NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

Good thing we went yesterday to NY to take our college son out to dinner. :) Granted, we were in and out of Rochester in like 4 hours, so wouldn't have had to quarantine anyways.
So what If I went in and out in one day? Do I not have to fill anything out?

I had a feeling Maryland was going to go back on. Was just saying I need to visit my mom in NY - darn it.
Ps - thx for updating each week.

i have a feeling Maryland is going to be like Delaware keeps going on and off the list. You can still visit your mom you will just have to stay in her house and not go anywhere. I know that’s not what you want. sorry. If you can get a vacation at the last moment when Maryland goes off the list. Maybe let your boss know what’s going on and maybe they will let you go at last minute.

Last edited:
Question re: Connecticut. Can you still have an option to do a COVID test within 72 hours of travel instead of quarantining for 14 days?

Last edited:
Good thing we went yesterday to NY to take our college son out to dinner. :) Granted, we were in and out of Rochester in like 4 hours, so wouldn't have had to quarantine anyways.

NYS has launched a SUNY College COVID-19 case tracker. It will be updated every 24 hours so people can see what the COVID situation is at their kid's college. It's not fully up yet, as it is waiting for all 64 state colleges & universities to start reporting in.

SUNY COVID-19 Case Tracker

I know you said your kid is at RIT, which is a private college, and that's not on the list. Maybe they, and other private colleges, will voluntarily want to be added on in the near future. Or another list could be started for the private colleges & universities.

There is also going to be a NYS public school district, K-12 COVID Tracker "Report Card," updated daily, so parents can track what is going on at their kid's school. That one was just announced today and isn't live at all.

NYS School Districts Daily COVID Report Card

Last edited:
So what If I went in and out in one day? Do I not have to fill anything out?

No. If you are in and out in less than 24 hours, you do not have to fill anything out. You would be considered "traveling through" the state.

Question re: Connecticut. Can you still have an option to do a COVID test within 72 hours of travel instead of quarantining for 14 days?

No, that got changed too. There are now only a few exceptions where they allow it:

• Can travelers be tested for COVID-19 instead of self-quarantine? In general, no. The narrow exemption from the self-quarantine requirement applies only to travelers who satisfy the testing requirement and who travel to Connecticut to drop-off a child at school, to attend to a family member or a loved one whose physical or mental health or well-being is at risk, to attend to a family member or loved one’s medical procedure, or to assist with end of life care, to have an end of life visit, or to attend the funeral of a family member or loved one. These travelers are exempt from the self-quarantine requirement strictly for the limited purpose of attending to the event or circumstance that renders him or her unable to self-quarantine. Other than attending that event or circumstance, travelers from affected states are still required to self-quarantine for any portion of the fourteen (14) day period while in Connecticut. Any travelers unable to quarantine must still (1) get a negative test result for COVID-19 in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arriving in Connecticut and (2) provide written proof of such test result to the Commissioner of Public Health via email to DPH.COVID-Travel@ct.gov or via facsimile to 860-326-0529. If a test was obtained in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to travel but the result is still pending at the time of arrival in Connecticut, such traveler shall remain in self-quarantine in Connecticut until the test result is received and, if such test result is negative, the result is submitted to the Commissioner of Public Health. If the test result is positive and the traveler is asymptomatic, he or she shall self-isolate for ten (10) days from the date of the test; if symptomatic, he or she should seek medical assistance. Travelers who test positive for COVID-19 prior to traveling to Connecticut should delay such travel and consult with a medical professional. The traveler is required to complete the Travel Health Form.

• What tests are acceptable for the testing option? Nucleic acid tests such as reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests are the only acceptable testing option. Neither rapid antigen tests nor antibody tests for COVID-19 satisfy the testing requirement for the testing exemption."

For the latest CT travel advisory info & questions:
https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Travel

Last edited:
I know Cuomo named Hofstra in one of his press conferences as having high cases and Hofstra said it wasn’t true an put out their own statement of having only 34 cases in 9200 students on campus not sure where the Governor got his numbers. Dd really wanted to come home over the long weekend an I’m glad I talked her out of it.

I know Cuomo named Hofstra in one of his press conferences as having high cases and Hofstra said it wasn’t true an put out their own statement of having only 34 cases in 9200 students on campus not sure where the Governor got his numbers. Dd really wanted to come home over the long weekend an I’m glad I talked her out of it.

I just looked at the press conference again. My interpretation is that he didn't say Hofstra has high cases, just that it is one of the colleges that have cases. He was pointing out that COVID has made it's way to colleges all over the state. Although, I also see it's said in a confusing way. (I'm surprised NYU, (my alma mater,) hasn't ended up on the list he put up. After the way hundreds openly partied in Washington Square Park this weekend, and 20 students are currently suspended. :mad: We will probably hear of the rate there going up there in the next several days.
Gah.gif
)

:teacher: Also NOTE: He mentioned today that if any college/university's cases go up over 100 cases, the state will shut down the college and make them switch totally to remote learning and send the (non-COVID) students home. :( That happened in the last couple weeks at SUNY Oneonta. COVID has now spread into the city and, as of yesterday, 91 Oneonta city residents are infected, the majority being young adults, ages 18 - 24. NYS now has rapid COVID testing, results in 15 min, for situations such as this.

Anyway, if you want to see where he mentioned Hofstra and put up a college list it's here:

Gov talking about NYS colleges with COVID

If it's not starting at the right spot, go to the 11:34 mark.

Last edited:
I just looked at the press conference again. My interpretation is that he didn't say Hofstra has high cases, just that it is one of the colleges that have cases. He was pointing out that COVID has made it's way to colleges all over the state. Although, I also see it's said in a confusing way. (I'm surprised NYU, (my alma mater,) hasn't ended up on the list he put up. After the way hundreds openly partied in Washington Square Park this weekend, and 20 students are currently suspended. :mad: We will probably hear of the rate there going up there in the next several days.
Gah.gif
)

:teacher: Also NOTE: He mentioned today that if any college/university's cases go up over 100 cases, the state will shut down the college and make them switch totally to remote learning and send the (non-COVID) students home. :( That happened in the last couple weeks at SUNY Oneonta. COVID has now spread into the city and, as of yesterday, 91 Oneonta city residents are infected, the majority being young adults, ages 18 - 24. NYS now has rapid COVID testing, results in 15 min, for situations such as this.

Anyway, if you want to see where he mentioned Hofstra and put up a college list it's here:

Gov talking about NYS colleges with COVID

If it's not starting at the right spot, go to the 11:34 mark.
Thanks we are updated weekly by Hofstra I hope they don’t shut down. Dd loves being at College even if things are so different than at the start freshmen year .

I would of talked her out of it to. Your daughter could be in such great shape that covid won’t effect her like it does in a lot of young people. No need for her to chance it and bring it home.

UPDATE for 9/15/2020 -9/21/2020:

6 States have been removed this week! We are down to the lowest states list!

California, Hawaii, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada and Ohio were removed on 9/15/2020. :woohoo: Individuals already in quarantine after traveling from a state or territory that has been removed from the advisory should continue to quarantine for the full 14 days.

Puerto Rico has been re-added.

New York, New Jersey, & Connecticut's travel advisory is 28 states & 2 U.S. territories.

If you're traveling to NY/NJ/CT from the following states you must self-quarantine for 14 days.

The states are: (updated as of 9/15/20)
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico (re-added 9/15/2020)

There was nothing personal in choosing the states. The criteria is that these states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7 day chart, (called a 7-day rolling average.) OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

The travel advisory does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Also, some categories of essential workers who work in critical infrastructure fields are exempt. Check the state's official website for more specific inf, as they are different for each state.

Specific links & info for each state will be in the 3 posts after the first post of this thread. There is a post designated for each of the 3 states.

The latest, updated list will always be in the first post. This way people don't have to hunt for it.
(The thread title will be updated too, so you know there are changes.)

However:
As a general rule: before making any trip anywhere, check the official state website (ends in .gov) of the location you plan to visit right before you leave home, as this is such a dynamically changing situation. The travel advisories for that state may change at any time due to local circumstances.

Here is a FULL LIST of all states with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions by State by NBC News, which they will update weekly, but again, check the state's official website.

Woohoo! I have zero plans to travel to NY, but it’s nice to see CA get control over this! Things are definitely looking better here.

Soooo glad I'm a Southerner & don't have to deal with that. Sorry you have to.
Well, my state (PA) has a suggested quarantine list of 17 states. I'm glad they care enough to give us a warning where Covid cases are high! Not surprising that a lot of southern states are on the list!

Woohoo! I have zero plans to travel to NY, but it’s nice to see CA get control over this! Things are definitely looking better here.

I've been worried about you, since you mentioned the fires had gotten near you in another thread. Then I noticed you didn't post for a few days. How are you?

I've been worried about you, since you mentioned the fires had gotten near you in another thread. Then I noticed you didn't post for a few days. How are you?
Aww, thanks 🥰

I’m doing ok. A little stir crazy because we’ve literally been stuck in our houses because of the terrible air quality, but it finally dropped out of the dangerous zone today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter