• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

OHANA Opens 7/9 - AWAITING REVIEWS :|

Blog Mickey skewered Ohana....

Wow-- I now put our odds of cancelling at Defcon 2--- if not for seeing the pics of the bread pudding, which we love, would be at Defcon 1 !! Again, would be shocked if the shrimp casserole makes it to August 1

Wow-- I now put our odds of cancelling at Defcon 2--- if not for seeing the pics of the bread pudding, which we love, would be at Defcon 1 !! Again, would be shocked if the shrimp casserole makes it to August 1
we have a reservation for August 1 and I really hope the old shrimp is back! It was my son’s favorite part of the meal. 😢I don’t foresee anyone in my family eating the shrimp casserole.

I suspect that if 'Ohana had just opened with the current menu (as opposed to replacing the old menu) there wouldn't be that many complaints. But it didn't, and I'm still irritated they replaced the skewers with stuff that doesn't seem to be near the same quality/uniqueness.

To me Ohana was a very unique dining experience.... sure some places have these Brazilin Steak houses that offer much the same, but our first visit it was a very stand out experience. Which is what WDW was all about for me. So year after year we'd always have Ohana on our list of things to must do.

Might be an ok place to get a meal, but not sure it's an experience anymore.... but that might be good for guest staying at the hotel or on the monorail line, easier to get in on short notice.

Cape May is another "experience" we enjoyed.... but just had friend return from it and like Ohana it's lost that "feel" it once had.

I really loved the bread pudding when it was bananas foster. Did that change just recently to pineapple, or was it pineapple even before Covid?

I really loved the bread pudding when it was bananas foster. Did that change just recently to pineapple, or was it pineapple even before Covid?

My understanding is that this was another of the post Covid downgrades (Per reviews).

Someone even liked the shrimp casserole!

Glad opening is going OK.
I really have to question someone who likes paying $55 for Shrimp casserole!! Oh I know there is much more than shrimp casserole(don’t forget the baked chicken) until WE Ohanas fans take a stand and stop giving them our hard earned money, we will keep getting shrimp casserole!!!

Ate at 'Ohana a few nights ago. Overall, my review is not particularly positive.

We liked both kinds of bread and thought they complemented each other nicely.
We thought the dumplings were quite good and didn't need dipping sauce as they had absorbed a lot of flavor in the cooking and were not dry.
We thought the bread pudding was delicious.
We were split on the wings--some thought they were really good; others thought they were just okay.
We were split on the beef--the sauce was great, and some of the cubes were cooked perfectly, while others were way overdone; in addition, the beef was a salt bomb; those of us who like very salty foods loved it, those who don't were turned off.
Surprisingly, we all thought the shrimp casserole was actually pretty good. Despite the bad name and the unflattering look, it isn't some sort of grotesque mac-n-cheese abomination. It's basically a corn chowder with shrimp. I'd gladly trade it for the peel and eat skewers, but I actually kind of enjoyed it.
We all thought the chicken was bland and the broccolini was dry. And the kielbasa was just meh.
And, with apologies for the sacrilege, none of us cared for the noodles. Were they always this sweet?? (We were only here once in the before times, but it was years ago and I don't remember it well.) They were so sweet that they seemed like a dessert. And not a good one.

The atmosphere was okay, but seemed to lack the energy we remembered from our previous visit. And our table didn't allow us any view of the fireworks at all, which was a let down.

The biggest turnoff was the price. With tax and tip, you are looking at nearly $300 for 4 people --- and a lot more than that when you add in the drinks. That's elite fine dining pricing. But this is not an elite meal. Obviously, things cost more at Disney. And I have gotten pretty good at suspending reality when it comes to Disney prices over the years. But this one was honestly hard to swallow. This meal (the whole package of food and atmosphere) just doesn't come close to being worth that money, even when you figure in the Disney markup. I didn't feel that way about anywhere else we ate this trip. I will overpay for Disney; it's just part of the trip. But this meal . . . .

Nailed it. The meal just isn’t worth the price anymore!! Guys...SAVE YOUR MONEY UNTIL THE REAL OHANAS RETURNS!! We all
Know it is overpriced to a degree, it’s Disney, but Atleast when it was like it was before you could justify the meal and experience!!! You can’t now!!

I am a fan of the whole 'family style' options at the resorts right now, but not this one, and the price is atrocious. I'd rather spend about 30 bucks and go eat at Sebastian's or Trails End.

That's elite fine dining pricing. But this is not an elite meal. Obviously, things cost more at Disney. And I have gotten pretty good at suspending reality when it comes to Disney prices over the years. But this one was honestly hard to swallow. This meal (the whole package of food and atmosphere) just doesn't come close to being worth that money, even when you figure in the Disney markup. I didn't feel that way about anywhere else we ate this trip. I will overpay for Disney; it's just part of the trip. But this meal . . . .

Yeah we did the Castle back in April.... and it's expensive, but the meal was surprisingly good. Venue, Characters and Meal... made it all worth it.

Ohan just keeps losing the "character" or "charm" that made it a dining experience to not be missed. Really have to wonder, what does Aulani Disney Resort offer?

Have dinner at 6:25 scheduled for Ohana's. We are spending the day at Epcot. What is the best way to get from Epcot to the Poly?

Have dinner at 6:25 scheduled for Ohana's. We are spending the day at Epcot. What is the best way to get from Epcot to the Poly?

Monorail to the TTC and then walk. Or take a bus (until mid-August).

Edit: not sure when your trip is... but if the Poly monorail station is open then you can monorail to the TTC and switch monorail lines to the resort monorail directly to the Polynesian. But I would just walk from the TTC.

Monorail to the TTC and then walk. Or take a bus (until mid-August).

Edit: not sure when your trip is... but if the Poly monorail station is open then you can monorail to the TTC and switch monorail lines to the resort monorail directly to the Polynesian. But I would just walk from the TTC.

We are going Saturday August 21st. Walking is definitely out and I have bad knees. I just got my first Cortisone shots and am hoping they improve by then. Sounds like we will have to use a taxi from Epcot to the Poly. They really do not make it easy to dine at resorts, do they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter