Official Wine & Dine 2018

So for those who have done the 5K, do you find that most people are doing it for fun or are many people actually running who care about their time? Can you even do it if you care about your time with that big of a crowd?

If you do run for time, can you finish the race and then go back to the photo spots and character meets or can you only do those while you are on the course?
Exactly what everyone else said you can race for time if you want to, But even in A many people push to the front just so they can get to the characters first. Some do race though without stopping as a guy when I did the 5k in '16 kept asking everyone's pace cause he was racing it and wanted to move up to the line, I didn't care but some people really were not wanting to let him move up because they even said who cares about pace (which I thought was rude cause some people do care). Just beware some people toeing that 5k line won't actually take off fast, which can lead to some running into each other & many times kids (which I know can be fast) will be up at the front too. Anyway, the 5k can be whatever you want it to be.

So for those who have done the 5K, do you find that most people are doing it for fun or are many people actually running who care about their time? Can you even do it if you care about your time with that big of a crowd?

If you do run for time, can you finish the race and then go back to the photo spots and character meets or can you only do those while you are on the course?

I ran it for time in 2017, but only because I was in corral A and I really wanted to get through Pandora (it’s tight and dark) without a big crowd. I stopped for a couple selfies and that was it. Unfortunately, I had to sit in the parking lot for a while because the last corral had just started right before I finished and they wouldn’t let us drive out of the parking lot ... which was fine. Just keep that in mind if going for time.

As far as characters, once you pass them, unless you run back your chance for a photo is dunzo. And once you cross the Finish Line, there’s no way back on the course.

I am sure this has been asked and answered, but I cannot find it. My mom's work takes forever to approve vacation time and I am afraid to register until I know for sure that we can go. How quickly does the challenge normally sell out? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: please ignore me, I just found a response saying it will probably take longer for the challenge than the 5K and 10K. So I may be good for a few weeks. LOL

I'm SO excited to register tomorrow - it will be my first half!

How soon do y'all start making hotel plans and the like? I'm local so I don't typically plan run weekends like "vacations" but for this one, I'd like it to be a celebration of meeting my training goal! I'm planning on doing at least one or two nights in a hotel and bringing my parents to Food & Wine for the first time.

Do the hotels fill up quickly this early? Will I get "better" pricing by booking earlier? Any moderate hotel recommendations - Disney or non-Disney?

I'm excited AND a planner, so... :)

I would guess the Epcot resorts are going to be pretty expensive and/or fully booked before too long, but they're always good for F&W. Otherwise, a quick glance at SPG shows Dolphin and Swan still have availability for the weekend as well.

How soon do y'all start making hotel plans and the like? I'm local so I don't typically plan run weekends like "vacations" but for this one, I'd like it to be a celebration of meeting my training goal! I'm planning on doing at least one or two nights in a hotel and bringing my parents to Food & Wine for the first time.

Do the hotels fill up quickly this early? Will I get "better" pricing by booking earlier? Any moderate hotel recommendations - Disney or non-Disney?

Depends on your budget for hotels. Booking sooner rather than later gives you more options. If a discount comes out you can always rebook to get that applied.

For moderate hotels probably steer clear of Caribbean Beach although their dining situation should get better this summer. That resort is under massive renovations right now. I have always liked the Port Orleans resorts. Coronado Springs has newly refurbed rooms as well.

I agree with booking as soon as you can. I'm trying to spread out purchases (F&W half, Dopey x2 for my husband and I) so it's a lot of deposits and registering all at one time so I won't be booking for the F&W weekend for a few more months but planning to stay at SoG.

Saw in a FB group someone mention they updated descriptions so went to rundisney and found these:

"Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon featuring Chef Mickey!"
10k is "in an exciting race celebrating Chef Louis & Sebastian!"
" Disney Two Course Challenge hosted by Lumiere. "
5k is "celebrating Chef Tony from "Lady and the Tramp." "

Saw in a FB group someone mention they updated descriptions so went to rundisney and found these:

So the two course challenge is reverting back to Lumiere.... oh runDisney...

Is there early signup for AP's? I'm having trouble finding it.
Not yet - tomorrow at 12pm EST. Go to rundisney.com and click on the W&D event. Click on Registration, then click Early Registration and Learn More for passholders. There won't be a link to register until noon tomorrow.

So, I'm local-ish, too, and never book WDW hotels this far out, but... I've been shut out of W&D waiting too long. I've never had that issue with the other races, but you don't want to wait too long for W&D. That said, I never book until discounts are released, which won't be for a while yet.

Yep, it's in the description at rD.com. too. I find the choice of Chef Louis a bit weird and disturbing...

Wish I could run 5k as well. Silly job getting in the way of Disney. I bet I'd really like those 5k medals if they stick to the theme of the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter