• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand OP not wanting to buy crocs or flipflops, but I am sure had she just explained that to the store personnel she could have gotten that $ to a pair of shoes. We have bought some great buzz and princess shoes at the parks for less than $25 and they were some of the most comfortable shoes my kids wore. It was OP choice not to get the shoes, but to get a minnie instead. She has her daughter's feet intact (BIG BONUS), a big minnie, and still got to do everything they wanted that day in the park when they could have spent it at the ER.
Just me, if you go through life expecting nothing free you are always happy when you get something good!

I have to disagree with the majority here--although of course, it's just my opinion.;) I think it was nice of Disney to offer anything. How is it "100% Disney's" fault that her DD got her foot caught in the escalator? No offense to the OP, but people ride these things all day long all over the world. Is Disney responsible for everyone at their parks who trips, falls, etc. just by the mere fact that they're in Disney? If it happened somewhere else, would everyone be just as "outraged".

If it were my dd that happened to, I'd be grateful they offered anything, never mind complain about it. It was the OP's CHOICE not to replace the shoes with crocs or flipflops. What if I am only comfortable wearing $200 shoes? Is it Disney's responsibility to replace THEM?

Sorry, OP, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear...but again it's JMO.:confused3

I agree wholeheartedly with you and the title to this post bothers me. It is so wonderful that OPs daughter was not injured in anyway and I would feel like that was the most Magical moment at the time. So the other Magical Moment was ruined because she doesn't like Crocs or flip flops??? This is an example of someone trying to do the right thing in WDW and it never being enough. If the escalator was in proper working condition then why is it at all a responsibility of WDW to provide new shoes? Accidents do happen and they tried to help. I just think that the expectations at WDW are so high for some that they can never be satisfied. Lastly, I want to emphasize that I am very glad that the little girl is well and no harm was done to her.

I think that the fact they even offered anything shows they care. They tried to get your DD shoes for the day and i doubt they sell nike trainers in the park. if this happened to me i'd be grateful of the voucher.

You cant be serious! Its is 100% Disney's fault. Its Disney's escalator in Disney's building on Disney's property.
A normally-operating escalator (which this one apparently was, given that no shoe or body part got caught in it prior to the OP’s daughter’s sneaker – would tend not to ‘catch’ a standard shoe, e.g. one where the toe of the sole curves slightly up vs. flat on the ground, on its own. It would tend to need help from the shoe itself.

No offense to the OP, but people ride these things all day long all over the world. Is Disney responsible for everyone at their parks who trips, falls, etc. just by the mere fact that they're in Disney? If it happened somewhere else, would everyone be just as "outraged".
I have a major fear of escalators (a fear so unique, there is not a phobia named for it (I checked). When I was about five, and going down an escalator holding my grandmother’s hand, she passed out, and we BOTH fell to the bottom of the escalator. I didn’t get on one again for about fifteen years, and I’m still VERY careful getting on and off… anyway, my point: that fall wasn’t the store’s fault, it wasn’t even my grandmother’s ‘fault’ (it was my mom’s, for making me visit grandma…). Of course, society was exponentially less litigious back then…

What kind of shoes were ruined? I know the OP said they were Nike shoes... but were they tennis shoes or sandals? Maybe the CM thought she was replacing a similar style shoe with the offer of a flip flop/croc?

Vemnox- No need to get upset about it! I'm only stating what happened with our daughter last week. I honestly don't think she was upper managment, just in charge of the restaurant. We were very happy to get our voucher! I think some people expect everything out of Disney, just because they are Disney. A pair of shoes were ruined and they offered to buy another pair of shoes. What more could you want?

She said that she was in a stroller for the day, so I'd think that 1) She IS young and 2) she clearly wasn't walking around the parks.:)

I dd some checking:
The OP's daughter is 4. And, it's a requirement in the Disney parks to wear a shirt and shoes.

I think it was wonderfully kind and thoughtful for the Dream Squad Cast Member to replace the damaged item! That is exactly what disney service is! Kudos to that Cast Member for trying to correct that situation. That's exactly what Disney service should be!

I'm not sure what the problem is.

I think it was wonderfully kind and thoughtful for the Dream Squad Cast Member to replace the damaged item! That is exactly what disney service is! Kudos to that Cast Member for trying to correct that situation. That's exactly what Disney service should be!

I'm not sure what the problem is.

The whole problem here is that the shoes were NOT replaced. The OP had to pay an additional $10 for a pair of Crocs or sandals that her DD did not like. How is that replacing them?

Apparently the escalator was not operating normally beacuse it ruined the Op's DD shoes. Whenever i get on escalators my shoes always remain intact.

The OP isn't asking for too much to have her Nike shoes replaced, considering it was Disney's escalator that ate them.:confused3

The whole problem here is that the shoes were NOT replaced. The OP had to pay an additional $10 for a pair of Crocs or sandals that her DD did not like. How is that replacing them?

Apparently the escalator was not operating normally beacuse it ruined the Op's DD shoes. Whenever i get on escalators my shoes always remain intact.

The OP isn't asking for too much to have her Nike shoes replaced, considering it was Disney's escalator that ate them.:confused3

She didn't want the Nikes replaced, she wanted a Minnie doll.

I think it was fair to offer a gift certificate for shoes to replace a shoe. It appears to me it was offered to help replace what was damaged not to go shopping and buy whatever in the store was wanted. That seems to be what the OP is upset about.

I think you are overreacting. It is silly to think your dream experiences was ruined, it was only ruined because you made it so. If you had just taken the certificate, paid an extra $10 for the crocs she could of had shoes for 1 day and been happy (who knows, maybe your DD would have LOVED some mickey crocs). If you didn't want the crocs then you did not have to use the certificate at all and left it at that. WDW does not sell Nikes, so the CM gave you a credit towards a pair of shoes they do sell. You should consider yourself lucky for even having that CM around to help you out. Things happen, and I tend to find more and more people expect things to be handed to them on a gold platter at WDW. Your experience is what you make of it.

She didn't want the Nikes replaced, she wanted a Minnie doll.

I think it was fair to offer a gift certificate for shoes to replace a shoe. It appears to me it was offered to help replace what was damaged not to go shopping and buy whatever in the store was wanted. That seems to be what the OP is upset about.

I couldn't agree more. There is such a lack of accountability in this country it is not even funny. Accidents happen every day, everywhere: even at the happiest place on earth. I think WDW did a good deed in trying to replace the shoe that got ruined by accident.

Sorry I agree with this. People tend to have such a sense of entitlement. I think this is where our over rection to suing people comes from and this just sounds to me like it belongs in that catagory. Additionally, the phone thing is rediculous. You left your phone in the room and you expect them to replace it? Or better yet, just give you the amount of money you thought it shouold cost so you can buy a boat? That's about as much sense as this whole distroyed dreams story.

But the escalator didn’t ruin the shoes of any of the other hundreds or thousands of Guests who used it that day, or the day before, or the day after, or any day before or since (yes, I know – as far as we know, remembering not everyone knows about the DISBoards). I’m thinking you’d have to be almost scuffing your feet, or have an untied shoelace, or something, for anything to get caught in the escalator.

hmmm, let's see if I have this straight (I'll be sure to use bullet points to enhance the reading experience):

*A member of the dream team (wait, THE dream team?! was it Magic Johnson? Michael Jordan? Charles Barkley?) was nice enough to spend some time to talk to you and your child. Not sure if the dream team is allowed to do that. Maybe it was the dream squad.

*While riding on the escalator, your child's shoe turned into a raging inferno of death.

*The cast member, having amazing cat-like reflexes and instincts, removed the child/shoe from the Escalator from Hades.

*The cast member did everything he/she was empowered to do, which was replace the shoe with a coupon for a replacement item (Disney sells croc and flip flops, so this was the only option at the time).

*Unfortunately, a pair of Crocs cost $35, and the value of the coupon is only $25.

*Instead of paying the extra $10 (which is the cost of a turkey leg and a coke, by the way), you get the child a plush doll instead, leaving your child still shoeless.

If you had the Escalator from Hades eat your child's shoe while not with a cast member, all you would have gotten was a few laughs from those around you. Fortunately, you just happened to be with a cast member at the time, and he/she did everything they could to help the situation. And yet your magical moment was "ruined".

MY SOLUTION:
Take your little plush doll. Rip it in half. Buy some duct tape (WARNING! It may cost you $10). Put one half of the doll on one of your child's feet, and the other half of the plush on the other foot. And shazaam, your child still gets their little plush (which wasn't supposed to be a part of the recovery to begin with), and still has some soft footwear for the rest of their stay.

And since this is one of those message board things, I suppose i should add one of those cute smiley things...here you go :cheer2:

hmmm, let's see if I have this straight (I'll be sure to use bullet points to enhance the reading experience):

*A member of the dream team (wait, THE dream team?! was it Magic Johnson? Michael Jordan? Charles Barkley?) was nice enough to spend some time to talk to you and your child. Not sure if the dream team is allowed to do that. Maybe it was the dream squad.

*While riding on the escalator, your child's shoe turned into a raging inferno of death.

*The cast member, having amazing cat-like reflexes and instincts, removed the child/shoe from the Escalator from Hades.

*The cast member did everything he/she was empowered to do, which was replace the shoe with a coupon for a replacement item (Disney sells croc and flip flops, so this was the only option at the time).

*Unfortunately, a pair of Crocs cost $35, and the value of the coupon is only $25.

*Instead of paying the extra $10 (which is the cost of a turkey leg and a coke, by the way), you get the child a plush doll instead, leaving your child still shoeless.

If you had the Escalator from Hades eat your child's shoe while not with a cast member, all you would have gotten was a few laughs from those around you. Fortunately, you just happened to be with a cast member at the time, and he/she did everything they could to help the situation. And yet your magical moment was "ruined".

MY SOLUTION:
Take your little plush doll. Rip it in half. Buy some duct tape (WARNING! It may cost you $10). Put one half of the doll on one of your child's feet, and the other half of the plush on the other foot. And shazaam, your child still gets their little plush (which wasn't supposed to be a part of the recovery to begin with), and still has some soft footwear for the rest of their stay.

And since this is one of those message board things, I suppose i should add one of those cute smiley things...here you go :cheer2:

My personal experience is that Orlando and to some degree all of Florida, even though tourism is its largest industry, has some of the worst service and most dishonest tourism employees of any of the places we've travelled.QUOTE]

Question: why do you come back?

some people see the glass as 1/2 full and others see it as half empty..

Last time I was there, which was not even a year ago, DisneyWorld did not have Nikes for sale. So saying that Disney was not trying to replace the ruined shoes is not fair. Instead of taking the $25 that was offered and buying her child some footwear, she decides a doll is more in order. And has a fit when they don't want to let her use her footwear certificate to get one. And this is a problem? :confused3 What on earth would you expect them to do? Run down to the nearest Nike outlet and bring her back some shoes? Disney tried to help and the OP decided to use this incident to her advantage. I don't think Disney did anything wrong, the OP on the other hand has proven that no good dead goes unpunished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter