaiting results, travelers will need to upload proof of test taken into the Alaska Travel Portal and quarantine while waiting.
  • If a non-resident arrives without a pre-test, testing is available for $250 per test. The traveler will be required to quarantine while waiting on results.
Alaska Residents
  • Testing remains available at no cost to Alaska residents.
  • 14 day quarantine is still available to Alaska residents.
  • Alaska residents traveling back to home communities in rural Alaska will now have the option of testing at the airport sites, to prevent bringing the virus into our small communities."

Also, NY, NJ, CT aren't exempt from other states' travel advisories just because we have low infection rates. Alaska's travel advisory would apply to us. A PP pointed out Hawaii has a "blanket travel advisory" meaning every state is required to quarantine coming in, no matter how low of an infection rate that state has.

I had heard about these blanket travel advisories before. I forgot to look them up. It would really be good to know which states have them as we'd have to quarantine upon arrival.

Last edited:
Last edited:
But, probably every state, more quietly, has one. Not just low infection rate states. Highly impacted states may have one too, to try to control and stop the spread from coming into their state.
States aren't that quiet about their lists but my assumptions are FL and NY when discussed together are more in the news for other reasons--their back and forth stuff. NY is simply in the news because nearly everyone is on their list and they have been removing/adding more frequently it would appear than other states.

My state has had state-related or county related quarantines since mid-March and have been in national news a time or two for either being added to someone's list or them adding a state to our list but otherwise it's mostly localized information as I would assume most states are (meaning discussions are mostly only within localized areas). The state next to me is not doing quarantines though which is important for me to know as I live by that border and have family that live in that state.

Totally agree about the PP and your point about checking the state's information directly. I think it's a good thing to add to the OP like you mentioned; information changes so darn quickly these days can be quite hard to keep up. You've done a great job on this thread though in keeping people informed ::yes:::)

I hated when Florida grouped all of the states in the tri state area together. I am from western N.Y. I hate these quarantines. They pit state against state and are completely unenforceable. People will get around if they want to. We are the US and should be UNITED to fight this virus. We should all be responsible and safe and work together.

8/25/20:
The U.S. territory, Guam, was added.

Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Maryland, and Montana were removed 8/25/20. :woohoo:Individuals in quarantine after traveling from a state that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 31 states & U.S. territories.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The states are: (updated as of 8/25/20)
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Guam (added 8/25/20)
  • Puerto Rico
  • Virgin Islands

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the following 3 posts after the first post. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.
(The thread title will be updated too, so you know there are changes.)

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

Here is a FULL LIST of all states with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions by State by NBC News, which they will update weekly, but again, check the state's official website.

Last edited:
WARNING: Beware of scammers pretending to be Contact Tracers.

It may become necessary for a Contact Tracer to call you. If you had filled out the NY or NJ questionnaire, you will get a text message first. Then it will be followed by a phone call. In NYS the Contact Tracing program is called the "Test & Trace Corps."

The tracer will verify your identity. They may ask for your date of birth and address. Although, you might ask them to verify your address.

They will never ask for any bank info, financial info, credit card numbers.

If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to ask THEM for a call back number to verify it's them. Or simply hang up and report them to the state's health dept. Then follow the links in the first 4 posts to get a free COVID test. A real Contact Tracer will give you all the info & support on what to do to follow up during your quarantine.

TIP:
NYC will be adding COVID testing sites to JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport for incoming travelers. (There may still be a site already at JFK terminal 4.)

Last edited:
WARNING: Beware of scammers pretending to be Contact Tracers.

It may become necessary for a Contact Tracer to call you. If you had filled out the NY or NJ questionnaire, you will get a text message first. Then it will be followed by a phone call. In NYS the Contact Tracing program is called the "Test & Trace Corps."

The tracer will verify your identity. They may ask for your date of birth and address. Although, you might ask them to verify your address.

They will never ask for any bank info, financial info, credit card numbers.

If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to ask THEM for a call back number to verify it's them. Or simply hang up and report them to the state's health dept. Then follow the links in the first 4 posts to get a free COVID test. A real Contact Tracer will give you all the info & support on what to do to follow up during your quarantine.

TIP:
NYC will be adding COVID testing sites to JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport for incoming travelers. (There may still be a site already at JFK terminal 4.)

FYI My daughter received a call the day after she returned home. The text messages didn't start until the day after that. It came up on caller ID as NYS Contact Tracing 518-387-9993

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter