Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have been more than happy to have a disney pair of crocs. My goodness, people these days. You get something, but than you want more and more. I agree with everyone else, you wanted more. Seriously, I would just be happy that they gave me a 25.00 gift certificate to get new shoes. I dont get people these days.

Correct me if I am wrong aren't child size crocs 25 dollars?! I would have to find my reciepts to say I am 100 percent positive... But I am SURE I only paid 25 dollars for DD's disney crocs 3 weeks ago in the Magic Kingdom... as she lost one sitting in her stroller one day and I needed to get her a pair of shoes ASAP!!
I also believe only the ADULT sizes are 35 dollars!

WHAT???? You mean you didn't file a claim because your entire vacation was ruined when someone at the park "stole" her shoe?

WHAT???? You mean you didn't file a claim because your entire vacation was ruined when someone at the park "stole" her shoe?

I know I was thinking I should have! And on top of it I had just bought her more JIBBITZ the day before! I certainly should of been reimbursed for those aswell as my stolen shoe! :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This is kind of amazing. If this had happened to us, my dd would have flipped out crying, but the certificate for a new pair of shoes would have made her day, and ours. I would have posted about it on here. The title would have been,

"Magical moment for us!" because I would have posted about the shoe getting eaten and the nice CM giving us the certificate so we wouldn't have to go buy a pair ourselves.

I'm sorry, but I would NEVER let my child go without shoes somewhere. NEVER. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. Nor would I make them sit in a stroller all day. There are things on the ground that are bad for feet. What if her feet got wet? I got a nasty, NASTY plantar wort from a Six Flags park when my shoe fell into a pond while I was on a ride. What if she stepped on something that hurt? What if someone stepped on her foot? You mean to tell me she was in the stroller when standing in lines?

Oh man, this means that when she went to the bathroom she wasn't wearing shoes. GROSS! Talk about danger of infection. Feet get infected with nasty things easily.

I agree that flip flops are hard for some little ones to wear, but crocs are not. Not if you get the right size and make sure the back straps are used. I get the feeling it wasn't the fit of crocs that OP did not like but rather the look of them.

Put shoes on your kids feet, mom!

Correct me if I am wrong aren't child size crocs 25 dollars?! I would have to find my reciepts to say I am 100 percent positive... But I am SURE I only paid 25 dollars for DD's disney crocs 3 weeks ago in the Magic Kingdom... as she lost one sitting in her stroller one day and I needed to get her a pair of shoes ASAP!!
I also believe only the ADULT sizes are 35 dollars!
I know on the Crocs site, they are about $30. It's possible that WDW sells them for less. $35 would be the cost of an adult pair on the Crocs site....so I'm really not sure where this "I'd have to spend $10!" comes from, unless she's mistakenly referring to an adult size, which surely a young child would not be able to fit into. If she were to spend her own money in addition to the gift certificate, it would be around $5 not $10. A small price to pay for brand new shoes. The kid doesn't like them? Too bad, IMO. One pair was already destroyed and this is only a temporary fix for them and then she never has to wear them again. $5 for brand new shoes only to be worn a few times, if that. Yeah, I wouldn't be complaining.

IMO if a parent has the money to pay for Nikes that kids outgrow so quickly (and Nike sneakers are generally much more expensive than Crocs), then the parent can afford the $5 or $10 for a temporary shoe until a better footwear solution is found.

On top of that, if the parent is trying to get a doll instead...this no longer has anything to do with the parent's concern about replacing a shoe.....

First of all, I am glad the OP's daughter was not hurt. In the end, that is the most important thing.

I think you could make the argument that Disney was responsible for compensating the OP for the VALUE of the shoes. Keep in mind, I said value, not replacement cost. In small claims court, if you are awarded damages, you are given the relative value of the item which was lost.

Essentially, the minute you walk out of the store with new shoes, they lose value. If they cost you $35 retail, they are no longer necessarily worth that when you take them out of the store.

I think Disney offered fair compensation for loss of the shoes and $25 was the maximum that this CM was able to offer. It seems that the bigger issue here is that the OP wanted a doll instead of what Disney was able to offer which was unreasonable. Disney is not obligated to do that.

I think this incident is just one small example of why the legal system is backlogged with frivilous litigation. Not that the OP is suing, but the concept is the same. This is why liability/malpractice insurance is through the roof (which affects prices eventually and everyone pays).

The CM was trying to make a magical moment for the child. An unfortunate accident happened. The CM did what she could to "maintain" the magical moment. Personally, I think Disney did a great job in this situation.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for being so nasty towards this mother who clearly just wanted a new pair of tennis shoes for her child instead of crocks or flip flops. I honestly wouldn't want my daughter to go around for the rest of our vacation in a pair of flip flops....she would end up with the worst blisters ever!
I think all this mom was really wanted was to be able to use the certificate for tennis shoes instead of the flip flops or crocks and when she couldn't, instead of asking, she just thought she would get her daughter a stuffed Minnie to make her happy and replace the Nikes when she returned home. I don't think she was being gready by wanting the shoes her daughter was wearing replaced or partially paid for!

You people need to seriously lighten up on this mother because until you're in her shoes, you don't know what you would do!!!!!

Thank goodness the daughter is okay......and maybe there WAS something wrong with the escalator!!!!!

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for being so nasty towards this mother who clearly just wanted a new pair of tennis shoes for her child instead of crocks or flip flops. I honestly wouldn't want my daughter to go around for the rest of our vacation in a pair of flip flops....she would end up with the worst blisters ever!
I think all this mom was really wanted was to be able to use the certificate for tennis shoes instead of the flip flops or crocks and when she couldn't, instead of asking, she just thought she would get her daughter a stuffed Minnie to make her happy and replace the Nikes when she returned home. I don't think she was being gready by wanting the shoes her daughter was wearing replaced or partially paid for!

You people need to seriously lighten up on this mother because until you're in her shoes, you don't know what you would do!!!!!

Thank goodness the daughter is okay......and maybe there WAS something wrong with the escalator!!!!!

If she wasn't concerned about her daughter being barefoot she obviously wasn't concerned about blisters from flip flops.

Actually, what I got out of the OP's post was that she wanted a plush toy for her daughter and was not that concerned about getting the shoes. Maybe I read too much into it though.

What I can't figure out is what is so bad about a 4 year old having a pair of Crocs or (god-forbid) flip flops.

What 4 yr old doesn't swim or go to the pool, lake, beach? Sneakers don't really work there do they?

So to say that you have no use whatsoever for a pair of Crocs or flip flops just doesn't make any sense to me.

Possibly everyone is reading too much into it instead of just taking this mother's post as a vent, everyone is telling her she is gready and everything else......seems everyone has something nasty to say!
I think because she may have known her daughter better than any of the responders.....she knew her daughter would not wear crocks or flip flops, as I would not LET my daughter wear them in an amusement park, and so she thought she would just get her daughter something she would enjoy!

People need to lighten up on this poor mother!

I am not sure if you are posting this to me, but I did not say that I had no use for a pair of crocks or flip flops. What I said was to lighten up on this mother because I would personally not let my daughter wear a pair of flip flops or crocks to walk around an amusement park all day! Disney is not a pool or beach!
I think this mother was just looking for a good place to vent her frustration and everyone read too much into it and is criticizing her instead of just saying wow, we are glad your daughter is okay and sorry you had this experience!

Just then the dream team member we were with popped out, but it was too late at night for anyone to really help us. I was livid! :mad: I wasn't looking for anything crazy. I would've eaten the cost of the shoe, since they had nothing for her to wear, to get her a doll she wanted. Not to mention, $25 doesn't even cover the cost of the nikey's the escalator ate, and it wasn't even enough to cover crocks! It would've cost me $10 if she wanted crocks. Anyway, there was nothing I could do that night so the next morning I went to WL concierge and told them what happened, I even showed them the shoe and they said go to the store, pick out the biggest Minnie and they would take care of it. They did. DD got her Minnie, but was without sneaks the rest of the week. Our magical moment with the dream team was definitely ruined...:sad2:

Facts: Escalator ate the shoe. They do that if you are not careful. Disney gave you a certificate. They didn't have to. It wasn't for what you wanted. But you got what you wanted in the end anyway.

Opinion: Disney didn't have to give you anything. They tried to replace a pair of shoes (difficult since they are not a shoe store). I'm sure they were thinking, "we can't let this little girl go shoeless!". I don't think they were thinking, "Let's let her go barefoot but give her a stuffed animal".

But the part I have the biggest problem with, is that you were "livid". Livid? About them trying to make a situation better? If I were at the mall and that happened, I would have to buy a pair of shoes out of my own pocket for my DD.

And then you get the Minnie you wanted but complained that DD had to go without sneakers the rest of the week? So it's Disney's fault that your DD had an accident and you didn't take a taxi to Walmart to get her sneakers? I'm sorry, but this is craziness.

I am not sure if you are posting this to me, but I did not say that I had no use for a pair of crocks or flip flops. What I said was to lighten up on this mother because I would personally not let my daughter wear a pair of flip flops or crocks to walk around an amusement park all day! Disney is not a pool or beach!
I think this mother was just looking for a good place to vent her frustration and everyone read too much into it and is criticizing her instead of just saying wow, we are glad your daughter is okay and sorry you had this experience!

I think the key word here is "ruined". I don't think she was just venting, as she was still so upset the next day. I can honestly say that if that would have happened to my familiy we would have been over it within the hour. Accidents happen, we would have bought a new pair of shoes and enjoyed the world.

I don't think this is a "simple matter" of wanting a new pair of tennis shoes for her daughter. If she was that determined to get a new pair of shoes, she wouldn't have attempted to buy a toy instead. The complaints seems to be more about the monetary value of the gift certificate. And yes, when you start complaining about the monetary value of something that was given for free and you attempt to get something other than what is actually needed...that sounds rather greedy. That's great for you if you choose not to let your child go without crocs or flipflops, but that's not really the point. The point it that it would be a very temporary fix until they could get back to their room or whatever to put another pair of shoes on. Perhaps I am reading too much into it as well...but when you're given something for free for something obviously needed and then you start to complain and try to use it for something completely different, that goes beyond "vent" to me.

And by the way, Disney is a theme park, not an amusement park. There's a difference. :)

I've posted before "just to vent" and while after many people bit my head off I still hadn't changed my mind, I realized that most of the world is not going to think the same way I do. Maybe the OP thought we'd all agree that a stuffed animal is appropriate pay out for a ruined sneaker. But, it would be like me venting because my child didn't get the teacher I requested and for me to go on and on about how important learning and education is and then in the last breath I comment about how the teacher I wanted was so much cuter then the one she got. In the end, it doesn't boil down to what I'm ranting about, but something altogether different.

So, magical moment ruined because why? Because the OP wasn't given the moon or stuffed plush in this case. Just very misunderstood, I guess.

Thank goodness the daughter is okay......and maybe there WAS something wrong with the escalator!!!!!.
Yes, thank goodness the girl is okay… and maybe the escalator-monster snuck up and latched onto the sneaker. Thousands of Guests used that escalator before and since the incident. If there were something wrong with IT, this girl would not have been the only one whose shoe was ‘eaten’. If, on the other hand – as it appears – the girl placed her foot too close to the side of the mechanism and, for example, her shoelace got caught, that is not only not Disney’s fault, it’s also not the fault of the escalator manufacturer.
Possibly everyone is reading too much into it instead of just taking this mother's post as a vent, everyone is telling her she is gready and everything else......seems everyone has something nasty to say!
I think because she may have known her daughter better than any of the responders.....she knew her daughter would not wear crocks or flip flops, as I would not LET my daughter wear them in an amusement park, and so she thought she would just get her daughter something she would enjoy!
Possibly everyone is reading into it is that the mother is greedy. There’s a difference between not liking something – which the OP claims is her daughter’s stance – and not wearing it. It makes a thousand times more sense to put SOME type of footwear on a child in a theme park, than to allow that child to proceed anywhere in said park in her stocking feet. If the daughter had had a stuffed animal ‘eaten’ by the escalator, would anyone – especially the CM – have thought that item could be replaced by footwear? Of course not.

*disgal* said:
Opinion: Disney didn't have to give you anything.
Actually, that’s not an opinion. It’s fact.

It's obvious that the OP isn't coming back to this thread ... at least not as jupers. So we're never going to get the answers we're looking for. Which is unfortunate, because I'd still like to know:

~ how much time the family spent in the parks after the accident, with their 4-year old child shoeless. And by that, I mean through the rest of the trip - the OP said her daughter wore socks the rest of the day of the accident and she went without tennis shoes for the rest of the trip.

~ why is this on the YOMD board, anyway? There's no dream involved.

I can agree with the PP who said something about coming to vent and then the responses weren't what she thought they'd be. The OP obviously thought that the largest Disney message board was full of people who would support her notion that Disney should have been "bending over backwards" (the OP's words) to help them (THEY DID) and that she should have been able to pick out a stuffed animal instead.

If it was that important that that the child get the stuffed animal, take the certificate, buy the replacement shoes and spend some of your own money to buy the stuffed animal.

112832Eaten_Croc1_Small_-med.JPG

It really does look like some one took a bite out of it!! I'm sure this isn't the case, but it sounds like the OP was trying to take advantage of an accident. I'm really glad that the little girl's ok. Too bad that this ruined the person's day. Although, I would have been pretty shaken up if that happened to me. Looks scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter