• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I'm assuming they'll end up just making ALL the Star Wars races virtual this year - while shipping out the medals/shirts since I'd imagine those are all already being produced, while keeping your money. I certainly hope this isn't the case but I'd imagine this will be more tolerable to the general public than just canceling everything.
We’d be okay with that. I’ve already cancelled, but plan to run given that I’ve trained. My daughter would be happy to do the same and get her much anticipated medals. We shall see.

I think its still a bit early. Many schools for example are currently planning on being back in session before this race would take place. Disney could announce a closure for the remainder of the month for example but that would mean SW could still take place.

Too soon to know exactly what will happen but if Disney starts getting pressure I think they would start cancelling extra events like DAH or rundisney races or chracter meet and greets before they would close the parks totally.

When i think about the races in this context I think about those start corrals where everybody is so packed in together. Yeah you spread out on the course but you are jammed together at the start often for half an hour to an hour. Maybe one option is to go back to more corrals and spread people out more vs the current few corrals and "mini-waves". I'd be fine with a straight corrals A-z.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Been a crazy 24 hours that's for sure.

I think its still a bit early. Many schools for example are currently planning on being back in session before this race would take place. Disney could announce a closure for the remainder of the month for example but that would mean SW could still take place.

This is the glimmer of hope I'm trying to hang onto. All the universities going virtual around here are doing so until April 10th to start. Maybe we will have hit the peak by then and be on the upswing and everything can go as planned. Its still too early to know but I'm trying to keep a little hope alive.

This is the glimmer of hope I'm trying to hang onto. All the universities going virtual around here are doing so until April 10th to start. Maybe we will have hit the peak by then and be on the upswing and everything can go as planned. Its still too early to know but I'm trying to keep a little hope alive.
Exactly, I have class for the rest of this week then move to a two week extended spring break. After that online classes until April 10th. My school is fully expecting to be back April 13th for in person instruction right now. Obviously things can change. SW is still over a month away. If things improve I can see it still happening.

Most models are not expecting that but there is so much we don't know that anything is possible. If cancelling mass gatherings like NCAA and the new travel ban help then we may be in a better spot in a month. I hope so. Next 7-10 days will be crtical. We'll see if this starts to level off or keeps going up. Fingers crossed.

I'm preparing for a cancellation at this point, and honestly I might bail even if they don’t. All depends on how we handle the increase in cases.

I'm preparing for a cancellation at this point, and honestly I might bail even if they don’t. All depends on how we handle the increase in cases.

For the race I think the next 7-14 days will be critical. Unlike NCAA, etc. rundisney doesn't have to decide today and shouldn't. Hopefully a lot of these measure help and level off cases and things can move on in April. Best case scenario. I love this race and want to do it again (I'm perfect on both coasts for star wars... RIP Anaheim races) so want to see it happen. We'll see what the next week or so brings.

Registration availability is open right now for the Star Wars half and the challenge (maybe no one would sign up for it though given the circumstances). I figured I'd post it in case people were looking.

There is no way the race will be held as planned. There is no reasonable way that they could expect runners to maintain distance from one another. The virus is spread by bodily fluids including sweat and spit which are everywhere in a race. Holding it would be inviting lawsuits and negative PR that are inconsistent with disney's brand.

Registration availability is open right now for the Star Wars half and the challenge (maybe no one would sign up for it though given the circumstances). I figured I'd post it in case people were looking.

I'd sign up if I was able to get there. There's still plenty of time for things to settle down (or spiral out of control) before they need to make a decision about canceling the race. Of course, they might not even get to make the decision. The local or state government could direct them not to hold the race, or the medical staff they rely on could be needed more urgently elsewhere, or some of their park employees might be diagnosed with the virus and force all of WDW to close. Or the rate of transmission slows, the medical facilities in and around Orlando do not get swamped like those in northern Italy, and the race goes on as scheduled.

Well there is now a case at the Daytona Bike Week. That might make RunDisney think now. I am sure they are waiting until the last minute to make the call. As soon as they cancel there will be a cascading effect on the parks and other WDW events.

Well there is now a case at the Daytona Bike Week. That might make RunDisney think now. I am sure they are waiting until the last minute to make the call. As soon as they cancel there will be a cascading effect on the parks and other WDW events.
I fully expect in the next 24-72 hours that domestic parks will get shut down at least through the end of the month based on last night alone

I fully expect in the next 24-72 hours that domestic parks will get shut down at least through the end of the month based on last night alone

It will all come down to liability and how much Disney is willing accept while keeping the parks open. Insurance for events I am sure is going to be harder to get, but Disney isn’t exactly an event. runDisney events are though and they would also fall under any guidelines for gatherings of people limits.

All it takes is one person to be diagnosed in Disney for things to all change and its just a matter of when that happens. All the close quarters with switchback queues would make it a nightmare to do contact tracing so everyone would have to assume they have been exposed potentially.

I just saved another $38 on my Southwest flight. A week or so ago when someone mentioned it, I saved $7. I’m still hoping things settle down and the race continues.

There is no way the race will be held as planned. There is no reasonable way that they could expect runners to maintain distance from one another. The virus is spread by bodily fluids including sweat and spit which are everywhere in a race. Holding it would be inviting lawsuits and negative PR that are inconsistent with disney's brand.
I suspect that you may be right. :(

Through sweat? I have not heard of that before.
Quick search makes me think that is not true unless it mixes with other contaminated respiratory bodily fluids, but I could have looked at a few wrong articles.

So I was able to rebook a split stay (all star sport & coronado) (race and work week) into 8 days at Caribbean... fingers crossed race is still on...

Cancelled my resort reservation. The 30 day deadline was approaching. Don’t think this happens but hope I’m wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter