• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Official Wine & Dine 2018

The current message made mention of see you at the race, which is much less vague than the SW half message. So hopefully the race still goes on with the same dates.
Exactly. Their current social media wording DOES NOT sound like the wording they used for Light Side, which to me means this isn't a cancellation situation.

When they changed Wine & Dine 2016, they announced the new registration date at the same time as the registration delay, so this isn't quite the same as that situation either...

They can't do that because they have such a small limit on the number of AP/DVC spots. It's often harder to get in through early registration than regular. They have no way of knowing how many AP/DVC members that might apply to, making it impossible to reserve an appropriate quantity of bibs, especially if it could exceed the number normally available for early registration.

You may well be correct. I could see RunDisney only holding open bibs for those AP/DVC folks who emailed them on early registration day that they could not access the site. This would mean that RunDisney would probably sell way more bibs to AP/DVC folks than usual during early registration, but my guess is that the AP/DVC folks who normally get shut out during early registration usually then just register during normal registration anyway.

I've been reading rumors on another site for quite awhile that they are slowly trying to make the Food & Wine booths a permanent thing, because the festival is so popular (see booths at the Flower & Garden Festival, and they have booths at that Festival of the Arts thing, right?)...so I wonder if you're right that the festival is technically going away, because the booths will always be there in some form. So it's Food & Wine time all the time. :scratchin

Please don’t let permanent booths be true. While EPCOT is kind of already all festival all the time, I hate to see World Showcase have those permanently. That’s just a blatant money grab and EPCOT really doesn’t need more alcohol options.

I mean it’s runDisney so who knows but I don’t think they’d include the dates if there was a thought they’d change. I’m guessing they did that maybe to calm the rumors.

Edit: calming the rumors didn’t work. :)

Why would it go away?? Seems like a huge money-maker for Disney. They keep ADDING festivals mimicking it...

Make it more of a monthly change of events with more booths and less special events.

I've been reading rumors on another site for quite awhile that they are slowly trying to make the Food & Wine booths a permanent thing, because the festival is so popular (see booths at the Flower & Garden Festival, and they have booths at that Festival of the Arts thing, right?)...so I wonder if you're right that the festival is technically going away, because the booths will always be there in some form. So it's Food & Wine time all the time. :scratchin

I could see that. Certain booths are pretty much permanent nowadays.

Yes. That, exactly. ^ :headache:

Holy moly. What on earth? I think runDisney likes drama! Maybe it's all just a giant marketing ploy to increase interest! LOL!
If so, it's failing completely for me: the longer this goes on, the less interest I have in forking over my money, lol!

~~~

So, exploring the major changes to F&WF = changes to W&D... what kinds of changes would impact the races? I can't think of anything, but I'm not feeling very awake or creative at the moment...

I'm kind of happy this happened. My trip to Europe for RDParis added up rather quickly. Need to spread out these costs Disney!

Speculation:

1. IT problem (alexa how many millions was disney going to bring in today selling bibs?)
2. Date Problem (will it go to sometime in October or perhaps even the following week? wasn't W&D extended another week?)
3. Weekend Itinerary Problem (the night king.. I mean the night race returns)
4. Theme change (less likely, they could have still sold and changed theme after like they did Disneyland Half last year)
5. Construction has the courses all messed up (WDW is huge... they can find a course)

also, take this with a grain of salt, but word from some of my operation friends regarding last years race was that it lost a lot of money and they knew that going into the weekend. RD was not happy. I'm not sure what they would have to do with today's announcement but RD isn't always up to speed with these things..

Do you really think a company like Disney with as big of an IT department as they have, are unable to fix some code in simple script over the course of over a week? That takes minutes. It's also a red flag given they've known the sign-up date for months.

Disney IT is notoriously bad with multiple systems that have difficulty working with each other. I've been an AP holder for a couple of years now and in that short a time there have been multiple issues just with that system and the ability to access it and take advantage of benefits that have nothing to do with RunDisney or the need to link to an outside system, as well (Active).

Please don’t let permanent booths be true. While EPCOT is kind of already all festival all the time, I hate to see World Showcase have those permanently. That’s just a blatant money grab and EPCOT really doesn’t need more alcohol options.

I mean it’s runDisney so who knows but I don’t think they’d include the dates if there was a thought they’d change. I’m guessing they did that maybe to calm the rumors.

Edit: calming the rumors didn’t work. :)
Agree!! I 100% hope that the rumors of the booths being permanent are NOT true. I wouldn't want the booths there all the time, and I like Food & Wine being its own special thing. But some of the special-ness has already gone away with the booths popping up at other times of the year, so I can see them slowly making them permanent. :sad2:
So, exploring the major changes to F&WF = changes to W&D... what kinds of changes would impact the races? I can't think of anything, but I'm not feeling very awake or creative at the moment...
The entire race weekend theme would need to change, right? :scratchin They DID already announce food-related themes for each race though...
also, take this with a grain of salt, but word from some of my operation friends regarding last years race was that it lost a lot of money and they knew that going into the weekend. RD was not happy.
Assuming this is true, I wonder where the money was lost - the after-party? Was it not as well-attended since the race wasn't immediately before it?

I'm kind of happy this happened. My trip to Europe for RDParis added up rather quickly. Need to spread out these costs Disney!

Speculation:

1. IT problem (alexa how many millions was disney going to bring in today selling bibs?)
2. Date Problem (will it go to sometime in October or perhaps even the following week? wasn't W&D extended another week?)
3. Weekend Itinerary Problem (the night king.. I mean the night race returns)
4. Theme change (less likely, they could have still sold and changed theme after like they did Disneyland Half last year)
5. Construction has the courses all messed up (WDW is huge... they can find a course)
My guess is that it's #5. With the Guardians ride going up near the Epcot parking lot, the gondolas going up at DHS and Epcot, those all interfere with the courses as they currently stand. I'm sure they are trying to find a different course but maybe they're trying to confirm it will be plausible before making thousands of people sign up, and then afterward realizing logistically it wouldn't work out and having to refund those people. This is all pure speculation on my part, but I could easily see this being the case.

Agree!! I 100% hope that the rumors of the booths being permanent are NOT true. I wouldn't want the booths there all the time, and I like Food & Wine being its own special thing. But some of the special-ness has already gone away with the booths popping up at other times of the year, so I can see them slowly making them permanent. :sad2:

The entire race weekend theme would need to change, right? :scratchin They DID already announce food-related themes for each race though...

Assuming this is true, I wonder where the money was lost - the after-party? Was it not as well-attended since the race wasn't immediately before it?

The after party, imo, was a joke. It was so crowded that it seemed like a normal day. Plus a lot of stores and vendors weren't open. It was fine for free, but soarin and TT had 90 min waits... frozen was similar.. you get the point. The walkways around world showcase were like a typical weekday night.

I don't think the AP/DVC page has anything to do with active.com though....

Only in so far as they have to make the AP/DVC and RunDisney systems work together to ensure that only members get access to the link that then goes to Active for registration. So, in essence, all three sites do have to be in sync to some extent.

Only in so far as they have to make the AP/DVC and RunDisney systems work together to ensure that only members get access to the link that then goes to Active for registration. So, in essence, all three sites do have to be in sync to some extent.

ummm you don't need that link from that AP page...

Make it more of a monthly change of events with more booths and less special events.
As I always say, nothing much would surprise me with Disney. However, the special events at F&W are why we make a separate trip each year. That would be one less trip for us if they scale it back.

I haven’t heard anything about F&W and those events NOT being profitable. Anyone else?

ummm you don't need that link from that AP page...

You do, unless you get the back door link from someone else. There's a sign in step to your AP/DVC account in the process.

You do, unless you get the back door link from someone else. There's a sign in step to your AP/DVC account in the process.

Is this new as of this year? I've always registered for AP/DVC week and never done that. It has always been available to find on active.com if you use the search function.

I don't think they are delaying because some can't make it on the AP page. Email communication never makes it to all APs in the first place for perks and special offers so I don't think they are extremely concerned about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter