Over the River and Through the Woods to Mickey's House We Go! And Grandma is in Tow!

Day Four of our trip is what we like to call a "down day". It's a day where we don't really have a plan. That way, we can do whatever we want when we want. This trip, I have two "down days" scheduled.

I think we'll probably sleep in on this day and maybe go for a swim in the main pool. I'm not sure if we'll use our counter service credit for breakfast or an early lunch.

Hunter is just dying to try out the new pool. We didn't even swim in the main pool last year because it was busy and we were constantly on the go. And, we also went to the water park last trip so swimming at the resort wasn't really top priority.

Every year before we leave for the trip, Mama asks us if we are going to rent a surrey bike. We've done it three out of the four times we have stayed there and it's always a highlight of our stay. I know for sure that we'll rent a surrey bike and day four may just be the day to do it. I can't wait to get Mama on one. I think we'll put her in the driver's seat so she can do the brakes and ring the bell if somebody gets in her way.

Last year we rented a surrey bike and had the best time. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long long time. As we were flying down the hill my flip flop got caught on the pedal, flew over my shoulder and right out the back of the bike. It was hilarious! When I got off to go get it, my wonderful loving family drove off without me:

DSCN1836.jpg

See 'em acting so casual about pedaling off without me!

When I got closer, they stopped and then started leaving me again before I could ever get on. It reminded me of those "Messin' with Sasquatch" commercials. If you don't know what I am talking about go to this link:
http://www.messinwithsasquatch.com/ and click on watch commercials and then click on 2007. It's funny!

Movin' on: Don't buy into those sweet smiling faces. There's sneakiness behind those smiles.

DSCN1837.jpg

We have a 5:30 p.m. ADR at Planet Hollywood and will use our $15.00 vouchers there. I know that Mama will probably not have to pay much out of her pocket when she uses the $15.00 voucher. We, on the other hand, will but that's okay because we're saving this night's table service credit and combining it with another night so we can go to the luau.

After eating at Planet Hollywood, we'll over to the store and get our free souvenir which, if I am remembering correctly from last year, was a keychain. You think I'm not going to go get it? I certainly am! I paid for it, I'm getting it.:upsidedow

Once we've gotten our el cheapo souvenir, we'll start walking around Downtown Disney to get a little shopping on. My two favorites are World of Disney (as if it couldn't be a favorite) and Mickey Mart (as if a bargain hunter could pass it up).

Nothing else really planned for the evening. Up next: Day 5

Lisa, the photo of the kids and John on the surrey bike cracks me up every time. This is SO MUCH like what Mark and the boys would do.

We have never done Planet Hollywood...those end up in the trash when we get home (not a big fan...we have one in Chicago and we went to the one in Vegas and we found the food mediocre to say the least). I think last year I even gave out my PH free gift to a family who had two kids so they could each get one (they walked in separately).

Lisa, the photo of the kids and John on the surrey bike cracks me up every time. This is SO MUCH like what Mark and the boys would do.

We have never done Planet Hollywood...those end up in the trash when we get home (not a big fan...we have one in Chicago and we went to the one in Vegas and we found the food mediocre to say the least). I think last year I even gave out my PH free gift to a family who had two kids so they could each get one (they walked in separately).

The shoe flying incident was one of the stories we told Jesse this weekend. I can't help but laugh every time I think about it.

I am not a super big fan of Planet Hollywood but we really wanted to work in both the luau and Hoop Dee Doo. The best way was to use the $15 towards a meal at Planet Hollywood and save that night's credit.

I ended up giving the keychain to a co-worker last year.

Day Five will be a day spent at Animal Kingdom! I love the Animal Kingdom. John is just so-so about it. I like to take the park slowly and savor the details of the park.

100_2306.jpg

100_2307.jpg

I am sure that we'll head straight to Kilimanjaro Safari as will be lots of other people. Hopefully, though, some will be headed to Expedition Everest instead of the safari.

I love love love the safari. The only thing that I don't like about it is the old "let's save Little Red" storyline. It could use some changing up.

100_2309.jpg

100_2315.jpg

Once we are done with the safari, I'm sure we'll walk through Pangani Rain Forest so we can see these guys:

100_2351.jpg

I'll definitely want to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch and search for Hidden Mickey's. It's one of our favorite things to do.

100_2364.jpg

100_2366.jpg

***Okay, I need to stop here. The boss is back in the office and he's already destroyed his desk!:scared1:

We really need to go by Rafiki's Planet Watch on our next trip! I was there the year AK opened and haven't been back to it. We've taken the kids to AK on both of our family trips to the World, but have yet to make it there! Love doing new things with the kids on each trip!

Mike and I have talked about renting a surrey bike for the last 2 trips but never have. Maybe we'll do that this time. It looks like fun!

Glad you had a good visit with Lacey!

It sounds like you had a great visit with Lacey! Your trip sounds wonderful so far:goodvibes

Oh no! Your boss destroyed all your hard work already?

I'm glad you took a picture of the hearse because I just wouldn't have been able to picture it in my mind:eek: I thought I'd seen alot of strange things but that is so funny.

Hi Lisa! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

Those surrey bikes look like a lot of fun. We will have to check that out when Josie gets a little bigger. :goodvibes

Lisa,
sounds like a wonderful time you guys had with Lacey. I was so happy to hear that she was able to come spend some time with you; sounds like you had a great heart to heart about their future.

Congrats! on a great job at the office...sounds like you are getting ready for a major road trip!!! :mickeyjum

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Hey Lisa :wave:. I hope your weekend is going good :thumbsup2. I know you had a great weekend last weekend with Lacey home.

Congrats to Jesse for his excellent choice on a future wife :love:. I know it felt funny with him asking ya'll. It was weird when Matt asked us.

You sound like us and gambling; Dale and I will take $20 each and when it's gone, we leave........:lmao:.

I hope it is sunny when we are at Disney this year. I want to spend some time at the pool and maybe riding a surrey bike.

I would love to see a picture of that Elvis tree!

And that hearse/donkey combo was too funny!

It sounds like Jesse is a good boy. That's good that they are so open and want to hear your thoughts about marriage. :goodvibes

I've always thought it would be fun to rent one of those surrey bikes!

I'm going crazy over here! We'll be there sooooo soon! :yay:

Lisa, I am so glad I found your trip report! I had been on the other one (stop making me laugh lol) but got off kilter with disboards back in November when my fil died.

Your trip is so close and even though we have only been back about five or six weeks now, I am so envious! But very happy.

We took my mom with us to WDW back in 2004, one of our best trips (she has since passed away) and I can't wait to read about this one once you are there and back. I know it will be fun for me to relive my special memories with my mama as I read about your trip with yours!

Planet Hollywood isn't my fave either, but to do those two dinner shows, I think it will be well worth it! We love HDDR and really want to try the Luau one of these days too.

Well, we missed you there for a week but you have redeemed yourself and caught up nicely now! So happy you had such a nice visit with Lacey and Jesse, and can look forward to seeing them in July.

I think the slow day in the middle of the trip is so smart. It really gives you flexibility too, in case you have bad weather one day.

I am getting so excited, and I know you are too. I really need to get my packing planning in gear, though. I have a bunch of things in my WDW box and I keep throwing things in, but I need to take stock so I can make the rounds of Target, Dollar Tree, and Walmart to fill in the missing blanks.

Hope your boss's mom does well. Sounds like she (and he) are nice people.

Good morning Lisa!

Very exciting about Lacey and Jesse! Planning a wedding...now that should be fun! :woohoo:

Sounds like you have been a very busy bee at work! WOW! Isn't it amazing how much we can get done when we really set our minds to it? :rolleyes1

I agree that the best part of AK is the details. It is easy to miss them, but I think the Imagineers outdid themselves there. :thumbsup2

I just found the Mickey Mart when Jeff and I were in DTD last Sunday...how did I miss that place?? I love a good bargain as well so we spent a good amount of time in there!

Hi, Lisa

I've missed you this week but I understand getting everything caught up. See below our ticker only 4 months away :cool1:
What am I doing wrong not having the ticker show up?

Well, I had to go back.......Somewhere I had missed about Lacey and Jesse! How exciting!

Your ticker says DAYS now! :banana:

Only a few more days til your trip now!!! :banana:

I just love your surrey bike pictures. I absolutely cannot wait to rent one. We are going to have so much fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter