Official Wine & Dine 2018

I was gone for a bit and today I thought I accidentally wandered into a parking thread.

:rotfl:

Which I think has happened across the board, because it looks to be a really hot topic.

I’ve been under a Spring Break rock with constantly bickering children. They will fight about anything, including who ate the last Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. (Spoiler alert: It was me.):wave:

Good news that early and regular registrations now look to be opening soon! I hope everyone gets in their desired races.

From where I sit watching people argue about who looked at who first (sigh), a solo trip this fall is looking realllllly good right about now.

I’ve been under a Spring Break rock with constantly bickering children. They will fight about anything, including who ate the last Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. (Spoiler alert: It was me.):wave:

I agree, this is absolutely argument-worthy at least in my household too! And we are all adults! I knowwww Keebler Grasshoppers are the same cookie but just leave my Thin Mints be!!

Although I should probably lay off them while training for these upcoming races (I have several at home too prior to these). I can, kid you not, inhale an entire box in one sitting.

My guess is that this charge:
Will not substantially reduce occupancy rates at the hotels. (we've been checking for last minute trips and for a lot of weekends there is essentially no availability)
Is designed to get more people to use ME so that they are "Stuck" in the Disney bubble
Will price some people out of staying on property
I agree. I'm one who's priced out, as not bringing a car isn't an option (I live 100 miles form WDW, so I have to drive and have to park somewhere) and I'm unable to add any extra trip costs on my income. It's a bummer... but 20-25 years ago, I couldn't begin to afford to stay onsite and still enjoyed the parks from offsite accommodations. TBH, I may have even enjoyed those stays more, but Disney has convinced me that it's somehow a lesser vacation if I don't stay at their inferior lodgings. I'm now out to prove them wrong. :)

All of which is to say, I think I'm probably in for the W&D half. And I'll stay offsite, where I don't have to pay for parking lol!

I'm so ready to sign up for the half tomorrow!! Makes it so much more real even though it's still far away!

Does anyone know when they generally update the training program PDF's on the runDisney site? The W&D ones are still for 2017. I like to print them out and keep them on my fridge! I also want to compare to the half training app on my phone.

I agree. I'm one who's priced out, as not bringing a car isn't an option (I live 100 miles form WDW, so I have to drive and have to park somewhere) and I'm unable to add any extra trip costs on my income. It's a bummer... but 20-25 years ago, I couldn't begin to afford to stay onsite and still enjoyed the parks from offsite accommodations. TBH, I may have even enjoyed those stays more, but Disney has convinced me that it's somehow a lesser vacation if I don't stay at their inferior lodgings. I'm now out to prove them wrong. :)

All of which is to say, I think I'm probably in for the W&D half. And I'll stay offsite, where I don't have to pay for parking lol!

It's interesting to me that, while I don't drive in Disney, this is actually really put in my mind more about staying off-site for some reason. I guess maybe it's because while it doesn't affect me, at least in the foreseeable future, I feel it's unfair to those who do drive for any given reason. However I am already booked onsite at Pop for W&D, since they are my first runDisney races and I am a worrier who would worry about taking Uber in time!!

It's interesting to me that, while I don't drive in Disney, this is actually really put in my mind more about staying off-site for some reason. I guess maybe it's because while it doesn't affect me, at least in the foreseeable future, I feel it's unfair to those who do drive for any given reason. However I am already booked onsite at Pop for W&D, since they are my first runDisney races and I am a worrier who would worry about taking Uber in time!!
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable depending on Uber, either, though I know plenty of people have used it! I have friends who rent cars for WDW regularly and always get great deals, though, so that's an option for offsite stays.

I'm so ready to sign up for the half tomorrow!! Makes it so much more real even though it's still far away!

Does anyone know when they generally update the training program PDF's on the runDisney site? The W&D ones are still for 2017. I like to print them out and keep them on my fridge! I also want to compare to the half training app on my phone.
I'm just hoping that the AP that I had MDE tech staff activate yesterday (as they could not answer me if just the renewal certificate confirm number would work):oops: does so and I can register as a passholder. Heck, I'm just hoping registration happens!:sad2:

I'm just hoping that the AP that I had MDE tech staff activate yesterday (as they could not answer me if just the renewal certificate confirm number would work):oops: does so and I can register as a passholder. Heck, I'm just hoping registration happens!:sad2:

Can you check in MDE to see if your pass is listed as "Active"? You should be able to see how many days you have remaining and when it expires. If it's not there you might want to call back and double check.

Can you check in MDE to see if your pass is listed as "Active"? You should be able to see how many days you have remaining and when it expires. If it's not there you might want to call back and double check.
Yes, MDE and I checked yesterday and saw that there was an active pass with 2019 expiration date. I just DON'T have a number that goes along with that activation. MDE tech said I could type in any of the "active" magic band or card numbers that I can see on my MDE account. Tho I'm not putting much faith into that answer.

With all that's happened this week, I'm ready to just take my chances during public registration.

The parking is annoying and I think as some mentioned it might be the tipping point for many people. It's getting to the point where my nostalgia for Disney is being overwhelmed by the nickel and diming of Disney. I don't think we'll stop taking Disney vacations, but we're looking more at Shades of Green. While they charge for parking, albeit significantly less, we still get the perks of staying on site, deluxe quality accommodations, proximity to parks and a reasonable price. We have always driven to Disney in the past as a family because for 5 of us it was the most cost effective option. (I do normally fly for racecations as it's just me and now that we have moved to PA.) I've already booked in to the Grand for W&D weekend, but depending on availability with the military discount it could be one of my last stays on site as I now have to figure in the cost of parking for any options as part of my vacation budget.

So ... I was just thinking about parking. I have a Tables in Wonderland card - so, if I valet at my resort and just take my receipt from having a drink or a meal every day, would that get the valet charge covered? Yeah, it would be a slight PITA ... but I usually leave the resort to drive somewhere every day, so ...

I'm feeling weird signing up only for the half marathon. I love the challenges and all the medals. Gah....what to do....

After some thought I looked at the Swan/Dolphin. I've never really considered them before due to the resort & parking fees, but after the new Disney parking fee I priced it out this morning. I can get two nights and upgrade to valet parking for less than what I currently have booked at the Poly with my magical travel agent. Plus it's walking distance to Epcot.

The parking thing bothers me so much because I feel like it's just another upcharge they're adding. We used to have tons of EMH, now those have been cut and we have After Hours and Early Magic or whatever they're called. Early access to runDisney expos costs something, but that means the expo opens later for everyone else. You can get preferred fireworks viewing if you pay for the dessert party. Do we HAVE to pay for these things? No, but I think it's a sign of where Disney's heading* (and from reading other boards and the News & Rumors section, I know I'm not the only one). I know that "Disney is a business" but it's just not getting to be a good look for them. It seems greedy. And I feel like normally they spin upcharge things as "a new and exciting experience for our guests" - this one is flat out to make more money, no benefit to the guest.
Will Fastpasses be free forever?? HMMM...

And with that, I'll stop clogging this thread with parking whining! :teeth: :flower3:

I'm feeling weird signing up only for the half marathon. I love the challenges and all the medals. Gah....what to do....

After some thought I looked at the Swan/Dolphin. I've never really considered them before due to the resort & parking fees, but after the new Disney parking fee I priced it out this morning. I can get two nights and upgrade to valet parking for less than what I currently have booked at the Poly with my magical travel agent. Plus it's walking distance to Epcot.
I've never stayed at S/D, but I hear the rooms (and specifically the beds) are super nice. I'm tempted to check them out too.

I LOVE the Swolphin - and not just because it's a Marriott property and I can use points and have status. The rooms are quite large (definitely bigger than a club-level or studio room at YC/BC), the beds and linens are GREAT, the hotel offers more high-end amenities (better shampoos, nicer coffee maker, free bottled water, better high-speed internet) and a great selection of on-property bars and restaurants.

It's probably going to be my permanent go-to after my last Disney property reservation in January, unless I'm staying DVC.

I LOVE the Swolphin - and not just because it's a Marriott property and I can use points and have status. The rooms are quite large (definitely bigger than a club-level or studio room at YC/BC), the beds and linens are GREAT, the hotel offers more high-end amenities (better shampoos, nicer coffee maker, free bottled water, better high-speed internet) and a great selection of on-property bars and restaurants.

It's probably going to be my permanent go-to after my last Disney property reservation in January, unless I'm staying DVC.

I think I'm going to take the plunge. Now I just need to figure out if I'll have FOMO for not running the challenge. I can bump down to just one night and pay for late checkout if I only run the half.

I love the Swolfin too. The Swan is a little nicer, being a Westin, but they just redid the Dolphin's lobby. I used to stay at them all the time (because I can get decent rates there) but stopped because of the parking and resort fees. Staying at the Pop has been cheaper for me.
Other off site properties that I like are the Delta Hotel on Apoka Vineland, they charge $15 for parking, but no resort fee. They are also walking distance to DS, so you can hop busses from there, and a $20 cab ride back from Epcot. The Holiday Inn by DS is really nice too, they charge for parking, and just added a resort fee, so while I can get rooms there fairly cheap, the resort fee annoys me.
I also stay at the Radisson (it's cheap and close), or the Clarion LBV, and sometimes the Sheraton LBV.

I'm not cheap, but if you can get a better hotel for similar cost to the POP why not do it? It isn't just the room rates, if you are on property without a car, you are stuck with the overpriced food and drink offerings as well. I can't count how many times I got something to eat at POP and it wasn't good.

Back on topic, I am going to book the 10K for the W & D and see how training goes. I might add on the 1/2 marathon later if it is available. Can you upgrade to the challenge later if the other piece is available?

If I remember correctly it comes out a couple to a few weeks before you would start training. I liked the 2016 plan so I use that and adapt it to my dates working backwards from the race I'm doing. I use a running journal and my pocket calendar to keep track though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter