Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupers

DIS Veteran
On day 6, of our trip last week was DD's birthday. Had ressies for lunch at CRT so we took our time going to MK. CRT was great, totally worth it for DD. Next, we had to be at Epcot by 4 for DH's Divequest. He loved it!! If you have a scuba diver in the family he/she will love it. However, this is where it gets interesting...

While DH was diving my MIL and I asked a cast member a question. The CM took a liking to DD and took us to the Seas (where we were going) and turns out she was a dream team member. :wizard: She was going to get us on the Nemo ride and jump the line but the ride was down and she spent over an hour hanging out with us. I was hoping for fastpasses or something, but no luck. DD was enjoying talking to her. Anyway, we were with her and got on the escalator. We were just standing there and the escalator started to eat DD's shoe. I pulled DD's foot out of her shoe and smoke started coming out and plastic was flying and the dream team member pulled the shoe out. Thankfully, DD wasn't hurt, but her shoe was mangled. When we got to the bottom she had us go into turtle talk with crush and had DD do the introduction. She said she would come back with something to fix the shoe problem. After the show she came back and gave me a certificate for $25. At the time I said thank-you and we left. However, the fine print said it was "towards crocs or flip flops."

I had the certificate and we found DH. We told him all about it and showed him the mangled shoe. As we were leaving Epcot, I told DD to pick out a nice Minnie Doll. I was going to use the certificate for the doll since DD doesn't like crocs or flip flops. We went to the store and they said no. We headed over to guest relations and they were like that's all you're getting. I tried to explain that what they gave me didn't even replace what was now gone. Just then the dream team member we were with popped out, but it was too late at night for anyone to really help us. I was livid! :mad: I wasn't looking for anything crazy. I would've eaten the cost of the shoe, since they had nothing for her to wear, to get her a doll she wanted. Not to mention, $25 doesn't even cover the cost of the nikey's the escalator ate, and it wasn't even enough to cover crocks! It would've cost me $10 if she wanted crocks. Anyway, there was nothing I could do that night so the next morning I went to WL concierge and told them what happened, I even showed them the shoe and they said go to the store, pick out the biggest Minnie and they would take care of it. They did. DD got her Minnie, but was without sneaks the rest of the week. Our magical moment with the dream team was definitely ruined...:sad2:

I would write to WDW, explain what happened, and include a photo of the shoe and it's mate for comparison if at all possible. WDW should offer to pay for/replace the shoes at minimum. This incident could have resulted in a very severe injury. Escalators can and do eat toes just as easily as shoes. The CM and the manager obviously did not understand the seriousness of what happened. No responsible facilities manager would accept the escalator eating a shoe as just routine. As someone responsible for building maintenance myself, I can tell you that if such an entrapment event was reported to me, I would honestly have shut the escalator down until I could have had someone ascertain that there was nothing mechanically wrong with the combplate, risers, sideskirts, brushes, etc that could have contributed to the incident.

FWIW, your magical moment may have been ruined, but your quick action(getting DD's foot out of the shoe) may well have saved her from losing a few toes. Kudo's to you for your heads-up response.

Thanks. I didn't want to put in another claim, because we had another incident that I do have a claim in for. When we switched resorts I left my cell phone charging in the room we checked out of. Within an hour of checking out I realized it and called but the phone disappeared. I can't help but think that Mousekeeping took it. I did file a claim for that. Basically, I'm not too happy with Disney customer service at this point, which makes me sad.

I just think that considering what happened, not to mention what could've happened, with a dream team witness, people should've been bending over backwards to help us. My DD literally went without shoes for the day. Even at La Cellier she was in socks.

Thanks. I didn't want to put in another claim, because we had another incident that I do have a claim in for. When we switched resorts I left my cell phone charging in the room we checked out of. Within an hour of checking out I realized it and called but the phone disappeared. I can't help but think that Mousekeeping took it. I did file a claim for that. Basically, I'm not too happy with Disney customer service at this point, which makes me sad.

I just think that considering what happened, not to mention what could've happened, with a dream team witness, people should've been bending over backwards to help us. My DD literally went without shoes for the day. Even at La Cellier she was in socks.

Well, both mousekeeping and WDW in general ain't what it used to be - prepare for incoming fire;) Mousekeeping is being contracted out to outside vendors at some of the WDW hotels now, and lets face it, most tourism related jobs including WDW are very low wage. My personal experience is that Orlando and to some degree all of Florida, even though tourism is its largest industry, has some of the worst service and most dishonest tourism employees of any of the places we've travelled.

The silver lining in all this is the 10 toes your daughter still has. Shoes and cell phones wind up in the trash after two years anyway.

Just a question. How did she walk around the rest of the day without shoes? Not being negative here, but why didn't you just get her the crocs or flip flops so that she would have at least had something to wear on her feet? Thankfully, your daughter was fine. We just returned last week also. Our dd fell in the bathroom at Columbia Harbour House. There was a small amount of water on the floor. She fell flat on her back and was crying. After I picked her up and calmed her down. I went to speak to a manager to tell her what happened and to get a wet floor sign on the floor. She came back about 10 minutes later and gave my daughter a certificate for $50. It also specified for a shirt and shorts.

Just a question. How did she walk around the rest of the day without shoes? Not being negative here, but why didn't you just get her the crocs or flip flops so that she would have at least had something to wear on her feet? Thankfully, your daughter was fine. We just returned last week also. Our dd fell in the bathroom at Columbia Harbour House. There was a small amount of water on the floor. She fell flat on her back and was crying. After I picked her up and calmed her down. I went to speak to a manager to tell her what happened and to get a wet floor sign on the floor. She came back about 10 minutes later and gave my daughter a certificate for $50. It also specified for a shirt and shorts.

I'm wondering the same thing. The Dream Team CM gave you that certificate to "replace" your daughter's footwear so she wouldn't have to walk around barefoot for the rest of the day. IIRC, crocs and flip flops can be found at many park gift shops, so that might have been why she specified those on the certificate. If it were me, I would have bought my daughter some shoes, then made sure I got the DTCM's name, and then complained to guest services at EPCOT about the escaltor ripping her shoe and how to go about notifying the appropriate people.

During our MGM Day during our 2004 trip, I was riding TOT and after I got off the ride, DH noticed gum on the back of my shirt. Someone must have been chewing it and it fell out of their mouth during the drop :eek: and it got on my shirt. I leaned back and it got ground in. The CM at TGMR noticed it as well, and he gave me a certificate for a new shirt, to replace the one that was ruined. The certificate said "any shirt." They are trying to replace the item so you can continue to enjoy your park day. I didn't think I should be able to get anything else but a shirt.

That said, I am happy that your DD wasn't hurt and I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your day and visit. Escaltors can be a hazzard with little kids, so I am anal about watching my kids like a hawk on them and making sure they are in the middle of the step and I help them get on and off. I hope WDW addresses your concerns, and if you are lucky, will send you the $$$ for the sneakers.

People keep asking why I didn't just get her crocs...The reason I didn't is because I didn't want to spend $10 of my own $ to get her shoes she would never wear again. (Crocs are more than $25). While some people love crocs, her and I don't. Fortunately, we had the stroller and she didn't literally walk barefoot, she rode in that without shoes for the rest of the night. That being said I was ok with eating the shoe $, buying some when we got home and letting her get a Minnie. My point is that it seems poor form to me to offer $ to replace something and it's not even enough to replace it. As far as flip flops go DD is 4 and finds them uncomfortable I saw no reason to get shoes she didn't want. Also, as far as I am concerned crocs and flip-flops are no replacement for Nike sneakers...:confused3

I don't see why it's Disney's fault that the escalator ate her shoe. It happens all the time at malls and everything. There's websites devoted to it.

I was taught to be very careful on escalator's and be aware of where I was standing.

It's a horrible experience and I'm glad Disney did something for you even if it didn't work out, but I just can't balme Disney for it.

The maximum anyone in the park (Guest Relations included) can compensate you for is $25 at any given time. After that, you're going to be directed to Guest Claims (which I assume you were). All you can do is contact them and provide them with all the pertinent informaton.

I understand what the OP is trying to say, the crocs would have cost her an additional amount over the certificate she was given. And I understand that flip flops are not comfortable to everyone. I'm not sure if the incident was Disney's fault, but if they were going to offer to replace the shoes they should have made sure they covered the entire cost, IMHO.

When ds was 8 he lost his shoe getting onto the POTC. I had been after him all day to keep that shoe tied, when we went to get on the boat it fell into the water. The CM running the ride just laughed about it, so I just thought it was a loss. While trying to find him something else to wear another CM directed us to Town Hall, saying that they would help us. After explaining to another CM there what had happened we were taken to the large shop at the front of Main St and given a certificate. There was no dollar amount specified and ds ended up with a pair of Buzz Lightyear sneakers. In no way was Disney at fault for my ds losing his shoe, it should have been tied, I should have made sure of it.

Vemnox- That is not correct. My daughter was given a cerificate for $50, it specified shirt and short. I honestly thought it was nice of them to offer the certificate to us. I actually refused at first because it was already 9:00 pm. She said to take it and go buy her another outfit for another day then! She was very nice. But, even if the certificate had only been enough to buy her a shirt only, I wouldn't have complained. ;)

Sad story but would also agree that the spoiled dream was the lesser of 2 evils as your quick thinking prevented the Year Of Many Medical Nightmares.

No one said anything to you about your daughter not wearing shoes? How old is she? I would think that shoes are a requirement for walking around the parks, unless your child is very young.

I'd also look at it from this perspective ~ your DD is lucky she wasn't seriously injured and you weren't out much money to replace the shoes. $10 seems like a negligible amount of $$ in the grand scheme of things. JMO.

No one said anything to you about your daughter not wearing shoes? How old is she? I would think that shoes are a requirement for walking around the parks, unless your child is very young.

She said that she was in a stroller for the day, so I'd think that 1) She IS young and 2) she clearly wasn't walking around the parks.:)

She said that she was in a stroller for the day, so I'd think that 1) She IS young and 2) she clearly wasn't walking around the parks.:)

My daughter has been in a stroller at WDW at 3 and 4 years old, which is old enough to stand in line & walk around... and old enough to be wearing shoes in the parks, IMO.

Vemnox- That is not correct. My daughter was given a cerificate for $50, it specified shirt and short. I honestly thought it was nice of them to offer the certificate to us. I actually refused at first because it was already 9:00 pm. She said to take it and go buy her another outfit for another day then! She was very nice. But, even if the certificate had only been enough to buy her a shirt only, I wouldn't have complained. ;)

Tinkerbelle - It is correct, trust me. Possibly you spoke with a member of upper management who has override authority on this but I can assure you of the stipulations as I mentioned about.

I don't see why it's Disney's fault that the escalator ate her shoe. It happens all the time at malls and everything. There's websites devoted to it.

I was taught to be very careful on escalator's and be aware of where I was standing.

It's a horrible experience and I'm glad Disney did something for you even if it didn't work out, but I just can't balme Disney for it.

You cant be serious! Its is 100% Disney's fault. Its Disney's escalator in Disney's building on Disney's property.

Sure its great that her daughter wasn't hurt, but that's not the point. She should have been compensated at least for a pair of shoes and also for the time she wastes going to buy another pair.

The OP and her DD don't like Crocs, why should she have to buy a pair? They should have given her enough money to replace the Nike shoes that were damaged due to the "shoe-eating escalator."

You cant be serious! Its is 100% Disney's fault. Its Disney's escalator in Disney's building on Disney's property.

Sure its great that her daughter wasn't hurt, but that's not the point. She should have been compensated at least for a pair of shoes and also for the time she wastes going to buy another pair.

The OP and her DD don't like Crocs, why should she have to buy a pair? They should have given her enough money to replace the Nike shoes that were damaged due to the "shoe-eating escalator."

I agree. And am shocked at how quickly members are judging the OP. I would not have purchased the Crocs if they are more expensive and I wouldn't have bought flip flops because my child can't wear them w/ out tripping all over the place. I think it was handled incorrectly and I am sorry about your troubles.

I have to disagree with the majority here--although of course, it's just my opinion.;) I think it was nice of Disney to offer anything. How is it "100% Disney's" fault that her DD got her foot caught in the escalator? No offense to the OP, but people ride these things all day long all over the world. Is Disney responsible for everyone at their parks who trips, falls, etc. just by the mere fact that they're in Disney? If it happened somewhere else, would everyone be just as "outraged".

If it were my dd that happened to, I'd be grateful they offered anything, never mind complain about it. It was the OP's CHOICE not to replace the shoes with crocs or flipflops. What if I am only comfortable wearing $200 shoes? Is it Disney's responsibility to replace THEM?

Sorry, OP, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear...but again it's JMO.:confused3

First of all, I am glad that your daughter did not get injured during the escalator incident and you have now made me more concious for our upcoming trip. I can understand your frustration but at least they did try to make it right.

Last year we were also in EPCOT when our DS 1 lost his sandles. We went to the lost and found and were told none had been turned in yet but that the last pick up for the night would be at 12 since it was an EMH night. Anyways, the kids were exhausted and we asked if we could call and have them held, well at this point the CM in Guest Relations became rude and almost accusatory. "It wasn't his fault we didn't make our kid keep his sandles on" I was so mad we just left and I fumed all the way back to the WL. We went to our room and put the kids to bed. I was still mad, all I wanted to do was call and if they were there ask them to hold them till opening the next day so I could come get them. Instead I would now need to wait till they arrived at the central lost & found and then retrieve them there. (I realize now that is not diffucult but didn't know it then) Anyways, I finally decided I needed to say my peace about the rude CM so I marched to the concierge desk in my jammies and said my peace. (in my nicest, I'm not mad at you just the situation voice) The CM kindly apologized, insisted that a $20 credit be placed on our bill so I could go get sandles for the next day. (I wasn't looking for them to pay, it was our fault the sandles got lost in the first place) Anyways, the next day we get back from MK and in our room were two huge baskets of fruits, cheeses, crackers, cookies...you name it it was there along with a really nice note from Guest Services. It wasn't shoes but it sure made the whole thing feel better.

On the final day of our vacation, the shoes finally did show up at L&F. We were able to retrieve them just before we left for the airport.

The moral to this long story? Someone at Disney does care, sometimes it's just not the person helping YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter