• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have a fear of escalators. When my children were young we either held them or when they were too big for that we held their hands and helped them on and off because a little foot can get caught if it's not in the right spot. That sounds like an accident that could happen on any escalator. The MOST important thing in this whole thread is that the child wasn't hurt. A shoe can be replaced. I think the CM did what she could. Wanted the child to have shoes, the kind that are available at WDW.

I cannot believe how nasty everyone has come!!!!

Having worked in claims for many years I would like to say something, if a company is responsible for the destruction of an item they are responsible to replace it. If the company cannot replace the original item adequately-which they could not-they are required to monetarily compensate you for the damages of the loss. I in no way should be grateful they offered an amount that doesn't even cover the cost of the sneakers, it is THEIR responsibility. I was also not looking for a damn free trip to Orlando! Whether I was in Disney or my local mall I would expect the same thing. I think it's horrific that many of you have assumed I'm seeking pain and suffering etc...To respond to some of your other comments...

1. The dream team (or squad) member did not save DD's foot-I DID!!
2. Crocs in no way replace Nike sneakers
3. As far as choosing to get DD a doll as opposed to a pair of shoes she HATES-that is my choice-THE POINT IS WHAT THEY OFFERED DIDN'T EVEN COVER SHOES!!!

As far as my phone goes I would love to see if you would just "let it go" that you left something in your room and within the hour it disappeared.

I wonder if this happened at your local mall, would you react the same way, or are the majority believe that Disney is infallible?!

I wonder if this happened at your local mall, would you react the same way, or are the majority believe that Disney is infallible?!

I'd contact the escalator company.

Was your daughter forward facing on the escalator when the incident happened? What part of the shoe was damaged?

She was facing forward holding my hand on her best behavior because we had the CM with us. The side of her shoe got sucked in and plastic started shooting up.Thank you for asking...

I probably could contact the escalator company, but it's over and done and WL saw to it that I was compensated, even if it was $10 less than the cost of the shoe.

I cannot believe how nasty everyone has come!!!!

Having worked in claims for many years I would like to say something, if a company is responsible for the destruction of an item they are responsible to replace it.

I think (with the exception of one poster:rolleyes: ) that no one has been nasty.

Also, I still don't see how Disney is "responsible" for your daughter's shoe getting caught in the escalator. And no, I don't think Disney is infallible. I do, however, think your expectations are unrealistic. JMO, of course.

Did you have a receipt for the shoe? In your opinion, what would have been fair compensation? And why do you think you deserve compensation in the first place? Just curious.:confused3

Thank you for not being nasty, I think more than one person has been.

Disney is responsible for the shoe because Disney is responsible for the escalator that ate the shoe. Since escalators don't just eat shoes then something must be wrong with their maintenance or equipment.

Fair compensation would've been the $35 the shoes cost me the day before I left for vacation. There was virtually no "wear and tear" on them yet.

A similar situation might be if you rented a stroller at Disney and the stroller fell apart while pushing it (there was no horseplay you were just walking along) and thankfully your child wasn't hurt but your brand new property was wouldn't you do something?

We had a croc eaten on one of the escalators at the CR this past April. We were given a $35 credit to our room.

She was facing forward holding my hand on her best behavior because we had the CM with us. The side of her shoe got sucked in and plastic started shooting up.Thank you for asking...

I probably could contact the escalator company, but it's over and done and WL saw to it that I was compensated, even if it was $10 less than the cost of the shoe.

You were also compensated at Epcot, but it sounds like you refused it because it was not good enough for you.

Again, it sounds like you met a lovely Dream Squad Cast Member who made some magic for you! How exciting to start Turtle Talk with Crush! Did she love it? I hope you write a praise letter for that Cast Member who went out of her way to compensate you, she really did everything in her power to help:) !

Hopefully your issue isn't with this great cast member.

A similar situation might be if you rented a stroller at Disney and the stroller fell apart while pushing it (there was no horseplay you were just walking along) and thankfully your child wasn't hurt but your brand new property was wouldn't you do something?

I think that's different, however. If I was pushing a stroller and it just fell apart, then it was obviously faulty to some degree and would've fallen apart had anyone been pushing it. I have ridden escalators probably thousands of times without incident and it sounds like no one else had received any damages on this same escalator so therefore the escalator itself was not faulty. I'm not saying your dd was to blame (I don't think anyone/thing is to blame) but that maybe her foot wasn't lifted high enough, etc. -- not because the escalator ate it.

I don't intend to be argumentative, but just rather trying to make a point.

Disney did what they could to replace your shoes. No one here would say that Disney has a wide selection of footwear. They are not a shoe store. They offered what they were able to to replace your daughter's shoes. And instead you opt for getting a doll.:confused3 You were entitled to shoes, not a doll. I don't see how the purchase of a doll would in any way make up for the lack of footwear.

As someone else posted, Disney tries, to the best of their ability, to replace the item that was damaged. The coupons they hand out are not meant to be used to purchase souvineers. The idea was to replace your daughter's shoes so she could walk around the park the rest of the day.

Please tell me you kept the shoes and can post a pic? I really do not see how an escalator "ate" a shoe, unless the shoe was untied.

Disney did what they could to replace your shoes. No one here would say that Disney has a wide selection of footwear. They are not a shoe store. They offered what they were able to to replace your daughter's shoes. And instead you opt for getting a doll.:confused3 You were entitled to shoes, not a doll. I don't see how the purchase of a doll would in any way make up for the lack of footwear.

As someone else posted, Disney tries, to the best of their ability, to replace the item that was damaged. The coupons they hand out are not meant to be used to purchase souvineers. The idea was to replace your daughter's shoes so she could walk around the park the rest of the day.

See this is why I love the DIS. While everyone may not agree with my opinion, its nice to be able to comunicate and discuss our sides without being nasty. I personally feel that Disney is responsible but others do not, and I respect that.

Question: If the Crocs cost $35 and Disney only gave her $25, how is that replacing her shoes? Now I can understand Disney only wanting her to buy shoes, but that wasn't enough money to buy a new pair. Am i missing something?

Thank you for not being nasty, I think more than one person has been.

Disney is responsible for the shoe because Disney is responsible for the escalator that ate the shoe. Since escalators don't just eat shoes then something must be wrong with their maintenance or equipment.

Fair compensation would've been the $35 the shoes cost me the day before I left for vacation. There was virtually no "wear and tear" on them yet.

actually, escalator accidents aren't all that uncommon... unfortunately, they do happen more than people probably realize. click here to read more

Disney did offer to compensate you for the shoes. You chose not to accept it. IMO, it would have been more appropriate to as at guest relations for the coupon to state $25 on any shoes because your DD doesn't like crocs.

Did you have other shoes with you? Was your DD barefoot the rest of the trip?

See this is why I love the DIS. While everyone may not agree with my opinion, its nice to be able to comunicate and discuss our sides without being nasty. I personally feel that Disney is responsible but others do not, and I respect that.

Question: If the Crocs cost $35 and Disney only gave her $25, how is that replacing her shoes? Now I can understand Disney only wanting her to buy shoes, but that wasn't enough money to buy a new pair. Am i missing something?

Vemnox stated earlier that a cast member in this position is only allowed to compensate up to $25. It's a black and white rule. She did all she could. Another poster suggested that this could be taken care of by making a claim

Please tell me you kept the shoes and can post a pic? I really do not see how an escalator "ate" a shoe, unless the shoe was untied.

I agree. If the escalator was malfunctioning they would have closed it for repair. It doesn't seem as anyone in front of or behind the Op and family had any problems. The side of a shoe shouldn't be anywhere that it can be "eaten" unless the foot is improperly placed which can easily happen with kids or a shoelace getting caught might draw the shoe in to where the plastic could get damaged. I worked in a department store for many years and saw many types of escalator accidents happen. To my knowledge nobody ever blamed the escalator. I am very sorry that this happened to this little girl but glad she was ok. I'm not trying to be nasty but I just truly don't know how a free doll was the remedy for this situation. Shoes, whether liked or not, even if worn once were the solution.

I agree. If the escalator was malfunctioning they would have closed it for repair. It doesn't seem as anyone in front of or behind the Op and family had any problems. The side of a shoe shouldn't be anywhere that it can be "eaten" unless the foot is improperly placed which can easily happen with kids or a shoelace getting caught might draw the shoe in to where the plastic could get damaged. I worked in a department store for many years and saw many types of escalator accidents happen. To my knowledge nobody ever blamed the escalator. I am very sorry that this happened to this little girl but glad she was ok. I'm not trying to be nasty but I just truly don't know how a free doll was the remedy for this situation. Shoes, whether liked or not, even if worn once were the solution.

:thumbsup2 Not only was the free doll not the remedy(although I would have been so happy that my DD was ok that I would have bought her the biggest Minnie doll I could find, with my own money), it was not their responsibility. Being Disney, they tried to make an unfortunate situation better by offering her some footwear but that was not good enough. IMO, I am not sure it ever is for some.

OP,

I'm sorry about your incident but very glad that all toes are ok! Thankfully, we had no injuries either. I wasn't going to report our accident, but when we returned to the BW, I went to the front desk to ask if we needed to fill out a form or something. I just wanted to let someone know in case the escalator at CR broke down...at least they would know the cause was the front end of a Croc. The BW manager almost freaked out. Apologizing, asking if DD was ok, etc. Then he said go get a pair from the gift shop and bring the receipt and we'll reimburse you. I told him that was not necessary, but we insisted. He said, "come on, let's go to the gift shop." The one near the front desk didn't have Crocs, so he said "I'm just gonna put a $35 credit on your room, buy them if go to DTD." And he quickly scadaddled away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter