PALS FOREVER 4/28/12 FANTASY PRE-Trip Report

taswira

"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!
THE CAST:
Me – Taswira (Shari) - My 16th DCL cruise
My Best Friend – ThePhantomsGirl (Holly) – Her 2nd DCL cruise

THE CREW:
My Duffy the Disney Bear - His 4th DCL cruise
Holly’s Shellie Mae - Soon to be adopted! (NOTE: She decided to get Shellie Mae instead of Duffy)
Holly’s plush Chip - of Chip ‘n’ Dale

BACKGROUND:
I met Holly online when she first posted on the DIS in Dec. ‘04. She moved to FL in early ’05. I first met her in person while she was working at Shrek at Universal Orlando. Our meeting was brief, but I instantly knew we’d become great friends. We have since spent countless happy days at WDW and occasionally Universal, shared a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Coronado Springs Resort, and she joined me in January ’07 for our Pal Mickey Gathering at Sea on the Disney Magic. :sail:

My most recent cruise was going solo on the 12/4/10 Magic. It was my 14th, but since my first was a College of Disney Knowledge Agent Education Program Disney Cruise College” at Sea, DCL doesn’t count that one so in their view it was my 13th. Since I am more than a bit superstitious, I guess that’s why it turned out to be my Murphy’s Law cruise, where almost anything that could go wrong did from the moment I arrived at the port - in fact, from the day before the cruise. I did not write a trip report or post the miserable details, because that was supposed to be my best cruise ever. It was the Chip ‘n’ Dale’s Cruisin’ Nuts cruise I had planned for two years. I could have laughed it off if only one or two or perhaps half a dozen things had gone wrong, but this was never-ending and I finally gave up and accepted that’s how it would be. For this one to go so wrong put me in a major depression for quite awhile. :sad1:

But I want to say that ALL the DISers on that cruise were awesome. Although I bowed out of what was supposed to be a 2011 Chip ‘n’ Dale’s Cruisin’ Nuts sequel, the Murphy’s Law sailing was NOT to be my final Disney cruise. I first switched to a non-holiday early November sailing, but after a discussion with Holly, we decided to share a cabin and splurge on a Cat. T Concierge Suite on the new Disney Fantasy, sail date 28 April 2012. Since Holly and I are best friends (but live more than a couple hours apart) and we are bringing some of our plush pals, we have dubbed this our “Pals Forever” sailing. :grouphug:

Note: DCL has since decided to count my Disney Cruise College sailing, so the "Murphy's Law" one "officially" became the 14th.

Next Up: Why Cat. T Concierge?

Why Cat. T Concierge?
... because we can't afford a Cat. R Royal Suite! :rotfl2:

It’s been my pleasure on the Magic and the Wonder to travel in a regular verandah or (my personal favorite) Navigator verandah aft stateroom. I know those ships inside out and could probably find my way throughout with my eyes closed, if not for maneuvering around other Guests - lol. The Fantasy is a whole new ballpark. ::yes::

The Fantasy is the sister ship of the Dream. While I have not sailed on the Dream, there have been mixed reviews regarding how crowded it feels. I don’t know if the 4/28/12 Fantasy will be fully booked, but I’m not taking any chances. I don’t do well in packed crowds. I feel borderline claustrophobic. I need room to breathe. For that reason, and since I am trying to regain that “Disney cruising magic” after my “Murphy’s Law” cruise, I decided Concierge is the way to go on this, my first Fantasy cruise. :boat:

I first booked a Cat. V solo, but it wasn’t long before Holly and I decided to pool our resources and splurge on a Cat. T one bedroom suite. We both value our “personal space” and decided we did not want to share less space than our previous Cat. 5 on the Magic. Since staterooms on the new ships are somewhat smaller, a suite it is for us! I have volunteered to sleep on the convertible sofa, as I don’t mind at all. I’ll set out a few of my favorite framed photos and will make myself right at home next to the verandah. :coffee:

Next up: Inside the mind of an OCD packer!

Hi! I'm Holly the best friend of Shari, who is sharing the Cat T with her. :banana: I am sooooo looking forward to this cruise. I would have been with Shari on her Murphy's Law cruise, but I had to cancel. Maybe it would have been better if I'd gone...but we'll never know. THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE THE BEST EVER!

I'm thrilled you are doing a pre-trip report and will Chip in (sorry couldn't resist) with any bits of info or observations I have.

Inside the mind of an OCD packer

It would be a gross understatement to say that I "sweat the details" when it comes to packing. Those who know me personally will say I perspire anyway if the temp is over 70 degrees. It would be fruitless to deny that. Give me "cool" and I'm happy. :cool:

But back to the topic at hand: I have my own system and rules for packing. It may have developed when I was a teen and was limited to one suitcase when I did a nationwide tour as a member of a pop-rock group .. or maybe when I had the same limitations at 17 on a summer-long study tour in Europe .. or perhaps my packing style was set in stone by the time I did my first African safari and the restriction was "one medium duffel" bag. Whatever inspired me to form my packing opinions and habits, they have not changed over the years.

BTW - My packing style works FOR ME. It would probably not work for families, and definitely not for anyone who has a hard time deciding what to wear. So I am NOT saying that anyone here should copy my methods. This is only a pre-trip report/blog and is in no way meant to be unsolicited advice. ;)

My Rule #1: Ignore any "must have" advice about "things to take on a cruise." Some people may need an over-the-door shoe hangar, a yellow marker pen, a full-size first aid kit, an umbrella, a variety of electric hair styling appliances, duct tape, 5+ pair of shoes, a laptop, an iPod, a personal DVD player, chargers for all of those, carry-on beverages and snacks, etc. Fine for them, not for me. :ssst:

I am so excessively organized that an over-the door hangar would confuse me, as well as take up space. I pack everything in categorized, clear plastic ZipLoc bags, have a place for everything and everything in its place. The other aforementioned items? I don't need them or, if I do, will get them onboard to avoid carrying them on.

I discovered through trial and error that I really don't need to carry the charger for my digital camera. A full charge easily lasts a few hundred shots, which is the maximum I've done on a week's cruise.

With my smartphone I can listen to music, shoot photos and HD video, and write my journal. Bringing that and its charger will serve my needs. I may or may not bring my digital camera on this one, but definitely not the charger. :)

Rule #2: Make a packing list and ONLY take what is on that list. I start with non-clothing "essentials," which are basically the same for every cruise. I then make a list for each day of the cruise and each part of the day (Morning, Mid-Day, Dinner/Evening), and further breaking it down to Formal Night, Palo High Tea, Palo Brunch, Palo Dinner, etc. I must say that with the exception of shoes, I never wear the same evening attire twice, but that I mix and match daytime clothing and occasionally repeat some items there.

Rule #3: ONE medium suitcase (checked) and ONE carry-on bag. No exceptions. :thumbsup2

Rule #4: Use functional luggage and pack it right. The bag I check has a built in garment section. That's where my long dresses go. For the main compartment, I guess what I do is a combination of the "bundle" method and rolling. I stuff socks or smaller items into shoes. I place any fragile items in the middle of the "bundle" if not in my carry-on.

Rule #5: I think this is really my Rule #1. LESS IS MORE! Taking less means having more room in the car on the way to the port, more space and less clutter in the stateroom, and makes it easy to unpack, organize and re-pack because there is less of it. :goodvibes

Up Next: My Fantasy (Things I hope to do aboard)

My Fantasy (Things I plan/hope to do aboard)

• Margaritas or my favorite Apple Black Martini on the verandah
  • Private Wine & Cheese Party with Duffy (This IS Disney, after all!)
  • Deck 4 - for exercise, relaxation and observation ;)
  • Concierge Lounge - Complimentary snacks & beverages away from the crowd
  • Concierge Sun Deck - Evening or early morning relaxation (since I hate the heat), snacks & beverages
  • Sit-down breakfast in the dining room - Because I like it like that!
  • Palo - High Tea, Brunch & Dinner (Been there, love that, doing it again!)
  • In-Suite Dining - Occasionally, maybe even once for dinner (for a quieter environment)
  • La Piazza - Must at least spend a bit of time in that one
  • The Tube - I shall peek in the doorway to see how people look sitting on those little pedestal barstools :lmao:
  • Skyline - I will give that one a try when/if it isn't too crowded
  • Ooh La La - I am curious to see if any MEN will hang out there :rotfl2:
  • Hang out in the Suite - Because I can, and because I'm not sure when/if I'll be in a DCL suite again!

This list is only the beginning. I have nearly a year to keep adding to it! :surfweb:

omg sounds like a relaxing vacation. Love the pics with the mickeys...lol..I told myself I was bringin my DUffy to my next cruise!!

Thanks, MommaMouse411! :goodvibes

I'm not one of those who carries a plush everywhere I go, but there are wonderful photo ops with them on DCL, just as at WDW.

I forgot to post the link to pics from my Duffy's first cruise, but you will find that HERE. It was so much fun because the crew members had just read about him in the company newsletter that same week. I got mine early at the annual passholder preview, before his general public release. They were surprised to see him aboard already, and he got the royal treatment. :thumbsup2

Be sure to take yours when you sail. You'll have a blast! :banana:

I love your list of things to do. A few things I might add:

Martini Tasting
Mixology Class
Margarita Tasting

Would LOVE to do a backstage tour, not sure if they do those any longer.

Relax! I want to really savor each and every moment while being IN the moment.

I definitely want to check out the new clubs. Not sure I'd like The Tube, but it would amuse me seeing people trying to fit in those seats. I know I wouldn't...

I agree with you...I wonder how many "manly men" will want to go anywhere near "Ooh La La". If you have to pass through there to other bars, then it might be worthwhile just sitting there watching guys trying to get through there as fast as possible!

Holly - Unless you have heard something different, all the lounges surely must be separate like on the Magic and Wonder. You'd go to the "district," in this case "Europa," and walk to the various clubs, each with their own entrance.

Maybe we'll have to find a couple of solo men, talk them into going to Ooh La La with us, then watch them squirm in that environment - lol. Just kidding! :rotfl2:

But I do think that of the lounges/clubs, only Skyline and O'Gill's Pub look the slightest bit "manly." The Tube I'm uncertain of, but am anxious to see if the seats they end up with are the same as those in the illustration!

My PRE-Trip Packing Habit

With the exception of the items I use regularly that get packed just before heading to the port, I pack ahead. I don't mean a week, a month or even a few months ahead. How about a year, or sometimes more? This could be a boring post, so read at your own risk. :rolleyes1

I guess you could say I began packing for this cruise as soon as I returned from the last one. Among the items already packed: Travel size toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss, antiperspirant deodorant, baby powder, hand sanitizer and hair products. Also facial cleanser, moisturizer, disposable razor, Band-aids, Bonine, Imodium (expiration dates are good), throat lozenges (because I talk too much!), SoftSoap pump (less mess than bar soap), Renuzit solid air freshener, Kleenex pocket pack, ZipLoc bags, mesh bag, shower thongs, daily disposable contact lenses (enough for the cruise plus a few extra pair), plus various clothing that I only tend to wear when cruising. In Addition: A small zippered cosmetic bag with new (never used) blush, eye shadow, eye liner pencil, lip liner pencil and lipstick. I'll add mascara later, as it can get old. :earsgirl:

Obsessive, yes, but I've never forgotten anything, never needed anything I didn't take and never taken anything I didn't use (be it clothing or other) unless it's a first-aid item. And I stick to my self-imposed luggage limit. :goodvibes

I do have to laugh when I see a thread posted asking if packing a month ahead is crazy. Only a month? Start whenever you like! It's a great way to get organized, ahead of the game and in the spirit of the cruise, and makes it seem closer. Just make sure you have a system. Otherwise you may forget things or end up with duplicates or triplicates. :rotfl2:

I am sooo the opposite of you. I will likely pack the afternoon before I leave for the cruise.

I WILL however have a list and know what I am taking well before the cruise. I get certain things like toiletries in advance so I have them. I hate running around the day or two before, I want to already have the items.

For me, the day before I leave is for pampering items like pedicures.

Yep - We are total opposites in many ways! :lmao:

Another of my reasons for putting my mind at rest by being packed and ready far ahead (although I agree it doesn't NEED to be THAT far ahead), is in case something comes up. Consider what happened the day before my last cruise. :eek:

If I waited until the day before the cruise to pack, I'd be stressed, I'd OVERPACK, I'd end up taking things I wouldn't use or wear and needing things I didn't take. Not for me! My strange packing method and timing is as natural to me as driving a car. It is an ingrained habit that happens to work - - for ME, not for the majority of people, so I understand that.

I am not one to indulge in self-pampering. I never have. No manicures, pedicures, massages or such for me. I'm self-contained - LOL. Gee - I even hate going for my once-a-year haircut! :rotfl2:

But if you plan on coming up here the day before the cruise and car-pooling it again to split the parking fee, you MIGHT want to get your packing and pampering done at least 2 days ahead instead of one, no? :banana:

Ha ha- that's why I put it - "the day before I leave". I'd count the day coming to your house as sort of part of the cruise.

I am determined to have a little pre-cruise party that afternoon or early evening! If ever a cruise deserved it, for us, THIS one should! :goodvibes

If it weren't that near Spring Break - I'd say we need to do a WDW day just before - but I would be VERY happy with a pre-cruise party!

I'm not going anywhere near WDW within a couple of weeks of the cruise. Spring break, crowds, potentially catching something. Naw. I'm going to do EVERYTHING possible to stay healthy and that means avoiding those crowds. I don't even want so much as the sniffles! :rolleyes1

We'll have our own party - either here at the house, or possibly at the Downwind and THEN the house! In any case, Duffy, Shellie Mae & Chip will be participating. :cool1:

Thoughts on DCL's no-split-beds on their new ships (and our Cat. T suite)

I am bringing this up for anyone who may not be aware of DCL's sleeping arrangements on the new ships. My opinion on DCL's reasons for not having queen beds that split into twins on the new ships is their bottom line: to save space (enabling smaller rooms and more of them), work time (fewer beds to make), and money (fewer sets of bedding). Some people may appreciate the under-bed space for luggage storage, but I never had a problem storing mine beneath the beds on the Magic and the Wonder. Besides, if that was the reason, they could have simply raised the height of the beds. The irony is that in our suite, there are storage drawers under the one bed in the bedroom, so I'm assuming the luggage has to go elsewhere. :confused3

While the majority of DCL cruisers are families and most of the parents choose to sleep together, some may not, for various reasons (snoring, body size, restless sleeper, etc.). Additionally, Disney DOES have single parents with kids or traveling with an older teen child, and even more importantly, UNRELATED adult FRIENDS who are NOT comfortable sleeping in the same bed together.

That is the situation for us on this cruise. As I said before, it doesn't bother me to sleep on a convertible sofa, so I was quick to settle on that arrangement. I was, however, looking forward to using the big spacious bathroom in the suite. I have since had second thoughts about that, after realizing that apparently one needs to walk through the bedroom to get to the master bath. For that reason, I'll only be using the smaller bathroom. I would rather do that than be traipsing through the bedroom. Maybe a lot of people wouldn't give it a second thought, but I respect the privacy and space of others.

So I'm making this post in the hope that someone with clout from DCL might eventually read it and heed it, for any new ships beyond the Fantasy. :)

• Revert to splittable beds, especially in the suites. Don't make adult friends sailing together have to decide who gets the one bed, especially at premium suite prices!
  • Design the suites with access to the master bath without passing through the master bedroom. Have a door from each if possible, or just around the corner.
  • Keep your bragging rights by NOT downsizing the rooms on future ships. UPsize instead!

Thanks DCL! :cool1:

I so agree with you on the beds! Disney is making it difficult for adult friends.

Back to pre-trip fun. I am in the process of trying to adopt a little girl from Japan....well that is a little girl BEAR! Hopefully a Shellie May will be joining me on this cruise so she can share it with Duffy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter