Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original point of the FastPass system was to better manage the length of lines in the parks. Part of that was to put it in was to be fair to everyone. The paper fast pass system was fair to everyone since anyone could walk up and get one as long as they were available. It's a very bad look for an expensive park like Disney World to start allowing people to pay more to cut the line. It may work well in other parks, but there aren't any other parks like Disney World.
I understand completely what you're saying, but in reality, the paper fastpass system was NOT fair to everyone. It completely favored early risers and fast walkers, especially on days the parks were full. By the time some folks got to the park, the FPs were gone - so having the opportunity to do it online and know you have a FP or 2 was much simpler, and in ways fairer. The only actual "fair" system is the really old way to do it - get there, go to the attraction, and wait in line.

And this doesn't mean I'm a fan of purchasing FPs - it just adds to the problem of everyone having access to them. But short of doing away with FPs, not sure of the best way to handle all of it. Maybe with the reopening around the pandemic, and what appears to be a period without FPs, perhaps they'll revisit the FP system.

So back to the paper fastpasses, essentially. No thanks. That was terrible for non-rope droppers.
Then it's fair to everyone as you and others want. By staying on site you are essentially paying for FP that you are so against. You got to pay if you want to play.

Do any of you read the benefits paid FP that I posted have?

Being able to ride attractions multiple times with low wait times is a major bonus.

Do you not go to other theme parks? Have you ever bought fast passes?

Just Six Flags now and then. No I have not paid for a fast pass anywhere. Many people who go to Disney don't go to other theme parks. I'm beginning to see this concept is hard for you to understand since you seem to bring it up all the time. I'm a Disney parks fan not a roller coaster junkie. I enjoy vacationing other places besides amusement parks. I'm certain I'm not the only one. I'm sure paid fast passes are great and all but again, for a family of 5 who is already paying huge money for tickets just to get in, making FP all paid leaves a sour taste, for me personally.

I understand completely what you're saying, but in reality, the paper fastpass system was NOT fair to everyone. It completely favored early risers and fast walkers, especially on days the parks were full. By the time some folks got to the park, the FPs were gone - so having the opportunity to do it online and know you have a FP or 2 was much simpler, and in ways fairer. The only actual "fair" system is the really old way to do it - get there, go to the attraction, and wait in line.

And this doesn't mean I'm a fan of purchasing FPs - it just adds to the problem of everyone having access to them. But short of doing away with FPs, not sure of the best way to handle all of it. Maybe with the reopening around the pandemic, and what appears to be a period without FPs, perhaps they'll revisit the FP system.
That's a valid point. I was meaning to say that it was fair to everyone of different economic statuses. It wasn't possible to pay more to get the Fast Passes, everyone was able to rope drop a park. I actually like FP+. It only requires me to get up at 7AM on one day to book all of the fast passes for my trip and about half an hour to create a plan to go by. It really isn't that much work, but we're Disney veterans so we basically make just about the same fast passes for every trip and really only need fast passes for the top level attractions.

The only issue I really see with the fast pass system right now is that Disney gives out too many and it chokes up the standby line at a lot of attractions. I'm really not sure how best to address that though.

The only issue I really see with the fast pass system right now is that Disney gives out too many and it chokes up the standby line at a lot of attractions. I'm really not sure how best to address that though.
Agree 100%. The regular FPs and purchased FPs really impact those standby lines. And another fact about the FPs people don't always talk about - whenever there is the slightest blip in a guests vacation experience - what's the first thing they do? They give out comp FPs. I've seen them hand out those all-day/most attraction FPs like candy - MORE backup of the standby lines.

Wonder if they'll offer temporary park reservations slots and/or virtual queue slots for purchase next?

That's a valid point. I was meaning to say that it was fair to everyone of different economic statuses. It wasn't possible to pay more to get the Fast Passes, everyone was able to rope drop a park. I actually like FP+. It only requires me to get up at 7AM on one day to book all of the fast passes for my trip and about half an hour to create a plan to go by. It really isn't that much work, but we're Disney veterans so we basically make just about the same fast passes for every trip and really only need fast passes for the top level attractions.

Its easy to address with keeping it free. Get rid of FP+ but keep it free. They have to lower the amount of FP given out and make it like MaxPass. As an example only give out 50 FP per ride per hour.

It sucks for rope drop people but it does make the FP more like other parks. The point of FP is to have lower wait times and being able to get on multiple attractions. At Disney it feels like it's more a planning tool.

Then it's fair to everyone as you and others want. By staying on site you are essentially paying for FP that you are so against. You got to pay if you want to play.

Being able to ride attractions multiple times with low wait times is a major bonus.

I do that just fine with FP+. It may not be all on the same day, but I've had no issues getting even FOP 2-3 times every trip. Fastpass lines are almost always under 10 minutes, unless a ride is having issues or had broken down earlier in the day.\\

I don't see how I'm paying for FP+ by staying onsite. Everyone can use FP+, I just get to book it earlier.

I do that just fine with FP+. It may not be all on the same day, but I've had no issues getting even FOP 2-3 times every trip. Fastpass lines are almost always under 10 minutes, unless a ride is having issues or had broken down earlier in the day.\\

I don't see how I'm paying for FP+ by staying onsite. Everyone can use FP+, I just get to book it earlier.
You are technically paying for early access by paying high prices to stay in property. How is that fair for some one who can't afford to stay on property? People want FP to be fair for everyone. To make it fair FP+ needs to go and it become day of. Their have been rumors that when it does come back its going to look like that.

Without lowered crowds (and who knows, that may happen now), you can play as many games with distribution of FP or whatever the current version is as you want but at the end of the day speeding up the FP lines/not requiring time slots will just have to mean there are less people using the system either by limiting availability or charging for it.

I think it’s disingenuous to talk about different systems making things better without addressing that they only do it because so many people would have to be shut out of it to make it true. The nice thing about FP+ and former FP- was the only barrier to maximizing the system was your own know how and motivation. It wasn’t as easy as an express pass that just lets you do what you wanted when you wanted, but with a bit of effort FP+ could allow you to get a lot done.

And just because I have to say it every time, Disney has always let you buy yourself an unlimited FP allowing you to frequent as much or as little attractions as you wanted. It’s human, wears plaid, and costs thousands a day.

Without lowered crowds (and who knows, that may happen now), you can play as many games with distribution of FP or whatever the current version is as you want but at the end of the day speeding up the FP lines/not requiring time slots will just have to mean there are less people using the system either by limiting availability or charging for it.

I think it’s disingenuous to talk about different systems making things better without addressing that they only do it because so many people would have to be shut out of it to make it true. The nice thing about FP+ and former FP- was the only barrier to maximizing the system was your own know how and motivation. It wasn’t as easy as an express pass that just lets you do what you wanted when you wanted, but with a bit of effort FP+ could allow you to get a lot done.

And just because I have to say it every time, Disney has always let you buy yourself an unlimited FP allowing you to frequent as much or as little attractions as you wanted. It’s human, wears plaid, and costs thousands a day.
But you can keep it free just drop the amount of FPs given out per ride per day. What's wrong with that?

If I understand your points about paid fast passes, I'm not sure it actually works the way you are describing. You still have a specific time window for your fast pass - it's just scheduled 90 days in advance, not 60, so you're pretty well guaranteed the time you want. You can also have multiple tier 1s and can actually cross theme parks with the purchased FPs. But you cannot get FPs for the same attraction multiple times - still only separate attractions. So I don't think 'no time window' and 'ride attractions multiple times' are actually benefits of the paid system. But overall, the benefits are attractive.

Apparently, this long running 'pilot program' was successful, though - not sure they'll take that option back. But who knows.....

But you can keep it free just drop the amount of FPs given out per ride per day. What's wrong with that?

That will limit availability and still restrict ones ability to use it as frequently as you are talking about.

ETA - when FP+ came on the scene they had to add it at a bunch of attractions that didn’t need it (among other things, like tiers and messing with the ratio) in order to have enough options to distribute to everyone. Without that, things sell out much faster.

That will limit availability and still restrict ones ability to use it as frequently as you are talking about.
And that's a bad thing? People are just going to have to rope drop and hope they get what they want. FP wait times should be 20 mins tops.

And that's a bad thing? People are just going to have to rope drop and hope they get what they want. FP wait times should be 20 mins tops.

It usually is around that if not less. The worst offenders are the attractions where the merge point is too early, so it’s not the FP line necessarily it’s the painful post merge waits at things like Soarin’ making it take a long time.

And yes it can be a bad thing, and conflicts with what you say you want (the ability to use it frequently and on lots of attractions).

They already are, barring rides going down. :confused3
The mad rush first thing in the morning was the worst part about the old FP system. The best thing about FP+ is being able to schedule things so you don't have to be at a park first thing.

The mad rush first thing in the morning was the worst part about the old FP system. The best thing about FP+ is being able to schedule things so you don't have to be at a park first thing.

Picking your own times is my must keep from FP+. I really did like FP- but that flexibility and the ability to keep changing it if you need to (subject to availability) is huge.

I hope whatever we get it remains included (I won’t say free, lol) and we can select our own time slots.

I just want the 60 day thing to stop. I want 30-45 days at most. I would be happy to dump FP all together and just make it so the really top rides require some kind of VQ. FP for SE and Figment is so dumb.

So true. While it was fun once in a while to do the rush at rope-drop, it became tiresome to have to do it every park day.

With fast pass plus we can rope drop certain days if we want to, but also we can leisurely have coffee and get ready and walk into park after opening crowds. We love it. Miss any lines to get in and the buses are less crowded!

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and I think part of the reason I would be against a paid FP system at WDW but I'm ok with it at USO is because WDW already has all of these "additions" you can purchase like EMM, After Dark, Dessert parties and the like. Other parks don't really have those kind of things or atleast not in the abundance that WDW does. So it would make me feel like it was just one more thing I needed to pay extra for in order to get the best WDW experience. Like I'm being nickle & dimed.

And I say this as someone who could more than afford to pay for FP, so not being able to utilize paid FP isn't part of why I don't want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter