Official Wine & Dine 2018

Everything on the RunDisney site still lists the same event details (morning race times). This was not the case when they switched from night to morning. So I highly doubt they’re switching it back.

The more I think about it, I’ve got to think it’s just website or server issues or something. When Light Side was cancelled, they didn’t have any TAs selling packages and they didn’t have a replacement registration date ever posted. And they just posted that new info in the descriptions about the theme characters, which seems silly to do if the race is changing or something is up. So I hope it really go on sale next week as they say and everything stays the same.

Besides the additional revenue from the thousands of 10K and Challenge entries, the 3 morning race format means adding a hotel night and the Sunday night after party usually means adding a 4th night. So what went from literally a weekend where I didn't have to take time off of work and two nights worth of hotels turns into two days off work and 4 nights in hotels for my run-cation weekend. I have a feeling I am skipping the 5K this year and possibly the after party. My vacation time can be used on other trips for more satisfaction.

I can understand moving the party to an earlier time (being at Epcot until 4am was wicked cool though...). And I agree that I don't like being a sweaty mess in public, but I feel that starting the party 12ish hours after finishing the race loses a lot of the celebratory tone. To me it seems to be morphing into a Food & Wine Festival private event that the half marathon and challenge runners get a ticket to because their race is themed around food and wine.

I never got to do the night time Food and Wine Race, but going straight to the party after the race was one of the most fun things about the Expedition Everest Challenge. My son and I loved going right from the race to finish to celebrate by riding Everest.

I never got to do the night time Food and Wine Race, but going straight to the party after the race was one of the most fun things about the Expedition Everest Challenge. My son and I loved going right from the race to finish to celebrate by riding Everest.

Extra incentive to finish faster! The EE parties were rockin' fun and it was nice to be able to ride Kali River Rapids and get soaked to cool off.

What has led everyone to believe that it's being switched back to night? Has Run Disney said anything that might hint at it?

Extra incentive to finish faster! The EE parties were rockin' fun and it was nice to be able to ride Kali River Rapids and get soaked to cool off.
Yeah the second year we did it we were pretty quick. We were able to ride Everest 4 or 5 times before a line started to form. We did it a couple more times and then went and rode Kali, and then got a Turkey Leg and at it on the bridge by Dinoland. I've been fortunate to get to do a lot of neat things at Disney but that night is still one of my all time highlights.

Yeah the second year we did it we were pretty quick. We were able to ride Everest 4 or 5 times before a line started to form. We did it a couple more times and then went and rode Kali, and then got a Turkey Leg and at it on the bridge by Dinoland. I've been fortunate to get to do a lot of neat things at Disney but that night is still one of my all time highlights.

Please forgive my ignorance but what was/is the EE race? I am far from new to Disney but very new to runDisney and this sounds awesome - or I am very sad I've missed out on it! Wine & Dine this year will be my first runDisney runs...put good vibes into the universe for me that I hang in there :crutches::scared:

What has led everyone to believe that it's being switched back to night? Has Run Disney said anything that might hint at it?
No one has said anything from RunDisney. People are just speculating randomly about why the registration date was pushed back. I don't think it's likely that it's going to change given the amount of information that is out there, but runDisney absolutely *sucks at communicating things which is why people are speculating.

*Examples of Suckiness:
The Wine and Dine Switch from night to day,
The cancellation of Light side and other West coast races.
Changing the half course to not run through the castle (then changing it back when people complained)

Please forgive my ignorance but what was/is the EE race? I am far from new to Disney but very new to runDisney and this sounds awesome - or I am very sad I've missed out on it! Wine & Dine this year will be my first runDisney runs...put good vibes into the universe for me that I hang in there :crutches::scared:

The Expedition Everest Challenge was a 5K race with a puzzle scavenger hunt (almost another 5K worth) following it. I recall it having single and two member team entries. It has been gone for a few years now.

It was in early May. It was a 5k through an Obstacle Course around AK and then a treasure hunt/puzzle solving game that covered about another 2 or 3 K. The Finisher medal was a working compass, and after the race there was a party in AK for the runners. The obstacles were easy, Jumping hay bales, running through tires and crawling under wire and it was geared to be run as a team so it was great for parents to run with their kids.

Delayed registration for AP/DVC only + wishful thinking

The Expedition Everest Challenge was a 5K race with a puzzle scavenger hunt (almost another 5K worth) following it. I recall it having single and two member team entries. It has been gone for a few years now.

Ah darn that sounds so fun! I was never really a runner in my early 20s because of foot issues but at 29 I've finally gotten the good-to-go so I am attempting this year. Also I just really want those medals haha!

Changing the half course to not run through the castle (then changing it back when people complained)

I don't think they ever actually changed the course. That would have required alteration of the USATF courses and I never heard or saw evidence of that. What I remember from the firestorm at the time was that an artist had mistakenly indicated the route would go around the castle in one of the unofficial maps that was drafted for the event guide (only the USATF can be official). I agree that RunDisney sucks at communication, though.

I don't think they ever actually changed the course. That would have required alteration of the USATF courses and I never heard or saw evidence of that. What I remember from the firestorm at the time was that an artist had mistakenly indicated the route would go around the castle in one of the unofficial maps that was drafted for the event guide (only the USATF can be official). I agree that RunDisney sucks at communication, though.
I think at that point the event guide showed it running around the castle and they changed the description of that race so that it no longer included running through the castle. They left it in the marathon description though. It was more that just the picture that had people concerned.

Delayed registration for AP/DVC only + wishful thinking

This isn't directed at you but in general, your comment was best to quote ☺

Two years ago when they delayed didn't they announce the delay in the for all reg at the same time? Where this time it's just been early reg? I can't remember.

I think at that point the event guide showed it running around the castle and they changed the description of that race so that it no longer included running through the castle. They left it in the marathon description though. It was more that just the picture that had people concerned.

I didn't remember the change in verbiage in the event guide, but I think the original point is still valid. The USATF course was not changed and the official course still went through the castle. They screwed up in their description and map in the event guide, but they didn't actually change the course and then change it back...

If I recall, that was a 5K. Most people look and smell (I said it!) pretty different after a half. I don’t want to stand in FOOD lines of all things with everyone at that point. Just :crazy2: to me.

If they change it to a night race, we might still do it — not sure — but I’d definitely skip the evening party. And if the switch meant no 10K, we’d skip it and do SWDS in Apr during F&G instead.

EE was the Expedition Everest 5k Challenge run that was discontinued in 2015. It was held at night, running a 5k through Animal Kingdom with a obstacles to accomplish along the way. Then you went back through AK following clues and puzzles being sent on to the next provided you gave the right answer. Your medal was waiting for you at the end provided you showed volunteers the correct answer as you ran toward the finish line. (the Challenge). Soooo much fun! Then...the after party!

If my AP expires before the registration date, but my daughter's is still active (she is a minor) can anyone tell me if I will still be allowed in the early AP registration window to sign myself up? Her AP is linked to my MDE.

If my AP expires before the registration date, but my daughter's is still active (she is a minor) can anyone tell me if I will still be allowed in the early AP registration window to sign myself up? Her AP is linked to my MDE.
No. Each person has to have an active AP for signing up I believe. So if one person has an AP in a family of four that one person can’t sign everyone up they can only sign up themselves.

No. Each person has to have an active AP for signing up I believe. So if one person has an AP in a family of four that one person can’t sign everyone up they can only sign up themselves.

Ok, good to know! I have some work to do before the sign up date then. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter